The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tatooine: Shock Treatment Mission RNG

DWho

Please fix the RNG on the Ion Gun. Today it took 6 full respawns of the droids (15 or so in each respawn) to get the 4 you need. The last couple times I've done the mission it's taken at least 4 full respawns. Fortunately, today it was on the European servers outside prime time there so I wasn't competing with anyone for the spawns.

• Like 2

I haven't done this quest lately, but I thought you could keep trying on the same droid over and over? The main annoyance is the long cooldown on the quest item. If the companion is set to attack mode, they will often take out the droid before you succeed. Setting the companion to passive mode helps. Only turn on the companion when your health gets down to 50%. Once all their heals are on cooldown, turn them back to passive mode. Yes, it's very counter-intuitive compared to almost every other mission in the game, but this increases the chance of you getting all 4 without wiping out all the droids and having to wait for respawns. I'm not saying it's a good mission design. They definitely can improve it, but until then, I've found this method works well most of the time. As far as I remember, I've only wiped out the whole group one time using this method. Most times I finish well before that.

If I could change this mission, I would either:

• Reduce the cooldown to 1.5s (normal gcd). -OR-
  • Increase the success rate to 100%, but increase the objective to 8 droids reset.

My preference is for the second one just because I don't like RNG that much. Well, I'm okay with RNG if it is "balanced." For example, if the quest item has a 25% success rate, balanced RNG would mean you're guaranteed success at least every 4 attempts.

Edited by ThanderSnB

On 9/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

This sort of request always makes me think of the Demonvine quest in Runes of Magic.

Objective: make ten of this plant.

Method: to make one of it, plant a seed in this bag of magic soil. Chance of success: one in ten.

To get the seed: Kill a Demonvine. Chance of dropping a seed: about one in fifteen.

Demonvines killed? 1500.