Constant 2 GB Updating

turbomagnus

I use the standalone launcher, it keeps trying to do a 2 GB update every time I log in and half of the time it ends up giving me a "Launcher error: Code 961 - RepositorySync_Error_StallTimeout" message that causes me to have to try and log in again.

I understand that this is a relic of the BitRaider days.

Is there a way to get it to stop or will I need to do something like uninstall the Launcher (if not the game client) and reinstall it completely?

Further information; and now, it seems, even when it's finished with that, when I press the 'play' button - whether for PTS or normal servers - either it stays on the Launcher and does nothing or closes the launcher without ever actually opening the game itself...

More than a little frustrated. Between updates taking forever and now this, I've gotten to actually play perhaps once in the week and a half since I renewed my subscription...

Edited by turbomagnus
Further information added.

The *simplest* way is:

• Uninstall it completely.
  • Download the latest copy of the installer.
  • Install from that rather than any older version you have lying around.

Since I don't remember exactly when but it was several years ago, they modified the installer to disable BitRaider by default.

Or use the Steam one, where *Steam* is responsible for downloading updates.  (Beware: on patch day, launch SWTOR *from* Steam after checking for updates rather than from a direct desktop link, because Steam launches the game before looking for patches, and you get the version-mismatch error.)

4 hours ago, turbomagnus said:

...Do the Live and PTS server downloads uninstall together or separately? Because it's starting to look like that's what I might have to do...

Separately, I think.  Maybe.  On Steam, they are separate "games" for the Steam client, but I'm not sure about the non-Steam launcher.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2 Gb download is because the PTS and Live is NOT two different entities on origin launcher. The PTS changes something that live-server does not like, and it happend to me when I go from live to PTS and back again.

4 hours ago, ReKabNad said:

You think you've got problems?  Try a constant 38 GB update multiple times a week! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

That is because of the PTS too. But it should have stopped with the latest instalment of PTS. I had to download PTS twice and live once, then completely remove it all, and start all over with both live and PTS install, to make it stop.

It is not Bitraider. I have not had Bitraider for like 3-4 years, and it still happened to me.

Edited by MortenJessen
Clarification

5 hours ago, MortenJessen said:

The 2 Gb download is because the PTS and Live is NOT two different entities on origin launcher. The PTS changes something that live-server does not like, and it happend to me when I go from live to PTS and back again.

That is because of the PTS too. But it should have stopped with the latest instalment of PTS. I had to download PTS twice and live once, then completely remove it all, and start all over with both live and PTS install, to make it stop.

It is not Bitraider. I have not had Bitraider for like 3-4 years, and it still happened to me.

As I've mentioned in my topic on this subject, I have never used the Public Test Server.  I've verified and re-verified that it is turned OFF on my copy of the game, which is a fresh install I did about 2 weeks ago.

If you're going to play on the Live Server then do not go to the PTS menu. That is what causes the 2GB download.

You don't need to go to the PTS menu to choose the Live Server. The launcher Defaults to the Live Server.

Edited by denavin