Mercenary seems to be lacking compared to other classes?

Zuesy

wrong, they dont do ridiculous OP damage...all of those big numbers you see in warfront are just because BH have lot of aoe.....so they hot lets say 2k crit but on 6 player..wich make lot of damage, but single target we are far from the ridiculous OP damage that ppl think:D

My 4.5k tracer missiles + 5.5k heatseekers say hi.

I am valor rank 52 with 3/5 Champion and 2/5 Columni (for the tracer +15% critical). I am sitting just under 10% expertise (I had 5/5 Champion with 11% expertise but I switched over to the raid gear for more offensive power), 17444 self-buffed HP and 31.29% unbuffed critical rating with ~70% surge.

We do some of the most amazing burst in the game. Our class is perfectly fine in PvP.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 4.5k tracer missiles + 5.5k heatseekers say hi.

I am valor rank 52 with 3/5 Champion and 2/5 Columni (for the tracer +15% critical). I am sitting just under 10% expertise (I had 5/5 Champion with 11% expertise but I switched over to the raid gear for more offensive power), 17444 self-buffed HP and 31.29% unbuffed critical rating with ~70% surge.

We do some of the most amazing burst in the game. Our class is perfectly fine in PvP.

im valor 64 and im wearing 3 battlemaster pieces,i have 40% critical rating,73% surge and 13%,expertise,i managed to hit 2.3k crit on an assasin that was battlemaster/champion geared like me,stop comparing the damage on lowbies to our actual damage,i can crit too 6.5k crit on someone with 0 expertise by simply activating a relic and the expertise charge

oh well seems that we have to wait for the 50 brackets till people outthere realize the truth...

I have to agree, my only gripe with Merc and its a very minor one is the lack of an interrupt specifically for PvE and I only care about that because there are so many PvE encounters focused around interrupts. Though if your tank is good this isn't a problem, but it can be a pain if you're Merc + Merc for DPS....

yes yes... i should learn to play... i suck, not the class... MMOs and PvP is not for me... i should go back to WoW or whatever MMO i came from... blah blah blah... flame on lads...

But simple fact is, this geniusly designed class has the mobility of a mountain, the inter ability tree synergies that a pencil and dishwasher has between them, totally relies on building up on a spam of 1.5 sec cast ability (which also happen to have the animation timer issues but all classes have it... BH just need to spam it...) that can be interrupted and locked... and it goes on...

Any half intelligent player with equal level (and gear) can mop the ground with a mercenary... and it is not really wisely designed especially for PvP (even when you consider that PvP is a group effort and Merc is a Turret DPS class)...

dream on about your burst and uberness...

regards

yes yes... i should learn to play... i suck, not the class... MMOs and PvP is not for me... i should go back to WoW or whatever MMO i came from... blah blah blah... flame on lads...

But simple fact is, this geniusly designed class has the mobility of a mountain, the inter ability tree synergies that a pencil and dishwasher has between them, totally relies on building up on a spam of 1.5 sec cast ability (which also happen to have the animation timer issues but all classes have it... BH just need to spam it...) that can be interrupted and locked... and it goes on...

Any half intelligent player with equal level (and gear) can mop the ground with a mercenary... and it is not really wisely designed especially for PvP (even when you consider that PvP is a group effort and Merc is a Turret DPS class)...

dream on about your burst and uberness...

regards

^ this pretty much sums up every dumb statement on this topic

mercs with 500 expertise and the werden spec should never die in 1v1 even against an operative.

simple mercs are sick, i could post 20 screen shots of me being immortal in pugs top of healing top of damage

i also see tons of mercs doing no healing and crap damage. its just a play issue or gear issue or both.

dont run in the middle and try and fight everything. stay at range all the time run if out numbered pick squishy targets.

i tell everyone that wants to be good at pvp the first thing you have to learn is how to survive

As people mentioned, you need to know when to use your abilities in order to survive in PvP.

Our CURE erases all dots and slows. This is huge. If a Marauder comes at you, they stack their dots. Hit cure, and throw them and they are basically toast at that point.

If Sorcs or whatever are slowing and damaging you, the safest bet is to hit Cure and then instant-cast your long CC.

Other classes do other things that are nifty, true. We can't have EVERYTHING. Maybe people should go play those if they like them so much. The Sorc shield or bubble does seem a tad OP to me. Especially with the recast timer.

If you want an uber shield then spec in to Pyro tree. That turns the shield in to a pretty fantastic ability.

I play Arsenal and do pretty well. I get murdered when i get 2/3 v 1 and I am in the middle of an area and can't escape anywhere. That is not the place to be for our class.

Sometimes it is better to run than to fight. I consider it a victory if I can keep 3-4 of the other teams players occupied. THat means the rest of my team is scoring or obtaining the objective. I kind of laugh when 2-3 players just try to kill me and on some corner of the map. Have at it and enjoy the kill. Meanwhile guess who won the Warzone?

Players/Classes that seem OP are the actual players taking the time to understand the class and spec accordingly. They are using high-level stims and using PvP stims/healthpacks. Those are veery important.

There was an Op in one HUttball match that was doing CRAZY burst DPS. I was very impressed. Was I mad? no! I was impressed at what that Op was able to accomplish. The first 2 times I was taken out in maybe 10 secs. However, the last 2-3 times I learned the Ops strategies and used my abilities to try to counter them. It worked for the most part.

ps: take the time to become a 400 cybertech and you can have 1 more stun in your arsenal from the epic grenade. It is VERY useful. Getting to 400 in a craft is very simple at level 50.

As people mentioned, you need to know when to use your abilities in order to survive in PvP.

Our CURE erases all dots and slows. This is huge. If a Marauder comes at you, they stack their dots. Hit cure, and throw them and they are basically toast at that point.

If Sorcs or whatever are slowing and damaging you, the safest bet is to hit Cure and then instant-cast your long CC.

Other classes do other things that are nifty, true. We can't have EVERYTHING. Maybe people should go play those if they like them so much. The Sorc shield or bubble does seem a tad OP to me. Especially with the recast timer.

If you want an uber shield then spec in to Pyro tree. That turns the shield in to a pretty fantastic ability.

I play Arsenal and do pretty well. I get murdered when i get 2/3 v 1 and I am in the middle of an area and can't escape anywhere. That is not the place to be for our class.

Sometimes it is better to run than to fight. I consider it a victory if I can keep 3-4 of the other teams players occupied. THat means the rest of my team is scoring or obtaining the objective. I kind of laugh when 2-3 players just try to kill me and on some corner of the map. Have at it and enjoy the kill. Meanwhile guess who won the Warzone?

Players/Classes that seem OP are the actual players taking the time to understand the class and spec accordingly. They are using high-level stims and using PvP stims/healthpacks. Those are veery important.

There was an Op in one HUttball match that was doing CRAZY burst DPS. I was very impressed. Was I mad? no! I was impressed at what that Op was able to accomplish. The first 2 times I was taken out in maybe 10 secs. However, the last 2-3 times I learned the Ops strategies and used my abilities to try to counter them. It worked for the most part.

ps: take the time to become a 400 cybertech and you can have 1 more stun in your arsenal from the epic grenade. It is VERY useful. Getting to 400 in a craft is very simple at level 50.

you cant dispel sorcs/sages dots,just sayng,while they can dispel yours

the fact that you are doing CRAZY burst dps is because you are facing undergeared players how many times do i have to explain that?

about we cant have everything in the arsenal,i agree,but an aoe knockdown a stun with 1 min CD and an incapacitate with 2 second cast time are hardly enough,leave alone the sorcerer,do you know how many tools the assasin has to tear us to pieces?,sprint vanish force pull cloak of shadow,and they have the exactly same amount of our CC abilities,aoe knockdown stun and incapacitate plus the interrupt that we lack,there isnt a single thing that we can do and they cant besides heals

this makes the class more versatile and guess what?,more fun,the only thing that we can do is shooting missiles at people when we have a jetpack that it's not useful for anything besides a cool looking animation from DoA

and avoid claiming that classes that seems OP are guys who actually learned to play the class,there is a sage on my server that im never able to kill,(he is equally geared as me),because he has the tools to counter me in any possible way.

i cast tracer he interrupts me

he cast the dot i cant dispell it

he cast teletinetik throw i cant interrupt it,and what if i try to use the rocket punch knockback to do it? I CANT,he slows me with it and i cant reach him without eating 5k of damage

im finally able to land 2 tracers?,his shield eats them

if im miracolously able to burst him down he can activate force speed and disappear instantly and since my only snare is a channeled one that ALWAYS delays a second before activating i cant stop him

i can literally write every scenario with almost any competent equally geared class,(with the exception of someone)but in the end im getting my *** whooped everytime

and before starting with the same crappy statement"lololol nub L2P" im valor rank 64 and i own 3 pieces of the battlemaster set combined with champion gear,i know that gear and rank does not mean skill but trust me,i know how to play my class slighy above average.

to those who think that we are fine,yes we are fine till we get targeted,if you are able to escape it's because you are on a ledge,your opponent doesnt know how to play their class,or he is undergeared or underleveled.

dude why dont you heal? med pack koloto shield, if he interupts your tracer missile you can cast heal without interuption.

stop whining find a better spec and sort yourself out.

a well played merc is awesome.

i play full arsenal merc

no im not gonna play an hibryd spec to stay competitive,my guild needs me to do some damage not to be a nurse

just because a class is playable as an hybrid that doesnt mean we are fine

yea no, im a 45 merc, i went all aim,accuracy,and crit, i do really well in pvp, and in pve my crits hit over 2.5k, i love it

this problems do not become obvious until post 50

i too "did really well" at 45, heck i was owning in pvp from lvl 10 to lvl 49

im not entirely sure why things changed at 50, but i went from owning people in 2 to 3 hits at all levels to "i sit and dps someone with max damage for 10 minutes and they still wont die", while they toss me around, stun me, do whatever they want to me becuase they have 10x the CC and side effects options than I have available to me

i have litterally sat and dps'd someone for several minutes while they out heal me only for them to turn around and blow my face off while still at full health

and no, i am not under geared i am in a mix of tier 2 and 3 pvp armor while they are in the same gear quality or less as me

i have tried all 3 specs (with appropriate gear). merc healer: its ok, not amazing in pvp, it lacks the burst heals quality of a sorc and it also lacks the regen heals of an operative. a merc healer is a ghetto healer that needs to chase his friends around shooting puny heals at them, an op can dump one effect and leave to produce the same effect of me chasing and a sorc can just full heal them instantly and walk away. a merc healer? run run run, puny heal puny heal puny heal

pyrotech? sure you gain some mobility, but have you actually checked the damage output? i have tested this religiously in controlled test environments (vs the same players in duels and vs the same npc mobs in pve) and at the end of the day pyrotech simply puts out FAR LESS damage than arsenal, and not by a little, by quite a lot. in repeated testing pyrotech put out 20 to 30k less damage per minute, this is not an acceptable trade off for a minor mobility boost

arsenal spec is the only viable merc spec for someone truly wanting to put out real damage. and as an arsenal spec we only do marginaly more damage than a sorc (and quite frankly in a warzone they tend to out damage us in the long run by living longer). operatives and snipers have more burst than us, sorc has more survival and almost as much dps as us.

merc arsenal needs some reworks, we have no stealth, no jumps, no pulls, very little CC (before you tell me we have CC, count the number that other classes have compared to us, and i mean range dps like sorc) and our side heals are of little value "in combat"

have fun owning face from 1 to 49, and when you get to 50 please come back and admit we have some issues.

in pve we still rock, and with a good group we can do ok in pvp, but the imbalances become glaring when you sit and compare point for point vs other range classes, we are a one trick pony and we arent even the best class at doing our trick (dps)

its already slowly becoming obvious to people and harder to find a pvp group as a merc, since you can only que with 4 people there is little to no reason for them to take a merc when they can get more versatility and just as much dps from other classes

4 person pvp squads: tank (not a merc), healer (mercs not the best choice), stealth (not a merc), leaving us as the potential 4th pick dps, problem: take a merc that can only dps, and needs a baby sitter to survive? or take a sorc or operative that can dps AND has more CC and more heals and just as much DPS? the choice becomes clear, you take the sorc or the op over the merc for DPS slot, you take another sorc or op for healer slot, and you cant take the merc for tank or stealth slot. Please explain to me again the point of a merc in a PVP 4 man group when we are not optimal for any role in that group?

I get groups because I have friends, and we win becuase we use tactics, but I am not stupid enough to think merc is actually anywhere near as good as they should be as an actual class. I keep playing it becuase I truly love PVE and do amazing in PVE. While I do enjoy PVP (and im good at it), it is still secondary to me and since I have enough friends to pvp with, Ill grit my teeth and slug through it. But Im not blind to our problems and with a few minor tweeks this class could be balanced properly to be more useful in PVP without making them OP

As it is, sorcs/sages and operative/smuggler simply put us to shame in PVP

Edited by Kunovega

• 3 weeks later...

Ok seriously if you whining about being a merc then you just don't know how to play the class, I leveled all the way as arsenal even got to battlemaster with the same spec I know how effective the spec is with damage. 3 weeks ago though I switched to Pyrotech after a friend of mine suggested it and ill never go back. I play with the best in my server as a Pyrotech, I average 340-440k damage in almost every match that isn't a blow out for my group :) or a quitters match. Yes healers are a pain and yes assassins can be a ***** but honestly every spec has to have a balance so of course your not going to be able to **** everyone. The bottom line is to this day i have only seen 1 arsenal bh out damage me in a match (accept for those drunken one's lol) we have mobility which is more important then a slight increase in damage done. You may have your tracer but ima just los you, dot you up throw my T Det charge a power shot and rail shot your *** so low that I can walk away knowing your going to die in a few secs.

btw 11/14 BM Gear

Swiftsure server

Ha'voc

Ok seriously if you whining about being a merc then you just don't know how to play the class, I leveled all the way as arsenal even got to battlemaster with the same spec I know how effective the spec is with damage. 3 weeks ago though I switched to Pyrotech after a friend of mine suggested it and ill never go back. I play with the best in my server as a Pyrotech, I average 340-440k damage in almost every match that isn't a blow out for my group :) or a quitters match. Yes healers are a pain and yes assassins can be a ***** but honestly every spec has to have a balance so of course your not going to be able to **** everyone. The bottom line is to this day i have only seen 1 arsenal bh out damage me in a match (accept for those drunken one's lol) we have mobility which is more important then a slight increase in damage done. You may have your tracer but ima just los you, dot you up throw my T Det charge a power shot and rail shot your *** so low that I can walk away knowing your going to die in a few secs.

btw 11/14 BM Gear

Swiftsure server

Ha'voc

really?

/cure

nuff said

I'm 2.3 rated arena on my rogue

2.1 on sham

2k on hunter

And I got all of these ratings in under 1week.

And if u don't play wow 2.3 is good, and I'm telling you that merc is not pvp class end of.

Half of these guys or dont even all actually have no real pvp xp on other game very similer to swtor and act like they do.

Without a interrupt.

Silence.

And ability to slow constantly not on just a cd move.

Meens there noway any good for pvp except there raw damage. O actually operative, sorcerers and sniper have far more damage and have atleast two of this things.

Intact earlier today in a war game I was farming two level 50 mercs, I'm thinking there level. Even if its a bad class they should kill a level 35. Didn't drop under 50%. Even the crappest players regardless at 50 should get me to atleast 50%.

So iv made my point, and if any wow players who think merc is good for pvp. I would like too have visual proof of ur arena xp before you tell me Mercs are good.......

Snm

HAHA!

I..i don't know what to say..maybe..man you are to awesome for this world..

What hasn't changed about wow ratings? Except there a HARDER messed up knew before so its harder to get 2.3. Imo it isn't great, but because ur a wow player and ur supporting he theory that Mercs good. U better be able to log on wow and have higher rating.

Arcane mages army viable for pvp. What's ur point.

Tell me how you play ur merc and ill say how I could easily improve and how I could counter if I no nothig about Mercs. The fact ur comparing them to arcane shows u no nothing. Arcane can keep a slow up for as long as they like. They also get a silence. They also get dropped in 1hit. How is that like merc. Merc does average good damage and that's it. What ur point.

Back to my point. I want to see ur xp as ur talking greaze

I loled, cant stop reading this thread due to your clueless comments, I hope in the pages to come youll keep embarrassing yourself =)

I loled, cant stop reading this thread due to your clueless comments, I hope in the pages to come youll keep embarrassing yourself =)

The fact that you understood that well enough to find it amusing is very impressive. I'mnot even joking... not even a little bit.