(SPOILER WARNING!!!) Story Explanation Help Please (SPOILER WARNING!!!)

samlefox

So I started my game with Sith Warrior and finished Makeb.

Now I am currently playing as Jedi Consular, currently in Belsavis (early Chapter 2).

In both cases, I am hit with the sudden news of the following:

1. The Treaty of Coruscant has been broken by the Imperials
  2. Empire and Republic are at an all out war
  3. The Emperor is dead/gone/killed by the Republic

However, while I am aware that Sith Warrior story involves in us following Baras' orders to instigate/set the sparks of war, we don't necessarily outright cause the war to ensue. This is where it gets bothersome, neither the Imperial side nor Republic side has so far explained to me why and what set of the war to start again and what is actually happening to the Emperor.

I have however some very sliver of idea on the fact that Jedi Knight deals with the action of attacking the Emperor. However, I am confused with the continuity.

Did Jedi Knight attack the Emperor at the end of Chapter 2, and is that what triggers the war?
I also know that sometimes in Chapter 2, the Republic frees Revan and thus breaking his influence on the Emperor, so I am wondering if this is what prompted the Jedi Order to attack the Emperor, knowing he will attack any moment now?

I am asking this because I wish to main as the Consular and I have been vehemently against breaking the treaty of Coruscant and have been against going to war with the Imperials. In fact the knowledge that Jedis attacked the Emperor always sat wrong with me. So I'd really prefer to know the actual truth behind what actually lead to the Treaty of Coruscant to be broken and what started the war.

I don't mind any spoilers, so please do help me with the details. Thank you all in advance!

1 hour ago, samlefox said:

Did Jedi Knight attack the Emperor at the end of Chapter 2, and is that what triggers the war?
I also know that sometimes in Chapter 2, the Republic frees Revan and thus breaking his influence on the Emperor, so I am wondering if this is what prompted the Jedi Order to attack the Emperor, knowing he will attack any moment now?

WARNING: Big spoiler for some later parts of the overall story.  You have been warned.  Don't complain if you open the spoiler box and see a spoiler.  It's a huge one.

Spoiler

The JK intends to attack the actual Emperor at the end of Chapter 2, but it isn't really the Emperor himself, but rather a "Voice" == a being possessed by the Emperor(1).

(1) The Emperor has been non-corporeal for centuries at this point.

Much later in the story(2), you'll get to finally destroy the Emperor himself (that is, his spirit), and you'll get to see why I call him "TVV".

(2) Starting with Ilum (and going on into Makeb), the stories merge into initially one per faction, then just one that applies to everyone.

Remember, I did warn you about the spoilerific nature of the spoiler box.

I am asking this because I wish to main as the Consular and I have been vehemently against breaking the treaty of Coruscant

Well, you don't have to worry about that, because the *Imperials* break it.  (Ref: the Trooper story.)

Spoiler

Note: unless you do certain things during the story, the Jedi Consular character is, indeed, a member of the Jedi Council in the aftermath of Corellia, but the Republic is not run by the Jedi in the same way that the Sith run the Empire.

and have been against going to war with the Imperials.

Both sides have been nibbling at the prospect of war ever since the Treaty of Coruscant was signed.  You, as the player character of whatever origin, have exactly no say in that.

In fact the knowledge that Jedis attacked the Emperor always sat wrong with me. So I'd really prefer to know the actual truth behind what actually lead to the Treaty of Coruscant to be broken and what started the war.

Play the Trooper story, and you'll see a big chunk of the "proximate cause", although the general warlikeness of both sides also plays a big part.