The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Anyone else getting sick of the constant large updates following the Major Updates?

ReKabNad

You know, I'm a simple geek, with simple desires.  When I come home from work after another long 11-hour day, all I want to do is eat some dinner, then jump on SWTOR for awhile before I have to hit the sack.

But this month, EVERY DAY it's "BUT FIRST WE NEED ANOTHER 38 GB DOWNLOAD!" And half the time it breaks something, and the game won't launch until another small update comes hours later! 

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WITH THIS BANTHA POODOO!  GET IT RIGHT IN THE MAJOR UPDATES LIKE 7.2 or whatever just launched!  What's the point of the Public Test Server if it isn't helping eliminate the need for all these constant large downloads?!? 😡

9 hours ago, ReKabNad said:

But this month, EVERY DAY it's "BUT FIRST WE NEED ANOTHER 38 GB DOWNLOAD!

I'm hoping you're exaggerating for effect, because the only patch download this month has been 7.2b on the 18th. We've had some server downtime for maintenance outside of that, but nothing that required a client update.

Are you on the standalone launcher or the one linked to steam?

Back when I (re) installed the PTS to test the 64-bit, I would get a download every time I switched from the PTS to the regular servers (or vice versa). But since then - since going back to only the regular game - those downloads have stopped.

So, are you jumping back and forth between the PTS and the regular servers? Are you running in "administrator" mode? 

Edited by JediQuaker

4 hours ago, Crystal_Mind said:

I'm hoping you're exaggerating for effect, because the only patch download this month has been 7.2b on the 18th. We've had some server downtime for maintenance outside of that, but nothing that required a client update.

Are you on the standalone launcher or the one linked to steam?

Standalone launcher, and within the last week, I've had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the game due to a glitch at log-in saying my Game Version did not match the Server's.  And that glitch still happens at least once a day, which requires exiting the game, relaunching it, letting it download and install a small update, then it fixes the problem.

Then next night, Rinse & Repeat.  Game needs a 38 GB update, wait for it to download and install, then get the log-in glitch, exit out of the game, relaunch, wait for small update (a couple hundred MB or something) then finally I can log-in.

This is on Windows 10 Home, I believe, with an Nvidia 900 series graphics card (970 I think) and a Core i7 CPU from the same era.  I'll double check my system specs tonight, but it seems to me that after each reboot of my system, the game may be needing to reinstall the same updates.  Not sure what's up with that. 😕

13 minutes ago, ReKabNad said:

...within the last week, I've had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the game due to a glitch at log-in saying my Game Version did not match the Server's.  And that glitch still happens at least once a day, which requires exiting the game, relaunching it, letting it download and install a small update, then it fixes the problem.

Then next night, Rinse & Repeat.  Game needs a 38 GB update, wait for it to download and install, then get the log-in glitch, exit out of the game, relaunch, wait for small update (a couple hundred MB or something) then finally I can log-in.

That is utterly bizarre. I've heard of a couple guildies having similar issues on the standalone launcher from time to time, but never repeatedly over the course of days and weeks. That sounds infuriating.

You probably don't want to hear it, but you might want to try the steam launcher to see if it makes any difference in your user experience. (Should you have to change launchers? No, but 38GB takes A While to download, so it may be worth a shot at this point.)

But before that...

4 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

Back when I (re) installed the PTS to text the 64-bit, I would get a download every time I switched from the PTS to the regular servers (or vice versa). But since then - since going back to only the regular game - those downloads have stopped.

So, are you jumping back and forth between the PTS and the regular servers? Are you running in "administrator" mode? 

^JediQuaker also raises a really good point. Did you do any 64bit PTS testing?

Edited by Crystal_Mind
Valuable input from JediQuaker

16 minutes ago, Crystal_Mind said:
But before that...

^JediQuaker also raises a really good point. Did you do any 64bit PTS testing?

Not at all, been too engrossed in playing my Solo run through of the Knights of the Fallen Empire/Knights of the Eternal Throne storyline.