Does Broadsword Own/Moderate the Forums now?

Sir-steve

Just curious if the forums will/have transitioned over as I have a question that's Broadsword oriented, not EA.

That being said, and I know this is a long shot but......

If they have taken over SWTOR as a legacy SW game, any chance they'd try to pick up the old SWG IP from SOE?  Would love to see that revived (no slight to the EMU folks).

21 hours ago, Sir-steve said:

If they have taken over SWTOR as a legacy SW game, any chance they'd try to pick up the old SWG IP from SOE?  Would love to see that revived (no slight to the EMU folks).

You say you know this is a long shot but I don't think it even qualifies as a long shot.  In my opinion it's more of a stab in the dark. 

SWTOR is a MMORPG with active players and development team which made a transfer feasible.  SWG was closed long ago and has no players and no development team (excluding EMU).  If Broadsword was interested in picking up SWG I think they would have already made the attempt and it failed or they never even tried.  It's probably they never even tried since Broadsword wasn't formed until 2014 I believe, roughly 3 years after SWG closed.

On 10/17/2023 at 5:47 PM, Sir-steve said:

Just curious if the forums will/have transitioned over as I have a question that's Broadsword oriented, not EA.

That being said, and I know this is a long shot but......

SOE no longer owns SWG, nor does Daybreak or whoever runs that company now. The SWG code is freely available for anyone to access it, as a former employee released the code before the game shutdown. If Disney really wanted that game to go live again, it would have by now, and shutdown all the emu's, but they have no interest in it, it failed for a reason, it's a sandbox game, had multiple combat iterations over the years and a number of bad decisions. There are plenty of emulators on the market, notably one that released an entire expansion in Bespin. 

Sir-steve, if you were also Boethius, I remember you from SS on Live, you had a med bot in Eisley, I did too. lol Check out Legends if you're curious about the most active NGE emulator out there.

2 hours ago, Pirana said:

The SWG code is freely available for anyone to access it, as a former employee released the code before the game shutdown

*Legally* available?

EDIT: I should also point out that "SOE's inheritors do not pursue infractors" doesn't make the infractions legal.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

59 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

*Legally* available?

EDIT: I should also point out that "SOE's inheritors do not pursue infractors" doesn't make the infractions legal.

Did I mention anything pertaining to legalities? No, I did not. Comprehension is vital in almost everything you do, use it. 

1 hour ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Correct.  You did not, which was why I asked.

There's no need to be rude about it.

You answered your own question, thus making your question irrelevant. If you're truly desirous of knowing all the legalities or parameters, contact someone that runs one of these emulators, although I find it highly unlikely that you will, you already have your answer. Two superfluous posts, good job.

On 10/19/2023 at 12:33 PM, Pirana said:

Sir-steve, if you were also Boethius, I remember you from SS on Live, you had a med bot in Eisley, I did too. lol Check out Legends if you're curious about the most active NGE emulator out there.

Yep, that was me 🙂  I think I have Awakening and Legends loaded on my machine.  Pop in every so often and then just get sad.  Its like going back to your old high school.

1 hour ago, Sir-steve said:

Yep, that was me 🙂  I think I have Awakening and Legends loaded on my machine.  Pop in every so often and then just get sad.  Its like going back to your old high school.

Thought it might be you, not exactly a usual name. lol Legends is very active, not quite as busy as Starsider was towards the end of the game, but it's definitely active, including their Discord. There are probably well over fifty people that I recognize from SOE's game and there are always new players still joining. An option if you're wanting to play again or thinking about yesteryear. We obviously can't relive the past, but there's always tomorrow and creating new memories.