Having to update every time I log in

Fenrirxero

Why am I having to update the client every time I log in?  It's anywhere from 5mbs to 35gbs!  But the client has to update every time.  What is going on!?  This is especially bad when it's the 35gbs updating!!

EDIT: I also login multiple times in a day, like anywhere from 5 to 10 times a day.  I'm also still getting the version not matching servers error message.

Edited by Fenrirxero

might be worth mentioning what region and ISP you use 

If the manifest is cached by the ISP and provides an older version , game version will be wrong , otherwise it could be the manifest is unable to write to the hard drive

Edit: if you have the ability to use a VPN and it starts to behave then the issue is out on the internet somehow

Edited by OwenBrooks

9 minutes ago, OwenBrooks said:

might be worth mentioning what region and ISP you use 

If the manifest is cached by the ISP and provides an older version , game version will be wrong , otherwise it could be the manifest is unable to write to the hard drive

Edit: if you have the ability to use a VPN and it starts to behave then the issue is out on the internet somehow

I know how to manage some tech, but I have no idea how to even check "manifest" caching.  I live in NA, ISP is AT&T.  Also, I don't use a VPN.

Edited by Fenrirxero

there are a number of people with this issue at present, hence thinking it is likley tied to a region/ISP 

I am checking when support are back online in about 9hrs if they have anything further to add to this and will try to remember to post here

I'm having the same problem. It started on Saturday. Computer has to download 35gbs. Then I log in and game doesn't match the server. If I ignore that prompt, I can still get into the game. Just annoying. If I hit "OK" the game closes then I have to download 2 more gs, still get the same prompt of game not matching server. If I do the language change, then everything works fine other than having to re agree to the tos. Its super fun!! All was working well on Thursday and Friday. I'm in the USA  with Comcast (barf)

1 minute ago, OwenBrooks said:

there are a number of people with this issue at present, hence thinking it is likley tied to a region/ISP 

I am checking when support are back online in about 9hrs if they have anything further to add to this and will try to remember to post here

Thank you Owen, you're an asset to this community.  They really need to put you on the payroll.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AlainaFlute said:

I'm having the same problem. It started on Saturday. Computer has to download 35gbs. Then I log in and game doesn't match the server. If I ignore that prompt, I can still get into the game. Just annoying. If I hit "OK" the game closes then I have to download 2 more gs, still get the same prompt of game not matching server. If I do the language change, then everything works fine other than having to re agree to the tos. Its super fun!! All was working well on Thursday and Friday. I'm in the USA  with Comcast (barf)

Are you still having to download something every time you login after swtiching languages and back again?

1 minute ago, Fenrirxero said:

Are you still having to download something every time you login after swtiching languages and back again?

I just did the switch language thing. No download this time. But it didn't fix the game not matching server prompt. I very rarely ever have problems with this game. I guess it was my turn :D

I think the issue is tied to North America for sure

Edit: will provide that to support as well , and see if they have an idea of whats occuring, it could even be one of the akamai/footprint servers is delivering the wrong files

Edited by OwenBrooks

3 hours ago, OwenBrooks said:

@Fenrirxero @KathiosLorano @AlainaFlute

I raised if support knew the cause of this , at this point they seem to think it is antivirus/firewall blocking the file 

What antivirus are you all using and are the swtor folders and files in the exception list ? need to try and see this is not the cause to build a case to look deeper if necessary 

I run Windows Defender and that's it.  I've made sure the exceptions for SWTOR are in there.  I'll try just turning it off completely and see how that goes.

BTW, I just tried logging in today for the first time and I got no updates needed.  First time since the patch came out so I'll have to see how it goes the next few times.

22 hours ago, OwenBrooks said:

@Fenrirxero @KathiosLorano @AlainaFlute

I raised if support knew the cause of this , at this point they seem to think it is antivirus/firewall blocking the file 

What antivirus are you all using and are the swtor folders and files in the exception list ? need to try and see this is not the cause to build a case to look deeper if necessary 

My game works fine now. But thanks if it happens again may try this! 

@OwenBrooks

I've been having the same issues with updates downloading again since 7.2.1, but not consistently, been a week since it last happened then today it's downloading 13gb of "update".

I'm in the UK on BT, just windows defender, no other AV/firewalls, firewall exceptions exist for swtor.exe and launcher.exe

Edit: oh and now version mismatch for the first time. Although if i ignore the popup on the character screen, and just click play, the game seems to work fine. 

Edited by Alkeria

Looks like it's verifying the first 2/3 of the update then redownloading the last 13.7ish GB 

update: Downloaded a few hundred mb then jumped to 6GB remaining, downloaded about a gig then jumped to about 1.7GB, another jump to about 300mb then continued to the end 

Edited by Alkeria

Update, I've not had to download again the last few logins.  However, I did notice something odd.  Anytime I execute the game launcher, it's been putting a text file on my desktop:  host.developer.cef.c.gpu-process.log.  Seems like when I delete this, I have to download the updates again.  So I've left it on for the last few logins and surprisingly no updates.  Why would this be needed?

EDIT:  I'm also not getting a mismatched version notice too btw.

Edited by Fenrirxero

Logged in yesterday and didn't have to download anything and no weird text on character selection screen, Hooray!!!.........Logged in today, gotta download 35g again and the prompt came back again on character selection. Didn't do anything different front yesterday to today. Completely baffled.