After 11 years, why is it still a pain to update my debit card?

AlCiao

This is a familiar story for most people, I assume. Every four years I get a new debit card from my bank, with a new expiration date and new three-digit security code for it. So every four years I have to update all my payment methods across multiple services. SWTOR is definitely the most tedious.

Try to edit my debit card? I change the expiration date, notice there's no box to input the new three-digit security code, so just press Ok, and then get an error "No Message Found," whatever that means. I assume it's because the three-digit security code doesn't match, but there's no way for me to input it by clicking Edit on my existing payment method.

Try to add it as a new payment method? Can't do that either, because the card number matches the one already on file.

So I have to delete my existing card, which by the way interrupts my subscription, to put in the card all over again, this time with the new expiration date and three-digit security code. Then I have to renew my subscription plan, getting a few errors in the process, before concluding that I am once again a renewing subscriber but without being 100% sure due to the site's wonkiness. I'd like to be sure, because otherwise, if SWTOR did some error and doesn't keep auto-renewing every month like it's supposed to, I lose guild leadership through no fault of my own.

I had to do this same process four years ago too, and the four years before that. Why is this process still so painful? It's in EA's best interests to make, y'know, their getting paid as easy and painless as possible. I wonder how many people have just decided not to bother and let their subscription lapse.

I went thru something similar. What I did to avoid problems with this is to have 2 different cards that renew at different times. So I change my payment method, then rotate to the other card before it expires. So one is a debit card & the other is an actual credit card. So it makes life a little easier.

3 hours ago, Shayddow said:

I went thru something similar. What I did to avoid problems with this is to have 2 different cards that renew at different times. So I change my payment method, then rotate to the other card before it expires. So one is a debit card & the other is an actual credit card. So it makes life a little easier.

That's a good workaround, though it doesn't work for me (only one bank account, and I stay away from credit cards like the plague).

But the fact that you need a workaround is telling.

EA/BW should really have fixed this by now.

2 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

I've never had any problems updating my credit card info. 😏

Glad someone doesn't have any issues, lol. I wonder if it's a difference between debit vs credit? Do you just click Edit, put in the new expiration date, and you're good?

I guess my bank is defective in some way, because the card number is different every time the only one expires (or is replaced for other reasons(1)), so I can just add the new one without problems.

Or maybe *your* banks are defective...

(1) Like when I lost my wallet.  (Yeah, I'm stupid like that, even though it only happened once.)  It had my debit card in it, which I cancelled as soon as I realised it was missing, but also some cool stuff that I deeply regret losing because ...

Well, it was, approximately, a loyalty card for the National Purchasing Federation for Cadres ("FNAC"), a French bookstore chain that also sells CDs, DVDs, Blurays, small electrical appliances and Avions de Chasse calendars.  The problem wasn't the functional aspect of the card, but the card itself, because when I signed up for it, I was offered the choice between the "Superman" or "Batman" versions, and when I had to replace it having lost the original, they didn't have the Superman/Batman split any more.  (Needless to say, I chose the Batman version, and I was severely bummed about being unable to replace it...)

20 hours ago, AlCiao said:

Glad someone doesn't have any issues, lol. I wonder if it's a difference between debit vs credit? Do you just click Edit, put in the new expiration date, and you're good?

For me, it's a credit card, and I simply updated the expiry date. It may be different for a 'debit card' (I didn't know you could use one) or different bank (on a different continent).