Is there any reason for the "LARGEST CARTEL MARKET weapons sale"?

septru

Let me try to break it down for you guys. I have some more time to type it out right now 🫡 Waiting on my tea to be done :D

During last christmas/Winter season Broadsword announced, that they are trying a few things out considering the cartel market. They rotated some old items back in.

During the same time they were tuning the credit-initiative. You all remember the horrendous prices on stuff that wasn't in the shop? Keep that in mind!

Now, imagine you are a Business and you see a sale technique that works. Let's take the WoW Ingame Shop as the example.

Nearly everything you buy there... you only buy it once. If you buy that 20€ mount, you have it.

Now, the Shop does a Winter, Summer, Easter, Christmas, Black Friday Sale. You name it.

You will see your numbers go up every time, allthough every customer only buys your stuff once. Why? Incentive!

Let's go with a 1 month period for the math:

Without a sale, you have maybe 5 Customers, because it's 20€ for one mount! That is a lot of money. In this month you are getting 100€.

Now... you do the sale. 50% off. The mount is getting more accessible. You now have at least! 10 customers. You are still getting 100€ in the worst case.

Let's put human psychology  in the math. It's a limited time offer. Who knows when it will be on Sale again? And take the Doomsday-Preachers, that declare the "It will be gone from the shop" panic into this. It will be more than 10 customers. Be sure of that! So... what do we have? Definitely more than 100€!

Allright. Now! Use this Sales tactic on the cartel market!

You are getting more money, more sales (yaaay).

But there is the GHN. You are getting even more sales, more money, because people buy in bulks to sell on the GHN!!!!

What does that mean? Happy people that can earn items from the shop by farming credits and! More importantly! Prices on the GHN go down! No more horrendous prices 20 times over the credit-limit (Yeah! Looking at you! my favourite lightsaber, that wasn't in the game for 5+ years! Can't name it right now, cause... German and not on the PC :D)

Simple Price and demand.

And now you have it! This is why Broadsword does it. More money for them, happy people who can afford some great items and a credit initiative tool to control ingame money.

Oh, and... yeah. I am not Broadsword and I can't look into their heads. But this is the logical explanation and I do have experience in Sales thanks to my job. Trust me on this... If you see a sale that declares "Largest Sale of the Year! Yeah!" and "80% off!!!" - That does not always mean a shop closes. That's a salesperson getting you into the Shopping spirit.

Edited by Vyzra
fixing typing errors
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forum threads when there are no discounts:

• "When next big sale?"
  • "It's about time for CM sales"
  • "Why only two weeks of sales a year?"
  • "When are we getting [item] on sale?"

Forum threads when there are discounts:

• "The game is kriffing closing"
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I know the cynic consumer in me knew the answer and some in this very thread have outright said it, but it didn't hit me until I saw the CM article after dropping close to 13,000 CC 1 minute before the servers went down to round out my collections lol I NEED those Locs and Deadly Outcast set. To sum it up, the answer is because they want more monies and the game serves as a perfectly fine platform to keep that coming, so long as Disney keeps pumping out other content, but I do wish they would lean a bit more into the Old Republic's side of the franchise. There are some old sets that absolutely could be redone or done, like how we never got an actual Nihilous set but only a Nihi-lips mask,

I feel like these sales are doing huge work to counter in-game inflation.  When previously rare CM items are becoming available at a discount, and lots of other items discounted besides, it has a big impact on GTN prices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quendorite said:

Forum threads when there are no discounts:

• "When next big sale?"
  • "It's about time for CM sales"
  • "Why only two weeks of sales a year?"
  • "When are we getting [item] on sale?"

Forum threads when there are discounts:

• "The game is kriffing closing"

Right.  Doesn't matter what they do, there is a section that's going to complain.  Took advantage of the Armour & weapon sales for things I've wanted for a while. So I'm chuffed.

• Thanks 2

On 8/19/2024 at 11:47 AM, fatsi said:

This is what I feared when I saw the overpriced bundle. No one will be subbing for a game announced to be shut down so...

I normally don't buy the bundles I just sub from month to month but how is it an overpriced bundle? You get like 5k cartel coins which is a $50 value plus 10 of the new dyes which are what? $15 each? The speed boost mount and then 6 month sub time. Again for me it's $10 more than I'd pay in 6 months plus all the extra stuff. I honestly don't think it's a bad deal, if you value the extra stuff that comes with the sub time. 

On 8/19/2024 at 11:47 AM, fatsi said:

This is what I feared when I saw the overpriced bundle. No one will be subbing for a game announced to be shut down so...

I normally don't buy the bundles I just sub from month to month but how is it an overpriced bundle? You get like 5k cartel coins which is a $50 value plus 10 of the new dyes which are what? $15 each? The speed boost mount and then 6 month sub time. Again for me it's $10 more than I'd pay in 6 months plus all the extra stuff. I honestly don't think it's a bad deal, if you value the extra stuff that comes with the sub time.