Remove level shift or bring back Command/Reknown rank system.

1. Level shift worked only during the Command/Reknown rank progression system was available. But now that these 2 have been removed, along with further progression after reaching max level, it became too much time consuming to fight against garbage mobs at every corner when there's no more exp to gain.

2. Either bring back Command/Reknown rank system so people can continue play and progress after reaching max levels rather than just mindlessly grinding for creds/gears. People used to play lot more when this system was still active but many people left the game when there's no more progression.

8 hours ago, RevenantMac said:

1. Level shift worked only during the Command/Reknown rank progression system was available. But now that these 2 have been removed, along with further progression after reaching max level, it became too much time consuming to fight against garbage mobs at every corner when there's no more exp to gain.

You know that "level sync" was introduced before the initial attempts at Command rank, right?

I liked the command/renown because now when we're at max level, we get absolutely nothing.  All of that XP goes nowhere, it's a big waste.

Level sync is good for maximizing monetary rewards for heroics.  But there is no reason why trash mobs in the world should be slowing me down if I'm level 80.  Level sync also has the side effect of making story bosses a joke.  Example: a certain Chapter 1 final boss has his encounter on Hutta, so he's what, level 10?  Easy curb stomp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BelorfinSiana said:

I liked the command/renown because now when we're at max level, we get absolutely nothing.  All of that XP goes nowhere, it's a big waste.

Level sync is good for maximizing monetary rewards for heroics.  But there is no reason why trash mobs in the world should be slowing me down if I'm level 80.  Level sync also has the side effect of making story bosses a joke.  Example: a certain Chapter 1 final boss has his encounter on Hutta, so he's what, level 10?  Easy curb stomp.

Exactly. Level sync system is outdated and useless without Command or Reknown rank systems. If there's no more progression past max level then people wouldn't play as much. Grinding for gears or creds would get boring very fast and repetitive. At least with Command/Reknown rank people still kept playing and active.

That ship has sailed, it won't be reverted at this point. What staff could have done, is allow scaling/level sync by right clicking the character portrait and allow the player to set the level. If you're level capped and don't want to have to deal with low level mobs on starter planets, and possibly pull threat, you stay at the level. If you want to play with one of your friends, you right click your character portrait and set the appropriate level, it's not automatically assigned by the game.

ESO still has the best level sync out there that I've played. You can run any open world content there is, in any area of the game, your character is scaled up or down. At the time of implementation, this game received a lot of mixed reactions to this change. It has been suggested to be reverted numerous times over the years to no avail. 

40 minutes ago, RevenantMac said:

Level sync system is outdated and useless without Command or Reknown rank systems.

That would be more convincing (especially the word "useless") if level sync had been introduced at the same time as Galactic Command.

It wasn't.

Level sync was introduced in 4.0 (October 2015), and Galactic Command was introduced with 5.0 (late November 2016).

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 7:56 AM, RevenantMac said:

Speaking as someone who soloed a fair number of world bosses and flashpoint before level sync was introduced, the game is much better with the sync.  If they did remove it, they would also have to level cap all rewards as well (including planetary dailies, heroics, and Flashpoints) which would leave them with very little actual content for end-game characters.

Also, removing the sync would shift the 'no reward' complaints from end-game players to levelers who out-leveled the storyline (a very common experience in the 'good old days') and are facing half a planet's worth of grey missions because they ran a flashpoint or two...

On 5/10/2024 at 7:56 AM, RevenantMac said:

2. Either bring back Command/Reknown rank system so people can continue play and progress after reaching max levels rather than just mindlessly grinding for creds/gears. People used to play lot more when this system was still active but many people left the game when there's no more progression.

The fundamental issue with 'end game leveling' is they need to come up with rewards for these levels:

• If you just want another number to grind up, they could do that easily enough but the 'meaningless grind' complaints would be deafening.
  • If you want cosmetic rewards, get ready to be disappointed (most players will be at least somewhat disappointed by most random items).
  • If you want to get actual ilvl gear this way, you've just made it much harder for a fresh 80 to 'catch up' with cutting-edge content.
16 hours ago, BelorfinSiana said:

One day, you'll realize that this is a video game, which means it is, by definition, a 'big waste' in its entirety:  One day, this game will close down, and everything you earned in it (outside of your memories) will be lost in time, like tears in rain...

Edited by Ominovin

4 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

That would be more convincing (especially the word "useless") if level sync had been introduced at the same time as Galactic Command.

It wasn't.

Level sync was introduced in 4.0 (October 2015), and Galactic Command was introduced with 5.0 (late November 2016).

You do realize that they can't put out all of these changes in one go right? Think about all the potential errors and bugs. And if you literally don't have anything constructive to say other than screeching things we already know, then I'd suggest you should stop visiting forum and suggestion box. Because it seems anything and anyone would say wouldn't suit your own opinion.

3 hours ago, Ominovin said:

Speaking as someone who soloed a fair number of world bosses and flashpoint before level sync was introduced, the game is much better with the sync.  If they did remove it, they would also have to level cap all rewards as well (including planetary dailies, heroics, and Flashpoints) which would leave them with very little actual content for end-game characters.

Also, removing the sync would shift the 'no reward' complaints from end-game players to levelers who out-leveled the storyline (a very common experience in the 'good old days') and are facing half a planet's worth of grey missions because they ran a flashpoint or two...

The fundamental issue with 'end game leveling' is they need to come up with rewards for these levels:

• If you just want another number to grind up, they could do that easily enough but the 'meaningless grind' complaints would be deafening.
  • If you want cosmetic rewards, get ready to be disappointed (most players will be at least somewhat disappointed by most random items).
  • If you want to get actual ilvl gear this way, you've just made it much harder for a fresh 80 to 'catch up' with cutting-edge content.

One day, you'll realize that this is a video game, which means it is, by definition, a 'big waste' in its entirety:  One day, this game will close down, and everything you earned in it (outside of your memories) will be lost in time, like tears in rain...

Command and Reknown ranking system worked before and there's no problem with this for not work again. Not to mention, Command and Reknown ranking systems weren't hard at all. Just play any type of contents you like and you get rewarded for it. It gave loots, gears, currencies and boosted new people with good equipment without having the requirements to do Ops or master FPs for better gears.

And I won't talk about cosmetics because people would make their own from anywhere.

And reason why I asking to remove the level sync is because it's time consuming to deal with every enemy around. You said video game is a big waste of time but you don't realize it's for many people a way escape from real life, relax and have fun but not waste time fighting against literally every enemy in the area. Not to mention it's annoying when you're just trying to get datacrons, crafting components, lore objects and just generally explore the planets you've been before more.

4 hours ago, Pirana said:

That ship has sailed, it won't be reverted at this point. What staff could have done, is allow scaling/level sync by right clicking the character portrait and allow the player to set the level. If you're level capped and don't want to have to deal with low level mobs on starter planets, and possibly pull threat, you stay at the level. If you want to play with one of your friends, you right click your character portrait and set the appropriate level, it's not automatically assigned by the game.

ESO still has the best level sync out there that I've played. You can run any open world content there is, in any area of the game, your character is scaled up or down. At the time of implementation, this game received a lot of mixed reactions to this change. It has been suggested to be reverted numerous times over the years to no avail. 

Agreed. If ESO could do that then Swtor could but just as you said it might be too late. Then again, there's no harm for asking the devs to thinking about it. Maybe with luck they might return it.

Open world level synch probably isn't go anywhere, but it would be feasible to do remove it in content within a instance or scale enemies up to your level since they do it with instances below max for KOTFE/KOTFE/Onslaught/and so on. You at least wouldn't be dealing with the scaling penalties for you and your comp

20 minutes ago, RevenantMac said:

Agreed. If ESO could do that then Swtor could but just as you said it might be too late. Then again, there's no harm for asking the devs to thinking about it. Maybe with luck they might return it.

Yeppers, all you can do is suggest it, nothing wrong in trying.

Posted (edited)

Level synch is the only reason I still keep playing SWTOR. Ditto with ESO. Frankly, I dont understand the ultimate or practical difference b/t acquiring Tech Fragments vs. gaining a different form of universal currency through Command / Renown (e.g., Unassembled Components). 

I recognize your desire to easily acquire lore objects, datacrons, and crafting mats. The issue with the first two you mention, lore objects and datacrons, is they are one and done, particularly for datacrons which are legacy bound. As for your point about "general exploration" -- okay -- I get it, but the benefits of acquiring meaningful currencies (Tech Fragments or Unassembled Components -- name doesn't matter) for me far outweigh my desire to go wander around Taris leisurely taking a stroll and admiring the scenery.

Moreover, the only way I would support allowing players to turn level synch on / off or set it to scale back down is if the rewards were also lowered (particularly for crafting mats and decos from early Flashpoints).

I'm not sure what you mean @RevenantMac when you say: "If ESO could do that then SWTOR could." I'm quite familiar with ESO and both games have auto-level synching; i.e, you can't change it in either SWTOR or ESO. Put differently, I'm not sure what you want SWTOR to adopt / import from ESO.

Either way, that sounds like a big lift for developers.

I don't want to be confined to a couple of Planetary Dailies / Flashpoints for the best gear given the glacial pace of new content release. Frankly, this is true with every major MMORPG I'm familiar with and is the reason all major ones do it.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
Stupid Typos!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RevenantMac said:

You do realize that they can't put out all of these changes in one go right?

I've spent thirty-five (...) years as a developer(1), so I'm well aware of the limitations of development teams.  And no, if they really thought that level sync and Galactic Command were inextricably linked (hint: they are not), they would have done what it takes to release them together.

2 hours ago, RevenantMac said:

Think about all the potential errors and bugs.

I do.  Often.

(1) not of games, mind you(2), but software is software...

(2) Leaving aside the episode in late 2008/early 2009 where I was looking for a new job and Every. Single. Recruiter. That. Called. Me. tried to get me to go for the job offered by Eidos (yes, the Tomb Raider folks) for their upcoming football(3) management simulator.  The big problem was that the first recruiter who called me said that the team was looking for hardcore footie fans, which I am not, although I probably could have faked it.  All this time later (fifteen gdmf years, for ffs), I am still torn about having decided to not pursue that possibility...

(3) Association football, sometimes called soccer, where the rules require players to *not* use their hands to manipulate the ball.  And the ball is round...

Edited by SteveTheCynic