half of the asking price as a fee to trade my item?

GeneralGyro

I posted something similar in my own thread about how the tax rate can go well above or below the 8% advertised. It's straight up theft.

Doing the math, if 170m is 8% of the items "value" then they're assuming the item you have is worth 2,125,000,000 credits. Selling at your price of 400m, that's a tax rate of 42.5% and the game basically telling you to sell higher. 

5 hours ago, captainbladejk said:

I posted something similar in my own thread about how the tax rate can go well above or below the 8% advertised. It's straight up theft.

Doing the math, if 170m is 8% of the items "value" then they're assuming the item you have is worth 2,125,000,000 credits. Selling at your price of 400m, that's a tax rate of 42.5% and the game basically telling you to sell higher. 

i reduced to 400m for 100 projects and finally got a buyer. road block 40% tax rate to trade. had to list it on gtn for them to buy

• Haha 1

All the time you've been trading and not paying any taxes on those transactions while the rest of the people using the GTN to sell things have been paying taxes all along.

Now it's your turn.

If you sell your wares on the GTN you'll be paying the same exact taxes that everyone else is and has been.

Working as intended.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Samcuu said:

Trading things is nice but it takes too much of my time to advertise and spam trade chat. So much easier just to throw it on the gtn and check back in 3 days. 

not when you got only a few days left of the pvp to catch up and get the tokens 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jedimasterjac said:

So it’s working exactly as intended then lol

Except it's not working as intended. 8% is tax advertised, yet this guy is seeing a 40% tax. 8% GTN should be no different than 8% personal trade. 8% of 400m should have been 32m credits, not 170m. In this instance the theft, i mean "fee", is basically telling him he has to sell higher or give nearly half the credits away. That is basically the devs stepping in and telling him he needs to sell for the price of over 2b or give away extra credits and is not what they advertised. Either it's 8% tax rate or it's not, there is no middle ground to that as numbers are what numbers are. 

13 minutes ago, captainbladejk said:

Except it's not working as intended. 8% is tax advertised, yet this guy is seeing a 40% tax. 8% GTN should be no different than 8% personal trade. 8% of 400m should have been 32m credits, not 170m. In this instance the theft, i mean "fee", is basically telling him he has to sell higher or give nearly half the credits away. That is basically the devs stepping in and telling him he needs to sell for the price of over 2b or give away extra credits and is not what they advertised. Either it's 8% tax rate or it's not, there is no middle ground to that as numbers are what numbers are. 

yep no ones gonna pay 2b for 100 projects, and you cant list them for 2b on gtn 

should scale 8% for a trade, no matter the amount of items. 40% tax is broken they must have messed up something 

Edited by GeneralGyro

38 minutes ago, captainbladejk said:

8% is tax advertised, yet this guy is seeing a 40% tax. 8% GTN should be no different than 8% personal trade.

that’s not how it’s advertised. 

Re-read the patch notes:

• Transferring credits between players through mail or direct trade is subject to a fee of 8% of the credits being transferred, paid by the sender.
  • The transfer of some high value items through mail or direct trade is subject to a credit fee based on its value, paid by the sender.

the 8% fee is for the transfer of credits; the transfer of items can go well beyond 8% in order to encourage players to utilize the GTN instead. 

make sure you’ve actually read things carefully :) you’re just misreading things and then blaming the devs for that. 

Edited by jedimasterjac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

that’s not how it’s advertised. 

Re-read the patch notes:

• Transferring credits between players through mail or direct trade is subject to a fee of 8% of the credits being transferred, paid by the sender.
  • The transfer of some high value items through mail or direct trade is subject to a credit fee based on its value, paid by the sender.

the 8% fee is for the transfer of credits; the transfer of items can go well beyond 8% in order to encourage players to utilize the GTN instead. 

and if something is worth more than the gtn? which wont bring prices down, sellers will just ask more money. they should have made gtn cap 10b

Just now, GeneralGyro said:

and if something is worth more than the gtn? which wont bring prices down, sellers will just ask more money. they should have made gtn cap 10b

That’s the whole point of the high tax. Sellers won’t just ask more money because they’re losing a bigger chunk of profit — and buyers won’t just pay more money for no reason. 

Just now, jedimasterjac said:

That’s the whole point of the high tax. Sellers won’t just ask more money because they’re losing a bigger chunk of profit — and buyers won’t just pay more money for no reason. 

they will if what they want cant be obtained via gtn.

this whole system is broken. or bioware is just clueless as ever

4 minutes ago, GeneralGyro said:

they will if what they want cant be obtained via gtn.

this whole system is broken. or bioware is just clueless as ever

In your own example -

You’re trying to sell an item for 400 million. 

it will cost you 170 million in taxes to sell. 

You’ll net 230 million. 

Alternatively, you sell on the GTN. Your maximum tax is 32 million. 

You net 368 million.

Why would it be more likely to increase off-GTN trade and raises prices when merely listing on the GTN is going to net you almost 140 million more credits? How many items are THAT inflexible in demand that it would sell being so much more? 

You yourself admitted that you ended up just listing it on the GTN. The system worked - you’ve literally provided a case study that it’s been designed successfully. And you’re still just insisting the opposite is reality?

Edited by jedimasterjac

2 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

In your own example -

You’re trying to sell an item for 400 million. 

it will cost you 170 million in taxes to sell. 

You’ll net 230 million. 

Alternatively, you sell on the GTN. Your maximum tax is 32 million. 

You net 368 million.

Why would it be more likely to increase off-GTN trade and raises prices when merely listing on the GTN is going to net you almost 140 million more credits? How many items are THAT inflexible in demand that it would sell being so much more? 

You yourself admitted that you ended up just listing it on the GTN. The system worked - you’ve literally provided a case study that it’s been designed successfully. And you’re still just insisting the opposite is reality?

its a stupid hoop both parties have to deal with for the transaction

forumites always clueless on stuff no surprise

2 minutes ago, GeneralGyro said:

its a stupid hoop both parties have to deal with for the transaction

forumites always clueless on stuff no surprise

You are completely correct about it if you are trying to sell to a friend at a decent price it's a hoop you need to jump through. But my question is why waste time advertising on fleet to sell a stack of dark projects when u can put it on the gtn and the person looking for dark projects will find it immediately? It's a lot of time saved by both parties. 

Edited by Samcuu

Just now, Samcuu said:

You are completely correct about it if you are trying to sell to a friend at a decent price it's a hoop you need to jump through. But my question is why waste tike advertising on fleet to sell a stack of dark projects when u can put it on the gtn and the person looking for dark projects will find it immediately? It's a lot of time saved by both parties. 

they can raise the gtn cap to 10b and ill be happy 

I love the "broken" Trade tax if it means people selling stuffs on the GTN again.

Agree on the raise of the GTN cap though. That should be in the next patch.

Not sure why they didn't raise it to 4B since that's the current personal pocket cap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Samcuu said:

You are completely correct about it if you are trying to sell to a friend at a decent price it's a hoop you need to jump through. But my question is why waste tike advertising on fleet to sell a stack of dark projects when u can put it on the gtn and the person looking for dark projects will find it immediately? It's a lot of time saved by both parties. 

If you don't want to see the advertisements you can ignore them. Whether or not they can sell on the GTN or not is irrelevant to the fact they have a right use the trade channels to try to sell. Is it quicker to use GTN, potentially yes. However 8% should be 8% regardless of where it's at. If it goes beyond that 8% then that's not what they advertised at all. In trying to sell to that friend, the game is essentially telling him to put it on the GTN or get punished with an additional 20%+ tax.