Better Dark Side Corruption

IramUnleashed

This kind of reminds me of the idea behind Mass Effect 2, where your character could show more visible scaring as a result of taking a renegade path. The challenge would be the "selectable level of detail." A lot of times these "corruption style" effects are modeled as a progression and if you want to halt the progression, stop doing "dark side / renegade" things. And if you want to reverse the progression, do more "light side / paragon" things.

Selectable would have to be based on the number of discrete settings and that would likely lead to the developers just choosing a minimum number to keep the test permutations manageable.

Another "problem" can be that none of the dialogue or story really recognizes this. So imagine you could become some hideous creature of the night by persistent use of dark side choices. But then some NPC in the game refers to you as "pretty" (for a female) or in some other way indicates they are hitting on you. It would be faintly ridiculous if you looked like a zombie vampire. (Then again, you can make a hideously scarred cyborg character now and still hit on people or be hit on.)

So I guess a point here is: why have the massive cosmetic change to a character if that's all it is: cosmetic. I realize that's an argument that could be made about the system as it is now. Which is sort of my point. Without any story impact, I've always found the dark side / light side corruption to be worth very little.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 7:52 PM, IramUnleashed said:

I'd be down for that, but that's a separate topic.

Not really as separate as you think.  Both things (whole-body DS corruption and whole-body tattoos/scars) are whole-body "decorative"(1) effects, and the game currently has *no* whole-body decorative effects outside of the basic skin colour.

(1) I use this term with caution, since most of the effects of DSC are most definitely *ugly*.