Playing Same Account on Different Hardware

DWho

So is it possible to play one SWTOR account on two different sets of hardware. That is, can I have SWTOR installed on PC1 in Location 1 and PC2 in Location 2 and then play on PC1 when I am at Location 1 and PC2 when I am at location 2. Or similarly have it installed on two PCs in the same location but only play on one of them at a time. Is this a TOS violation for multi-boxing or is the only issue the potential for the "one-time" password each time I switch hardware?

If it's one account, it's not multi-boxing because you can't login to the same account on two computers at the same time. (The most recent login logs out the previous login.) The computer or location doesn't matter, just who is playing on the account. If you are the only one playing, you are fine. Logging in at different locations will probably prompt the security code email every time you login but can be avoided with the security key. I guess there could be some things considered suspicious like if the two locations are very far apart (say, US and China). That might look suspicious and if you submitted a ticket, maybe they'd think the account was compromised.

Edited by ThanderSnB

Only thing I would add to the above is more about usability on different hardware. I do this between my dedicated PC at home and my laptop when I am on the road. Know that you have configs you created as a player that are not at the server level and part of the client file, the primary one you'll experience is the interface editor and how you have customized it. You will need to do that for both hardware.

34 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

I guess there could be some things considered suspicious like if the two locations are very far apart (say, US and China). That might look suspicious and if you submitted a ticket, maybe they'd think the account was compromised.

This was more what I was concerned about although the two locations would be in different parts of the same US state (300 miles or so) and would be more logging on from one location for several months and then from a different location the rest of the year.

58 minutes ago, DWho said:

This was more what I was concerned about although the two locations would be in different parts of the same US state (300 miles or so) and would be more logging on from one location for several months and then from a different location the rest of the year.

I think you are fine then. :jawa_biggrin:

2 hours ago, DWho said:

So is it possible to play one SWTOR account on two different sets of hardware. That is, can I have SWTOR installed on PC1 in Location 1 and PC2 in Location 2 and then play on PC1 when I am at Location 1 and PC2 when I am at location 2. Or similarly have it installed on two PCs in the same location but only play on one of them at a time. Is this a TOS violation for multi-boxing or is the only issue the potential for the "one-time" password each time I switch hardware?

The same physical person in two different locations (regardless of hardware) or two different sets of hardware (regardless of location(1)) is not a problem.

Two different physical persons on the same account, regardless of location or hardware, is explicitly forbidden by the terms of service.

(1) Subject to the point raised by @ThanderSnB about radically different countries.  I feel that it's necessary to point out that a limiting radius of 300 miles (that you cited) from where I live could land me in any of France (where I live), [REDACTED](2), Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Germany, and the United Kingdom, and possibly also Switzerland and/or Austria and/or Denmark.  None of those are what I'd consider "radically" different like US-vs-China.

(2) A small country whose name is a watchword for bad language because of a throwaway joke in a science-fiction comedy series.

1 hour ago, DWho said:

You don't need to be concerned about that pal, as another poster pointed out, they will be suspicious about it, and that is why they will prompt you to use a security code password which they will send to the email attached to the account to make sure it is the same owner of the account using it at a different location from different hardware.

It's the same thing that  happens when you install SWTOR on a new computer using the same account, even at the same location. This just happened to me recently when I got my new Alienware PC, I got prompted to enter the security code to confirm it was the same owner of the account.

As long as you can prove ownership of the account, you won't have any issues at all.

5 hours ago, DWho said:

Should be fine. I have a guildmate that moves often between different states and has no problems.

On 7/21/2023 at 6:11 PM, Shayddow said:

or, like I said before, get yourself a security key and avoid the issue altogether. 

Not sure why anyone wouldn't have a security key attached to their account. Pretty much a no-brainer isn't it? Plus, you get free coins for having one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.