Can someone give me a good explanation.

Scrots

So I love to RP. Have done it for decades in games like SW:G, WoW, Red Dead Online, Conan Exiles and so on. Those games had huge open worlds, but weren't story driven like this game is. It makes RPing easier, in my opinion, when you don't have a strong driving force like this game's character stories. I have always wanted to find a good RP guild but never have, so far. Can someone explain how guilds/players RP in a game like this. Maybe I am being short sighted and focusing too much on the story, but it seems to me that it would be hard to RP something like a strong Imp special forces unit, with chain of command and all that, when I have a story telling me I am a bad ass Sith going around the galaxy beating ass, bowing to no one, taking out Sith Lords and joining a counsel. Any explanation would help, because I just resubbed and would love to get into an RP guild, but don't want to feel like I am a novice who has no idea what's going on. Thanks in advance. 

10 hours ago, Scrots said:

but it seems to me that it would be hard to RP something like a strong Imp special forces unit, with chain of command and all that, when I have a story telling me

It doesn't matter what the story tells you.  RPers will just ignore the personal details of the game's stories and do their RP.  About the only concession to the big main story is the inclusion of "global" (galaxy-wide) context in the RP, things like "who is the Emperor" and "who is the Chancellor of the Republic", but not at the level of "my Sith is a member of the Dark Council."

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Scrots said:

it would be hard to RP something like a strong Imp special forces unit, with chain of command and all that, when I have a story telling me I am a bad ass Sith going around the galaxy beating ass, bowing to no one, taking out Sith Lords and joining a counsel. Any explanation would help, because I just resubbed and would love to get into an RP guild, but don't want to feel like I am a novice who has no idea what's going on. Thanks in advance. 

It's pretty simple: Your RP character isn't the same as your player character. Someone else is the Jedi Knight, or the Sith Warrior. You're just Jedi. 

Basically, you ignore your class story and come up with your own.

Like Steve said, guilds bake in the big plot points to varying degrees. But the actual class stories are treated as someone else's story, if they're ever mentioned (they usually aren't).

2 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

It doesn't matter what the story tells you.  RPers will just ignore the personal details of the game's stories and do their RP.  About the only concession to the big main story is the inclusion of "global" (galaxy-wide) context in the RP, things like "who is the Emperor" and "who is the Chancellor of the Republic", but not at the level of "my Sith is a member of the Dark Council."

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for explaining.