PvP - Marksman, Burst, and Win-More

Zunayson

Marksman's role in a pvp fight from a burst perspective is "multi-target clean-up executor" Let me explain:

Marksman's Burst Is Rapid and Weak

Ambush has a short 12 second cooldown, which is also why it hits for such piss-poor damage. Other classes' burst options have longer cooldowns like 18, 21, 24 seconds.

Marksman's 1-minute burst is Still Weak

When you factor in Target Acquired, Engineering and Virulence get 2 charges of Laze, and Marksman gets 3. Marksman doesn't feel so special anymore, does it? Also, other 1 minute burst options (like AP Power Yield) are nasty.

Marksman is Strong at Killing Weak Enemies

The only way for Marksman to out-perform other burst specs is by resetting Ambush and Laze Target (on kill), and resetting Roll (on Evasion/Imperial Preparation), in order to chain instant Ambushes in quick succession, much sooner than 12 seconds.

Marksman does not contribute to Wins

This is a "win-more" mechanic, and Marksman is not really contributing to the "winning." If you've already gotten multiple enemies low on HP, it's unlikely you need a quick "cleanup" job. This makes Marksman unsuitable for the job of "burst damage" and more like a "burst support." Try to play PvP with the B-0 tactical when your team has no pressure. It is depressing.

Should this be redesigned in any way?

• The only change I can think of that seems even semi-balanced is making B-0 tactical increase ambush damage even more, and also increase ambush's cooldown (in line with how Virulence Ultraviolet blast works). This way, it aligns better with roll cooldown.
  • Another poster has an idea: Have Sniper Volley reset Ambush cooldown.

But, the existing win-more mechanics mean a class-stacking team of Marksman snipers could ruin the match. Win-more mechanics seem poorly designed.

Edited by Zunayson
clarity

On 10/12/2024 at 9:43 PM, Zunayson said:

Ambush has a short 12 second cooldown, which is also why it hits for such piss-poor damage. Other classes' burst options have longer cooldowns like 18, 21, 24 seconds.

I don’t really agree with that. The ability cooldown isn’t as important as the dmg you’re doing outside of the burst window.

I mean ambush always has been a 12s ability and back in the days it was the hardest hitting ability. Because to be fair without agitated energies you don’t have a lot of dmg outside of your burst window.

The main reason why it hit like a wet noodle it’s because markmans don’t stack critical passives that could had up with the autocrit.

AP has energy burst + fuel

viru has autocrit on dots now

engi has so much crit passives its a meme

rage has double autocrit on raging burst + enrage crit buff and passive crit multiplier

if concealment wasn’t unplayable against the current meta it would have some disgusting burst as well : full autocrit burst + tactician implant + stilboost crit buff

Edited by Ajalkaar