Onderon and Ossus Now Maxing GPU - Didnt do it before 7.2

Morbanna

So is this a thing?

The performance on Onderon and Ossus is really laggy and jittery now.

Before last update i think it is 7.2 - performance was always as good a expected.

Now it is bad, really bad. Heat is ok just really high usage now.

Is there a fix?

I adjusted graphics from ultra to high but no change.

whatever - you have anything like this lag happening> version is #Current Update prior to this last update everything was fine.

For me nothing has changed on Onderon or Ossus. Same amount of lag same amount of stutter. Always have to change my graphics setting on those planets to be able to get more than 6 to 10 frame rate. After I make the adjustments I still only get about 15 to 25 frames or less.

Check you system... Microsuck did a forced update and may have screwed something up on your end.

For me nothing has changed on Onderon or Ossus. Same amount of lag same amount of stutter. Always have to change my graphics setting on those planets to be able to get more than 6 to 10 frame rate. After I make the adjustments I still only get about 15 to 25 frames or less.

Check you system... Microsuck did a forced update and may have screwed something up on your end.

idfk. I was getting nearly 60 fps ever since onderon even existed - yavin 4 is high poly foliage but it is fine since forever.

The same on ossus - nearly 60 fps at stand still and almost no jitter.

I tried some nvidia changes but there was no real difference.

There has to be something that was poked at and got broken on the back end - or - or - my gpu is losing its fight.

Bloody frustrating. Almost cant even do it now and the weeklys on those planets are the best CQ value for endgamer toons.

PLEASE DEVS FIGURE IT OUT FOR US!!!!!!

- my gpu is losing its fight.

A little education is necessary here...

Star Wars The Old Republic is a DirectX 9c game and does not use your GPU to render graphics for the game...

Graphics rendering is all done in the CPU not the GPU. The GPU is only used for things like anti-aliasing, shadows and reflections. Everything else is sent to the CPU. And since SWToR only uses one core of your CPU it will have a very hard time handling rendering of all the graphics as well as run the game all on that ONE core.

The term is a Bottle Neck. The GPU is much faster and can process way more data than the CPU can thus a Bottle Neck happens because the CPU can not keep up all the data the GPU wants to send to it.

If your GPU is losing its fight that is because it has to wait on the CPU before it can process more data. When your GPU waits it loops, over and over and over until the CPU is ready for the next piece of data then the GPU will process the next batch of data then again it must wait for the CPU to catch up. Putting any processor into a LOOP will push that processor to its MAX, 100% load. It's not that the GPU is doing LOTS of work processing data or rendering graphics, no instead it's doing lots of work doing nothing but keeping the data it has already processed alive so it can pass it along to the CPU once it finally catches up.

Edited by denavin

It's worth noting that the OP gave no indication of what sort of computer they're running. It could be some potato running Intel integrated graphics.

It's also worth noting that, as the poster above points out, it's more likely the CPU that's getting max'd.

Make sure ALL your drivers - not just the graphics - are up to date.

A little education is necessary here...

That might or might not be correct, but it's a really good idea to present accurate information when "educating" people.

Star Wars The Old Republic is a DirectX 9c game and does not use your GPU to render graphics for the game...

Graphics rendering is all done in the CPU not the GPU. The GPU is only used for things like anti-aliasing, shadows and reflections. Everything else is sent to the CPU.

The above is desperately incorrect.

And since SWToR only uses one core of your CPU it will have a very hard time handling rendering of all the graphics as well as run the game all on that ONE core.

This, too, is desperately incorrect. It should be clear to anyone who pays the slightest attention to what Task Manager reports that SWTOR has at least four threads distributed across the two processes. (Back in the day, I had an 8 by 2 CPU, eight hyperthreaded cores == 16 "vCPUs". SWTOR normally consumed between 20% and 25% = up to a quarter of those 16 vCPUs == 4 of them == two hyperthreaded cores. Well, except that Windows spread them across hyperthread 0 of four cores...)

The term is a Bottle Neck.

bottleneck. One word, but whatever.

The GPU is much faster and can process way more data than the CPU can thus a Bottle Neck happens because the CPU can not keep up all the data the GPU wants to send to it.

If your GPU is losing its fight that is because it has to wait on the CPU before it can process more data.

OP almost certainly means that the GPU is dying rather than what you say here.

When your GPU waits it loops, over and over and over until the CPU is ready for the next piece of data then the GPU will process the next batch of data then again it must wait for the CPU to catch up. Putting any processor into a LOOP will push that processor to its MAX, 100% load. It's not that the GPU is doing LOTS of work processing data or rendering graphics, no instead it's doing lots of work doing nothing but keeping the data it has already processed alive so it can pass it along to the CPU once it finally catches up.

Nonsense. CPUs of all types have long (and longer) been capable of entering an "idle" state where they do *actually* nothing rather than busy-waiting. Look up information about the x86 "HLT" instruction for more on this subject. (Summary: when a core reaches a "HLT" instruction, it sits and does nothing, drawing almost no power, until there's a hardware interrupt. GPUs will have something similar so that they don't run a full power-drain 100% of the time.)

• Like 1

Not quite so....

CPU plays a huge part on the rendering unfortunately , if you have a decent GPU then it isn't ordinarily the bottleneck on rendering , the card is usually waiting for the rendering from the engine , Rendering also gets compiled in the 1GB cache file called diskcachearena before being sent to the GPU , overclocking the CPU will normally increase the minimum fps being seen in-game ....

This would lead me to believe that the CPU is the primary Graphics Rendering engine and not the GPU. The GPU is a Sub-Processor of graphics with the CPU and the Primary Processor. I may have had the order of processing wrong but the CPU still handles most the Graphics and the GPU assists the CPU.

Oh and the game does indeed use DirectX 9c, a 20 year old rendering system that came out in 2002. Its LAST update was 2010 so it is still working within the limits of 12 year old technology.

Edited by denavin

When I go to Onderon, the game does use more of the GPU compared to other planets. Check this image for how much the process uses when on Onderon. I used Process Explorer for that one. Interestingly, you may be right about the grass/tree quality. Changing those values lowers the usage/temperature of the GPU. Edited by Andertyne

Not quite so....

This would lead me to believe that the CPU is the primary Graphics Rendering engine and not the GPU. The GPU is a Sub-Processor of graphics with the CPU and the Primary Processor. I may have had the order of processing wrong but the CPU still handles most the Graphics and the GPU assists the CPU.

Oh and the game does indeed use DirectX 9c, a 20 year old rendering system that came out in 2002. Its LAST update was 2010 so it is still working within the limits of 12 year old technology.

Hmm. What Owen said doesn't mean that the CPU is primary, doing *most* of the work, just that it does more than it should. And that is clear from several other things that go on, like the huge FPS drops in Warzones and 16-man Ops.

In those situations, there is additional work to do that *should* be done by the main CPU, meaning the whole main-CPU processing cycle ends up being significantly longer than it should be because it's doing a bunch of work that normally should be done by the GPU. But the GPU is almost certainly doing most of the rendering *calculations*.

Anecdote: when I upgraded the GPU on my main machine, from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2080 Ti with no other changes (same screens, same CPU and motherboard, etc.), SWTOR's frame rate doubled. I put the 1080 in my antique 2011 potato, replacing a GT430 (a truly crap GPU). It went from 20-25fps under all conditions in Medium without shadows on a 1920x1080 screen, to north of 100fps on Ultra when standing on Fleet. On Medium-no-shadows on the 1080, it hit the hard cap of 200fps.

The CPU in that machine is an feeble i5-760, four single-threaded cores clocked at 2.8GHz nominal, 3.6GHz turbo.

The CPU is not doing "most" of the rendering work.

But the comment about DX9c is correct, although the implication of "old tech == inferior tech" isn't necessarily accurate.

• Like 1