Enhanced Social Features - Improved groupfinding and friendship system, discord/forum+game integration?

MagesKickass

My favorite part of playing SWTOR is grouping up with random people in fleet or allies chat to do ops or complete Galactic Seasons objectives and interacting with other players as we play. It is what I think makes MMORPG's like SWTOR so much fun. I know many people play SWTOR as solo players and choose not to engage with social play, which is a perfectly fine way to play the game so it's important to note that any kind of social features implemented in the game should have an obvious and easy opt-out method for those players who do not wish to engage with it.

That being said, another favorite part of mine of SWTOR is the community. I enjoy seeing people talk about the game outside of the game and engaging with other SWTOR players, like the forums or the discord server. I think more could be done by the devs to encourage players to interact with the community, it could be offering minor in-game incentives to posting on the forums or as simple as featuring a loading screen encouraging players to hop on the forums and join the discussion. 

I would also think some kind of system for Legacy friendships would be great. I make friends with someone while playing on one of my toons and they're on one of their toons, but even if we're playing at the same time again in the future I have no idea if we're not both playing on those same characters. Allow players to send Legacy friendship requests to other players that the recipient can accept or decline allowing their Legacy friends to see when they're on any of their characters. Or just be able to import/export friend's lists from your other characters.

Some kind of in-game "Looking for Group" board would be nice, or a direct in-game link to the "Looking for Group" forum section. Some kind of in-game feature where you can post on a notice board what kind of content you want to run and what times you're normally playing to find other people to easily group up for content if you choose. 

Offer an in-game incentive for adding characters to your friend's list and playing with them again. A small tech frag bonus for meeting someone in a groupfinder flashpoint or PvP match and playing with them again in the future. Or maybe a unique currency you earn by making friends and grouping up that allows you to buy unique cosmetics. Something to give a greater obvious in-game incentive to encourage player community engagement.

Encourage experienced players to play with new players and teach them the game. An incentive based on the difference in your Legacy level/account age and another player's, grouping with them and completing so many missions or such amount of conquest points while grouped with them gives a reward like tech fragments or unique cosmetics.

I really like SWTOR and want more people to play it and I think these are the kind of features that will help attract and retain new and returning players. 

• Like 3

Nice you've even thought up a few new idea's in addition to referencing the Legacy-wide Friends one!  

:hope_05:

I'd honestly love Legacy-wide (Friends) list, because this is supposed to be a Social Game, yet they got rid of the Social system; cause today Friends aren't setup to maintain regular interactions, or it's hard to see when online unless your in the same Guild. They should have improved Friends and how they work, before they axed the existing Social System & it's Rewards!   Today SWTOR has one of the least friendly systems, as someone can add you without knowledge, awareness, or even consent

Today if you Friend someone, you'd be required to add all their Character's on each and every Character you have.  It's honestly just a horrible system, and your far wiser to just ask someone their Discord.  Yet then you're regularly switching client programs, just to add each Character when you want to play.   :( 

So I'd love a Legacy-wide Friends (option) provided someone Opt into that: 

https://i.imgur.com/Sa9dMN3.png

So I'd love a Legacy-wide Friends (option) if someone Opts into  why we are requesting the following:

1. Required Opt-in to Legacy-wide Friends in > Preferences > Social > Legacy-wide Friends. 
  2. Only if both parties have opted in, would the other party be able to send & receive Legacy-wide Friend requests to others, otherwise the system would ignore them; to confirm they could Whisper the other and ask. 
  3. If both parties were to Opt-in, nothing would be shown to the requestor, until the requestee had also fully approved your request.  Those people would then appear on each others friends list, regardless of Character, yet only when logged on to the same Faction.
  4. A person who is also included in your Legacy-wide Block, would also not be authorized to send Legacy-wide Friend requests either.
  5. If either party removed a linked Legacy-wide Friend, then the connection would be removed from both parties friends list.  This is the same as SWG, Final Fantasy, D&D Neverwinter, Star Trek Online and several others MMO's to name but a few.  

NOTE: You'd still not see people ONLINE while on the opposing Faction Character's which makes sense, since you can't Whisper them either. They'd also likely have a appear offline like SWG, Final Fantasy, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online & others have; Legacy Friend are also approved & synchronized, so if one removes, your removed from both.  

Update to Friends made by Legacy, or by Character & require Approvals. - Suggestion Box - SWTOR | Forums

--------------------------------------------

Just my two cents, if you don't like idea then please just ignore, don't say awful things; and show some class.  :csw_yoda:

--Instead suggest all Friend request should be approved by the other party; as even I believe they should make that change too! 

Edited by Strathkin
  • Thanks 1