Companions outfits

thelittleorc

Totally new to SWTOR. Regarding companions, does gear matter? Or can I put anything . I have the imperial/republic pilot gear and I want them to look like one. But it has basically no stats. I read somewhere only weapons matter for companions? So that should mean I can basically put any kind of gear on them rite?

Gear doesn't matter anymore for companions (in former times this was different). It's only important to note, that they need their weapons to do attacks (and you'll need the right weapon type, for example Vette needing two blaster pistols, Quyzen needin a tech staff, etc.). It's safe to use the weapons which come with them. The stats on the weapons also don't matter.

Um Gear Shells? Do I just drop armor on top of it? And can I replace the "dropped" armor as I get better gear?

Just drop the shell or fixed-stats item into the box on the companion whenever you want. It exchanges(1) with whatever's there if the slot has something there, or add it if not.

But "as [you] get better gear" is of almost no importance, since the notional improvement over what the companion had before is of no importance - armour on companions matters only for looks, and weapons only matter in the difference between "has a weapon" and "does not have a weapon".(2)

EDIT: clarification in case there's still some doubt: the stats on companion gear do not matter *at*all*. They make no difference to the companion's combat performance. None. Just stick what looks good in there and if you find later that you think something else looks better, use that instead.

(1) Meaning that you don't lose the piece you had there before!

(2) Certain companions are bugged in cut-scenes and show their default weapons even if you've given them something else.

Edited by SteveTheCynic