difference between the grade of gifts?

DarkenDragon

ok heres what I understand so far, that each companion likes a certain types of items and have different levels of affection for them.

and how higher the rarity gives more affection bonus for that type of item

but I want to know is how does the grade of the item effect the affection?

I understand that each 2k of affection the companion gains 1 rank and that if the gift is the same rank as the companion's affection you get either 0, 24, 54, and 96 affection and each rarity increases it by 50% of the previous rarity (so green is 100%, blue is 150%, and purple is 200%)

and finally I know giving a companion a gift thats lower rank than their affection rank will reduce the amount you get.

but what about the vice versa? how is that calculated? if I have a new companion with no affection, how much do I get if I give them a rank 5 gift?

I did a little test with gault when I first got him and I was getting rank 3 gifts from my mission quests. I gave him a green item he favourated and got 70 and something he loved he got 125

these ended up being only small values compared to the rank 1 gifts, so does this mean that giving them higher rank gifts are just a waste of money compared to giving them gifts of their own level?

does this also mean its best not to get gift items from missions until you get all companions (or at least enough companions that each item can be used) otherwise you'll just end up wasting bag space? or end up with gifts you cant use and will be forced to sell?

I believe you get slightly more/less at +/- 1.

I have the same issue with my comps. I have all of them, and I have 2 nearly maxed, 1 in the rank 3s ( around 5k), and the other 2 are still rank 1.

I think the BEST way is probably buy their favorite gifts from the fleet vendor until rank 3, then you can use rank 4s for everyone. Since they'll give slightly more to the lower level guys, and only slightly less to the ones that aren't maxed.

does this also mean its best not to get gift items from missions until you get all companions (or at least enough companions that each item can be used) otherwise you'll just end up wasting bag space? or end up with gifts you cant use and will be forced to sell?

Hah, yeah, I had this problem. I had to offload all my gifts to an alt until I had the companions to use them on.