Allow JK2 dueling style!

KarlLagarfeld

I can't find the video now, but James Ohlen, one of the originals of the SWTOR development team, said in an interview that their original idea was a more action based combat system with active blocks, etc., but the management wanted Bioware to capture the WoW audience (kill WoW), so Ohlen and co. had to scrap their ideas and copy the boring hotbar combat style of World of Warcraft.

The biggest problem this decision created for Bioware was that by the time SWTOR came out, Blizzard had already changed its combat system to a more modern, faster system.

So SWTOR was already behind at release, and as a founder, I didn't get to experience QoL like Group Finder and transmog until much later in SWTOR's lifetime.

This really killed SWTOR's potential as a competitor to WoW.

Of course, I do not know if SWTOR would have been a rival to World of Warcraft if SWTOR had kept the original ideas for combat, but I am pretty sure that in trying to copy World of Warcraft, the only thing that set it apart was the IP, story, and voice acting, and that was not enough to fight the titan.

As always: failure of management, of the people making the decisions.

Edited by redsovereign