New companions

starbuckone

3 hours ago, starbuckone said:

Make characters like Darth Mar & Vaylin companions for players if they want them.

They could be added at the Odessen terminal, but with the " canonically speaking, they are dead and will take no part in the story". 

One other option: somehow, Czerka Corporation acquired Vaylin's genetic material and used it to create a clone. The clone escaped lab and the player's character is tasked by the leader of his faction (Emperor/Empress of the Sith or Supreme Chancellor of the Republic) to capture and destroy it. When she is found, surprise, she doesn't have any of the memories of the original, which makes her quite inoffensive, therefore the player ends up recruiting her. 

This might work because there is already a precedent,

Spoiler

Coral & Mako in the BH story, Mako being a genetic copy of Coral, but without Coral's homicidal tendencies. 

16 hours ago, TheOneWhoLives said:

Um... they're kinda dead, dude.

And how many times has Revan , Valkorian, and Malgus  died? Not to mention you even see him chatting with Satele after death plus he helps defeat the many versions of the eternal emperor which just shows death is not permanent for force users. Also must I remind you clone technology also exists in the old republic era? How many copies of Mako were there? I believe 14  including Mako & Koral. To quote Ian Malcom " Life Finds A Way"

Edited by starbuckone

Well... neither Marr nor Vaylin have the power to cheat death. Vitiate had to destroy entire planets to pull it off. Marr is a Force ghost, which means he can only observe and speak with the living world. He can no longer directly affect it. Sort of like Obi-Wan and Yoda in the OT.

Vaylin can't even be a Force ghost since she lacked the balance that Marr had. Ultimately... Vaylin can't come back in any form and Marr is still dead. Meaning he can't fight like a companion is meant to.

As for cloning... that doesn't make them the same person. A clone of Marr might be a homicidal maniac because he doesn't have Marr's experience. Also, cloning was imperfect and unreliable at this point in galactic history. That's why the program that created Mako was so well-funded and partially why it was eventually shut down. Only the Rakata had the capacity to clone anything with any skill before the Kaminoans.

Edited by TheOneWhoLives

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoLives said:

Well... neither Marr nor Vaylin have the power to cheat death. Vitiate had to destroy entire planets to pull it off. Marr is a Force ghost, which means he can only observe and speak with the living world. He can no longer directly affect it.

In SWTOR lore, Sith spirits(1) *can* affect the living world.  Ref: Lord Kallig in the initial encounter with the player character on Dromund Kaas.

(1) I'm aware that some folks make a distinction between Force ghosts and Sith spirits.

I was under the impression that Kallig's ability to affect the Inquisitor was due to the shared bloodline allowing him to connect with them. Aside from that, Sith spirits needed to possess something or someone to do anything.

And I think Marr qualifies as a Force ghost. Remember, he said his death forced him to reassess his position in the Force. He found balance before becoming one with the Force and became a balanced presence. Therefore, likely lacks the distinguishing factors of a Sith spirit.

9 hours ago, TheOneWhoLives said:

I was under the impression that Kallig's ability to affect the Inquisitor was due to the shared bloodline allowing him to connect with them. Aside from that, Sith spirits needed to possess something or someone to do anything.

Up to a point, yes, but don't forget that Wossname, the one who rants about vipers and his daughter and stuff (where Thanaton sends you to get the writings) *also* manages to affect the Inquisitor, but isn't linked to her in the same way.  And Kallig also kills a bunch of people, and by implication not by possessing them and getting them killed.  (No, it's not explicitly stated, either for or against.)

On 11/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

Up to a point, yes, but don't forget that Wossname, the one who rants about vipers and his daughter and stuff (where Thanaton sends you to get the writings) *also* manages to affect the Inquisitor, but isn't linked to her in the same way.  And Kallig also kills a bunch of people, and by implication not by possessing them and getting them killed.  (No, it's not explicitly stated, either for or against.)

Darth Andru, if I'm not wrong, he's the Sith betrayed by his own daughter (and apprentice). 

• Like 1