Please add a plain text editor to the new forum.

Falensawino

We can't properly edit forum posts

We can't properly quote replies

We can't properly reply to quoted text line by line, point by point

Since the forum revamp we lost the ability to edit posts manually via plain text editor with [BBcode] (Bulletin Board Code) to customize posts however necessary per thread.

There is some quote reply functionality but its obscure and trial and error based on visual dragging and hitting line break. As the forum stands September 29th, 2022 trough February 7th, 2023 it does not have full usability

Dearly miss a plain text editor

https://i.imgur.com/jFoCmqK.png

Edited by Falensawino

• Falensawino changed the title to Please add a plain text editor to the new forum.
12 hours ago, Falensawino said:

I dunno about that.  They seem pretty editable to me.  Depends how you define "properly" in this context.

Dunno, they seem properly quotable to me.  Again, it depends on how you define "properly" in this context.

The only thing that doesn't work for that is quoting "numbered lists", but that didn't work properly with the old forums, and was several hundred times more fussy even for bullet-point lists than the new forums are.

So, how do you define "properly" in this context?

Since the forum revamp we lost the ability to edit posts manually via plain text editor with [BBcode] (Bulltin Board Code) to customize posts however necessary per thread.

And yet I manage to customise them the way I need.  There were plenty of people who were clearly incapable of understanding(1) how to edit BBCode replies, and it was way too easy to mess up one or other of the fine-grained details of BBCode.  And it was overly easy, even for the technically ept(2) members of the audience, to end up in a fumble-fingered mode where the reply ended up being complete gibberish.(3)

There is some quote reply functionality but its obscure and trial and error based on visual dragging and hitting line break.

It's significantly less trial-and-error based than you are making it out to be.  To quote a whole post into your current reply, press the Quote button.  To quote a block of selected text, press the "Quote selected" that appears underneath it.  To gather up a bunch of things, press the + next to it, which even works between differrent threads, although it does require a bit of finagling if you discover a need to do it while composing a reply.

As the forum stands September 29th, 2022 trough February 7th, 2023 it does not have full usability

It has more usability for the non-technical(4) audience than the old system.

Dearly miss a plain text editor

It would be nice as an option, but the default should absolutely be the current visual mode.

(1) At least I'm not saying "people who refused to learn how ...".

(2) "Ept" should be the opposite of "inept".

(3) I include myself in the category of technically ept folks who are nonetheless fumble-fingered.

(4) I'm being slightly charitable here, because I'm in a good mood and because I want to avoid offending people by calling them "wilfully obtuse".  (Also because I don't think they are doing it on purpose, except for the ones who put different-coloured reply text inside quote blocks.)