Playing with AI ...

Just as an example, here is a treatment for a storyline:

Title: The Heist on Nar Shaddaa

Logline: Gault Rennow, the cunning Devaronian conman, assembles a team of skilled misfits to pull off an audacious heist on Nar Shaddaa, targeting a corrupt Hutt crime lord’s vault filled with stolen artifacts.

Setting: The bustling underbelly of Nar Shaddaa, known for its neon lights and dangerous alleys. The story unfolds in various locations including a high-security Hutt palace, a cantina filled with spies, and the shadowy depths of the moon’s industrial sector.

Characters:

Gault Rennow: The charismatic Devaronian mastermind who orchestrates the heist.

T7-01: A resourceful astromech droid providing technical support and hacking skills.

Kira Carsen: A Jedi Knight with exceptional combat skills who serves as the muscle of the team.

Risha Drayen: A savvy Twi’lek smuggler with connections to the underworld and expertise in stealth.

Vector Hyllus: A former Imperial agent who uses his knowledge of security systems to aid in planning.

Plot Summary: The story begins with Gault Rennow receiving intel about a massive cache of artifacts hidden within the vault of a notorious Hutt named Borga. Recognizing an opportunity for wealth and revenge against Borga for past grievances, Gault recruits his eclectic team.

The plan involves several intricate steps reminiscent of classic heist narratives like “Hustle” or “Mission Impossible.” They first gather information at a cantina where Risha uses her charm to extract secrets from patrons while T7 hacks into security feeds. Kira trains the team in combat techniques while Vector devises a blueprint for infiltrating the palace.

As they execute their plan, they encounter unexpected challenges: double-crossing informants, heightened security measures, and rival bounty hunters. Each character plays a crucial role in overcoming these obstacles through clever tactics and teamwork.

In a thrilling climax, they breach Borga’s vault only to discover that it is rigged with traps. Using their combined skills, they navigate through dangers and secure the artifacts just as Borga’s guards close in. In a dramatic escape involving speeder bikes through Nar Shaddaa’s chaotic streets, they narrowly evade capture.

The story concludes with Gault revealing his true intentions—he plans to use part of their haul to settle old scores with Borga while ensuring each member receives their share. The team parts ways but not without forming bonds that hint at future adventures together.

Inspiration Episode: This treatment draws inspiration from Season 1, Episode 3 (“The Last Gamble”) of Hustle, where con artists execute an elaborate scheme against a wealthy target.

Eagle-eyed readers will spot that it got Risha's species incorrect. Other than that it sounds pretty cool to me. 

Here's the prompt I put into iAsk.

Write a treatment for a story with companion characters from SWTOR.
Gault Rennow, of the Devaronian species, must be the quest giver, and may be involved in the story.
It must be a heist story, copy it from an episode of UK tv series Hustle or 1960s Mission Impossible tv series, but change the locations and characters to be from SWTOR. State which episode it is.

(I had to tell it Gault was Devaronian because it kept getting that wrong).

Yes, I know - writers aren't supposed to copy. But they do. All the time. 

So now we can generate the story on the fly, we only need a few lines of voice, synthesized from ElevenLabs or edited from existing audio clips... 

This "content" stuff WILL make itself! I'm looking forward to a flood of slightly wonky missions!

Edited by svartalfimposter

Based on some things Broadsword has said, what really slows them down is making the cutscenes. It doesn't sound like writing stories and hiring voice actors is the problem. They use the KOTOR cutscenes because they can use the game's automatic cutscene system, but good, interesting cutscenes have to be made by hand. Maybe there will be some AI in the future that can do a good job making cutscenes with only minor editing needed after, but I think that's a long way off.

As for using AI voices to replace voice actors, that will most likely lead to lawsuits down the road. I don't think Broadsword would risk it. I don't think it's consistent with their values either. SWTOR will always have real people doing voices for everything except maybe droids or animal creatures. Eventually, the industry will develop an algorithm for identifying a voice that can be used as a unique signature to tell legally whether an AI voice is too close to an existing voice actor. Companies will be able to safely use AI to generate a voice and be confident based on the signature that they aren't copying a real actor's voice. Until then it's too big of a risk to take.