Change Gear Currency Names Back to from Generic Names

Tofu_Shark

The names for the gear currencies were changed with the 7.0.2 update. The patch notes cite:

The following currencies have been renamed to clarify what content the currencies are related to:

• Medal of Commendation is now Conquest Commendation
  • Aquatic Resource Matrix is now Daily Resource Matrix
  • Hazardous Matter Catalyst is now OP-1 Catalyst
  • Thyrsian Production Accelerant is now WZ-1 Accelerant
  • Decurion Isotope Stabilizer is now FP-1 Stabilizer

The purpose of each of these currencies are described in their tooltips when you mouseover them. Did anyone actually ask for this? And if anyone did, did that many people really not know what they were for and couldn't find the ways the game does explain it to the player? Rarely do I see an inquiry about this, and when I do, it is quickly corrected, with myself and I bet many players wondering, "why didn't you just click the item link in your System Messages to see the tooltip or mouseover the currency item in your Currencies tab?" which, by the way, the bug where the tooltip always appears below and right of the link has yet to be fixed.

This is just another cut in the thousand cuts against immersion in the game world. Please change the names back to their in-universe names. It's a small thing, but several small things add up in immersion, and there is a laundry list of things ranging from small to medium to large that have been changed over the existence of the game that have taken away from player immersion in the universe.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

This is just another cut in the thousand cuts against immersion in the game world. Please change the names back to their in-universe names.

Agree 100%.

Also, the problem was never the names of the currencies.

The problem is there are way too many stupid currencies in the game. Get rid of 2/3rds of them.

Even the existence of these gearing currencies was an offense against immersion. In what part of the real world do we have to bring, say, one postage stamp, three ripe tomatoes, a screwdriver, a hand mirror and fifty dollars to be able to buy a new pair of jeans?

Exactly.

Sure, you can't use credits any more, since veteran players have 100s of millions, even billions stacked up, but we already have TechFragments as gearing-currency.

They are Capped at 11k, so no one can have millions of them from pre 7.0. They would have worked perfectly, no need to introduce even more currencies.

Agree 100%.

Also, the problem was never the names of the currencies.

The problem is there are way too many stupid currencies in the game. Get rid of 2/3rds of them.

Even the existence of these gearing currencies was an offense against immersion. In what part of the real world do we have to bring, say, one postage stamp, three ripe tomatoes, a screwdriver, a hand mirror and fifty dollars to be able to buy a new pair of jeans?

Bartering probably exists still among indigenous peoples and people amongst themselves can still barter. There were few if any complaints about the various crystals you had to collect pre-4.0 to trade in for gear.

The problem is how willingly, if not happily, BioWare is to remove any kind of element from the game that lends to the player feeling like they're in the Star Wars universe.

I see your bartering argument and raise you hyperinflation. In what part of the world is a million of the local currency next to worthless? We can play this "in what part of the real world" game all day if you'd like.

Your move.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

I see your bartering argument and raise you hyperinflation. In what part of the world is a million of the local currency next to worthless?

It happened in 2006-2009 in Zimbabwe, so definitely in living memory. They redenominated three times, removing a total of 25 zeroes from the currency.

The names for the gear currencies were changed with the 7.0.2 update. The patch notes cite:

The purpose of each of these currencies are described in their tooltips when you mouseover them. Did anyone actually ask for this? And if anyone did, did that many people really not know what they were for and couldn't find the ways the game does explain it to the player? Rarely do I see an inquiry about this, and when I do, it is quickly corrected, with myself and I bet many players wondering, "why didn't you just click the item link in your System Messages to see the tooltip or mouseover the currency item in your Currencies tab?" which, by the way, the bug where the tooltip always appears below and right of the link has yet to be fixed.

This is just another cut in the thousand cuts against immersion in the game world. Please change the names back to their in-universe names. It's a small thing, but several small things add up in immersion, and there is a laundry list of things ranging from small to medium to large that have been changed over the existence of the game that have taken away from player immersion in the universe.

Fixing things that are not broke. A standard in MMO's today. Developers never learn.........

Yeah, the names of the materials was never a problem; no posts were made about it.

The problem is/was that upgrading gear is a serpentine process. Noble Decurion Caches only give gear levels you already have, not upgrades. You can upgrade some of your gear, but not all of it -at least not beyond a certain level.

Put the names back, we just aren't dumb enough to be confused by them.

It happened in 2006-2009 in Zimbabwe, so definitely in living memory. They redenominated three times, removing a total of 25 zeroes from the currency.

Oh, I know. There have been several references to the Zimbabwean economy since the hyperinflation in the galactic economy as well as more historical occurrences. It's just that you are such a stickler for technicalities, detail, pedantry, and general snark, I knew you couldn't resist stating the actual instance in reality to a hypothetical question. Sometimes it is justified, other times you come off as a crotchety, old software developer with nothing better to do than lurk the SWTOR forum all day, bursting people's bubbles for your own sadistic smugness.

So since you didn't present me with another question, that makes me the winner of the argument.

Edited by Tofu_Shark