In-game sub days remaining counter

Because trying to check on the website is more of a pain than ever before.  I have to log in every time.  It can't remember me for some reason.  And then "we don't recognize your computer" even when I just logged in yesterday.  So then I need to check my e-mail for a one-time password.  Then I have to figure out "where is it?" and click "modify subscription".  Again it doesn't stand out.  You've got to scroll til you find the actual number at the bottom written in plain, unbolded text.  Why make this all so hard to find?

Obviously don't have the day counter staring the player in the face 24/7, just put in somewhere in game where it can be accessed. optionally, at will.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BelorfinSiana said:

So then I need to check my e-mail for a one-time password.

Get.  A.  TOTP.  Authenticator.  App. 

I dgaf whether you follow their recommendation (Google Authenticator) or use some other app (OTP Auth - what I use - or Authy or WinAuth - runs on your PC instead of your phone - or whatever), or even SWTORSK (if you have an iPhone or an old Android)).  Just get one and add it to your account, and the one-time (== single-use) password will go away forever.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2024 at 2:34 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

Get.  A.  TOTP.  Authenticator.  App. 

I dgaf whether you follow their recommendation (Google Authenticator) or use some other app (OTP Auth - what I use - or Authy or WinAuth - runs on your PC instead of your phone - or whatever), or even SWTORSK (if you have an iPhone or an old Android)).  Just get one and add it to your account, and the one-time (== single-use) password will go away forever.

This is a nice advice. And will grant me a 100 CC a month extra. However... I once had to deal with the issue when the computer broke and had to get a new one... Was a different service, not this game. A local app on the PC with 30-ish seconds timer and code, no difficult to use at all. But acquiring access to the account after upgrading/changing the PC or loosing the phone... don't want to encounter this again. That's why it would be nice to not have to use authenticator (or "One time passwords")

Aren't "One time password" requirements supposed to be rare, why so often it pops up when logging ingame (launcher) if it's supposed to be "One time"?

13 hours ago, tritiya said:

if it's supposed to be "One time"?

Because it's badly named.  It's a single-use password, meaning that you can use *that* password only a single time, as oppose to a "one-time" password, which might mean that you only ever need it one time.

13 hours ago, tritiya said:

loosing the phone

And the solution to that is to have a kind of phone that allows you to (a) make backups and (b) restore those backups onto a new phone.  iPhones are really good at that(1), but I have the impression that Android phones, no matter who makes them, are *not*.

(1) I've replaced my iPhone at least twice since I first got OTP Auth, but it still has all the accounts of whatever that I ever linked to it, and at least the most recent time, I did it by restoring an over-the-air backup made into iCloud.

Changing a phone only after I loose it or it doesn't work. Don't buy iphone (higher cost and don't endorse Apple's approaches and policies). Also not tech savvy myself to easily work with phone backups, switching phones, etc. And always a pain when having to change phones (getting used to the new one, the financial aspect for having to buy something that just has to be bought, not because I like it or something). So not going to commit to this because of a video game at all. For calls, alarm, music and some basic applications I don't need to change the phone often. That's why when I change it it means I don't have the previous one (lost it) or it is beyond (not worth) repairing financially. Costs more nerve and money to just buy one from the cheaper class (which is an Android phone) to be able to call, alarm, music, etc. the basic things. And in this game (or any other else) I don't find it necessary to go to multiple steps to just play a game. No need for extra steps and hassles, this is not a state/bank form or documentation to be complicated.

Well that's a source of shame for Android, that they can't set up a simple way of doing automated backups to a "cloud" resource, and then also provide a simple way of restoring them.  Apple can do that, and *has* for iPhones/iPads.  All I had to do was go into the iCloud stuff and say "back up my phone daily if I'm on WiFi" (editor's note: meaning "not on cellular").  When you first set up a new iPhone, when you set up iCloud, it looks at your available backups and asks which one you want to restore.  Job done.

Shameful that Androids can't do that.  (Presumably it would be a Google Drive thing, I guess, so you can restore across brands.  iPhones don't have that problem.)

6 hours ago, tritiya said:

And in this game (or any other else) I don't find it necessary to go to multiple steps to just play a game. No need for extra steps and hassles, this is not a state/bank form or documentation to be complicated.

This reasoning is only OK if you play in some way that doesn't mean leaving your payment details on the SWTOR website.  If your details are there, and someone breaks in to your SWTOR account, you can find yourself with CC purchases that you didn't authorise (and if the breaker-inner has access long enough, you can even find the purchased items transferred away).  The security code helps obstruct that.

16 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Well that's a source of shame for Android, that they can't set up a simple way of doing automated backups to a "cloud" resource, and then also provide a simple way of restoring them.

Android does indeed have this capability.  In fact I've had more troubles restoring a bricked Apple device than I have had with Android.

I put TOTP secret keys into my password manager and use those to add those authenticators on multiple devices on the off chance a device becomes unusable or had to be wiped.

On 7/6/2024 at 5:58 AM, PlasmaJohn said:

Android does indeed have this capability.  In fact I've had more troubles restoring a bricked Apple device than I have had with Android.

Huh.  Well.  TIL.  The way people talk about "lost my phone, can't use my security key" or "don't want to use my phone app because what if I lose my phone", you'd think it was serious black magic, if it's even possible at all.

On 7/6/2024 at 5:58 AM, PlasmaJohn said:

I put TOTP secret keys into my password manager and use those to add those authenticators on multiple devices on the off chance a device becomes unusable or had to be wiped.

Fascinating idea.  I like.  (Sadly, it's not something you can do "after the fact" - you get a new secret each time you remove and re-add the authenticator.)