Eight years worth of fan fiction

Scion_of_Balance

Crisis on Umbara

“Excuse me, my lord.” Quinn politely interrupted Thec’s conversation with Acina.

“We’ll give you two a moment alone.” Lana said as she herded the others away but Vette remained with her husband.

“It’s been a long time, Quinn.” Thec said as he approached his old captain.

“Too long. After you disappeared, I spent months on the hunt. Minister Lorman even heard about my crusade and ordered me to call off the search. He wanted the Emperor’s Wrath to ‘stay missing’. Naturally, I refused… and found myself in Imperial prison. I was locked away for years – until Empress Acina pardoned me shortly before you retired the poor Minister.” Thec could feel that Quinn was telling the truth. When Acina heard the Wrath had returned, she probably found out one of his servants had been locked up by the foolish Lorman and wanted him out as quickly as possible. The possibility she was the one who ordered Quinn to prison did not escape him. If the Wrath had returned at the wrong time, he could have easily usurped her and taken control for himself.

“Yet you still remained in hiding.” Thec pointed out.

“I actually tried to approach you once, when you visited Acina on Dromund Kaas. But I lost my nerve…” Quinn stared down at the floor as Thec could feel fear wash over him. “I worried you’d never forgive me. For Darth Baras, for returning to the Empire.” Quinn knew if the Wrath was going to kill him for his past betrayals, now would be the time to do it. He wasn’t officially a member of his crew anymore and there wasn’t any kind of special assignment only he could complete like in the old days.

“Do you understand what you’re asking?” Thec asked. “If you joined me, Vette would be your Empress. You two have never gotten along. Serving me would mean serving her as well.” Vette smiled as she crossed her arms.

“Yeah, you’ll have to do what I tell you. A former Twi’lek slave.” She said mockingly. Quinn glanced between the Wrath and Vette and shifted uncomfortably.

“May I speak freely, my lord?” Thec nodded.

“You may.” Quinn bowed his head respectfully.

“Thank you, my lord. I knew years ago you two had become quite close. If I may be frank, I don’t understand it. But just as when I was your captain, it is not my place to understand it. My place is to serve. If serving you means serving Vette, then so be it.” Thec eyed him for a moment. There was one thing that was nagging at him.

“Why do you want to serve me so badly? You BLEED the Empire. You could have stayed on Dromund Kaas where you would have been safe from me. You could have served the Empire as you always have and would have excelled at it. Yet you risk your life to stand before me and ask to join my Alliance. Why?” Quinn straightened, his eyes full of conviction and passion.

“How could anyone not be in awe of you, my lord?” Thec crossed his arms as his red eyes narrowed slightly.

“Flattery will get you nowhere, Quinn.” Thec interrupted.

“It’s not idle flattery, my lord. I swear.” Quinn said quickly. “I have seen how you operate. When I was ordered by Darth Baras to betray you, I honestly thought he was everything right about the Empire. He saw how useful I could be and saved me from being court-martialed. I thought he put the Empire before himself. But after you spared my life and we went on the hunt for Baras, I saw that he was threatening the entire Empire to further his own desire for power. If it wasn’t for you, the Empire could have fallen - and I would have been responsible. After you saved Makeb and gave the Empire a new resource, the team who worked with you were amply rewarded for their efforts. They became heroes. You have always been fair and open with your crew. You don’t let ego get in the way of duty as so many others had.” Quinn realized he was starting to ramble but he couldn’t stop now. He needed the Wrath to understand his feelings if he was going to have any chance of joining the Alliance. However, it would probably be wise to wrap it up before the Wrath lost his patience. He let out a quick breath as he composed himself once more. “I love the Empire.” He continued slowly. “I would give my life for it if need be, but I can’t deny any longer that the Empire is corrupt and that corruption will one day destroy it. The fact I was thrown in prison for searching for you proved that. The Wrath - the protector, savior, and hope of the Empire was lost and those who clawed for power wanted you to stay lost when Zakuul was systemically tearing us down. I know you will take everything I love about the Empire and bring it to the Eternal Alliance.” For a long moment the Wrath’s red eyes bore into him, studying him.

“If you EVER betray my trust again, I will do worse than kill you. I will make you Vette’s slave.” The Wrath said, his voice low and deadly serious.

“I’ll make sure to have a shock collar and a pretty pink slave girl outfit for you.” Vette said mockingly, but her voice also had the same hint of seriousness in it. No doubt they would make good on their promise. Quinn bowed his head low.

“I will not tempt fate, my lord.”

“Welcome to the Eternal Alliance.” Thec said, his voice pleasant enough but there was still the underlying tone of ‘you will be watched’.

“I’ve already drafted my resignation from the Sith Empire. I’ll fire it off, then acquaint myself with your new colleagues. If you require my services, you need only ask.” Quinn said then bowed his head low once more before heading to his office to send his resignation. The encounter had gone as expected. It was only fair he would be watched for a time and that was fine. He would prove his loyalty as many times as he needed to. Lana and Theron approached the Wrath after Quinn departed.

“I know you two have a lot of history, but he could be our traitor.” Theron said uneasily.

The question is, do you trust Major Quinn?” Lana asked.

“Quinn betrayed me once already. Deep down, I may never be able to trust him again. However, he is excellent at his job and we don’t want to waste him. Give him a Star Destroyer to command and give him an Admiral rank. He can serve under Thrawn.” Theron and Lana glanced at each other in shock.

“You’re being awfully generous to someone who betrayed you.” Theron said hesitantly.

“Quinn should have been an admiral years ago but the Empire held him back. Keep an eye on him and if he remains loyal, perhaps one day I will promote him to Grand Admiral.”

----------------------------------------------------------

“That’s impossible. According to the signal, they’re still on the convoy…” Lana said then heard a gun cocking behind her. She turned around to see Theron pointing his gun at the Wrath. “NO!” She cried out as she dove in front of him, taking the blaster shot that was aimed for his heart. Her body sizzled with purple sparks as she lay unconscious on the floor.

“Theron…?” Thec asked in disbelief as Theron continued to point his blaster at him.

“It’s over, Commander.” He said, then shot at Thec who ducked under the blaster bolt. The bolt smashed through the window behind them which caused the red alarm to blare to life. Without giving him a second to react, Theron put a few more bolts into the computer, causing a force-field to activate, separating them.

“Theron! What’s going on? Why are you doing this?” Auroja cried out as she kneeled down to make sure Lana was still breathing.

“In a few minutes, this train will collide with that mountain range. You’ll be disintegrated, and I’ll escape with the Adegan crystals.” He turned towards the Wrath’s daughter. “I’m sorry, Auroja. It’s nothing personal against you. Don’t worry, you won’t feel a thing.” The Wrath glared hatefully as he reached out with the Force to lift Theron off his feet and strangled him through the force-field.

“I could end your miserable life in an instant.” He really, REALLY wanted to slowly choke the life out of the traitor right now but he didn’t have that kind of time. He dropped Theron unceremoniously who landed on his hands and knees. “But first, I want to hear an explanation from the traitor’s lips.” Theron rubbed his neck as he got back on his feet.

“When you show your true colors, it makes all this easier. Luring you into that trap on Iokath was just the beginning. Ever since you defeated Valkorian, everything I have done has been towards one goal – the total destruction of the Eternal Alliance.” Auroja stood up and stood next to her father.

“But Theron, you helped build the Alliance. After everything we’ve been through, why tear it down now?” Theron looked at Auroja with sadness and disappointment at the young Jedi.

“Why are you defending him? He stole the Alliance from you! We were supposed to stop the Eternal Empire then go home, not make a whole new empire from the ashes.” He turned his attention back to the Wrath. “I had hoped you would finally end the cycle of war once Valkorian was killed. But the Eternal Throne has brought out the worst in you. Now you’re a power-hungry tyrant. You stole the Alliance from your own daughter. I don’t know why I expected anything less.”

“How exactly did you expect me to stop the war? Ask nicely?” Thec snapped. “The Empire and the Republic have been at war since the moment they met. You saw with your own eyes how they continued fighting each other even when a more dangerous enemy threatened to destroy them all. I want peace too, Theron. I’ve been striving for that goal for a long time, but it takes a strong leader to accomplish that.”

“If you topple the Alliance, millions will die!” Auroja pleaded.

“If that’s the cost of peace, so be it.” Theron said softly. “Thirty seconds to impact. This is goodbye.”

“You better start running, Theron!” The Wrath yelled. “I’m going to enjoy hunting you down!”

----------------------------------------------------------------

“This isn’t over, Theron!” The Wrath yelled as Theron took off on a small ship.

“No, this is just beginning!” Theron called back just as an Umbaran Spider Tank materialized before him. The Wrath’s eyes blazed with rage as he used the Force to lift the massive droid and hurled it at Theron’s ship. The ship had picked up speed just in time to avoid being hit and the droid landed in the water, creating a large tidal wave. The water swept away the nearby fools who had hoped to somehow kill the Wrath when countless had failed. The Wrath simply used the Force to create a bubble around himself and Lana to keep the water from washing them away as well.

“Well… that didn’t keep him busy as long as I had hoped.” Theron said sarcastically to himself as he sat down and took direct control of the ship.

----------------------------------------------------------------

By the time Thec had arrived back at base, Vaylin, Livewire, Lorvishil, Vette, and Arcann had all gathered to meet him.

“Someone betrayed you, did they?” Vaylin said with a wicked smile. Thec’s eyes narrowed darkly.

“How did you know?” He asked, but Vaylin shrugged casually.

“I could feel your rage all the way over here. Not the normal kind of anger but the anger one feels when betrayed by a close friend.”

“It’s true.” Arcann said. “Every Force user here could feel it.”

“It was Theron, wasn’t it?” Lorvishil interrupted and Thec nodded gravely.

“It was.” Livewire took out her pistols and twirled them excitedly.

“That means the Emperor’s Wrath gets to hunt him down and beat him so bad that his mommy will feel it.”

“I should hunt him down.” Lorvishil suggested. “I doubted him from the beginning and I’m a far better spy then he is.”

“You’re not the only spy here!” Livewire growled. She wasn’t about to be left out of the action.

“Quiet, all of you.” Thec ordered. “I want to send a message to Theron. Open a holochannel and prepare to broadcast it across the galaxy.”

“Clearing channels now.” Lana said. “What message will you send the traitor?”

Qaijarr was sitting in the cantina having a strong drink when the holo built into every table suddenly sprang to life. A tiny image of the new Emperor appeared.

“This is the Commander of the Eternal Alliance. I have a warning about the terrorist, Theron Shan. He is a dangerous, unhinged criminal who will stop at nothing to destroy you and your loved ones. I am placing a bounty on Theron Shan’s head. One billion credits to anyone who brings him in… Dead or alive.” The catina suddenly came alive with would-be bounty hunters. Qaijarr smiled as he stood up and headed to his ship.

“Time to get to work.” He mused to himself.

“What was that for?!” Lorvishil demanded. “I don’t need the entire galaxy getting in my way!”

“Theron’s threat to the Alliance is of the highest caliber.” Thec explained, surprisingly calm. “I will not take any chances. All of you are free to seek him out as you please.” He eyed Vaylin and Livewire sternly. “No unnecessary destruction. We don’t need everyone to turn against us over one man. Whoever kills or brings Theron in will get the one billion credits. If you want a chance then I suggest you get started.” The three Emperor’s Wrath left to seek out the traitor. Arcann bowed respectfully before joining his sister in the hunt.

“I still can’t believe Theron was the traitor.” Auroja said, clearly distraught. “He worked so hard for the Alliance.”

“Do you think I am the same as Vitiate?” Thec asked as he looked between Lana, Auroja, and Vette. “If I am giving off the impression of being a tyrant then I want to know.”

“You’re tough, but not a tyrant.” Lana spoke up first. “You’ve been sending supplies to everyone in an effort to help them rebuild. You don’t just mow down rebellions like Vitiate would. You understand that keeping peace takes a strong presence. It’s not your fault the Empire and Republic refuse to stop killing each other. In fact, you might need to be tougher on them. We might want to consider not sending supplies as long as the Republic and Empire refuse to have a non-aggression pact.” Thec looked between Auroja and Vette for confirmation.

“I think she has a point.” Auroja admitted reluctantly. “They’ll never stop fighting unless we give them no choice. Theron was wrong. You’re not a tyrant. I’ve seen tyrants face-to-face and you’re nothing like that. We’ll keep working towards peace.” Thec nodded his acknowledgement.

“Thank you for your honesty. Please excuse me.” He said before he left towards his room with Vette in tow.

“You’re surprisingly calm given what happened. Are you ok?” She asked as she held on to his arm.

“I have much to do and much to think about.” He said, but sounded a bit distant. He was already deep in thought. “I would of course love to hunt down Theron myself right this moment but I need to make sure the Alliance doesn’t fall apart. A betrayal like this can create doubt in the ruler’s competence. I need to keep everyone calm.”

Traitor Among Chiss through Echoes of Oblivion

“You wouldn’t dare.” Syndic Zenta said defiantly but Thectelo could feel her panic.

“You have a deal, Aristocra.” Thectelo brought his lightsaber down on the now helpless woman. Another corpse in the long bloody trail he was leaving behind on his quest to find the traitorous Theron Shan. Vette looked away from the carnage. Being betrayed always put her husband in a particularly Sithy mood. At least they might get an alliance with the Chiss for this one….

-------------------------------------------------------------------

“Lord Wrath, there’s something I need to say.” Arcann said as he approached Thectelo. “Not so long ago, you placed your faith in me, in spite of my past. I was your enemy from the start, but Theron was your friend. He stood by your side through the worst of my attacks. Regardless of his intentions now, when the time comes…consider the same mercy you showed me.”

“There is only one way to deal with traitors, Arcann.” Thectelo growled angrily. “Turning an enemy into an ally is one thing but a friend becoming an enemy is another. One can be forgiven, the other cannot.”

“Then you’d be turning an enemy into an ally.” Arcann pointed out. “Would you not? After you defeat Zildrog, think about what I said when the time comes.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

“…Now that we have that sorted out – Lana, I want you to use this GEMINI droid as scrap for my new throne.” Thectelo ordered as he threw the droid’s limp body on the floor.

“Is that why you brought it with us as we were running for our lives? You were serious about that?” Lana knew the Alliance leader was a bit eccentric but even she struggled with this one.

“I’m ALWAYS serious about my threats.” Thectelo said unapologetically.

“Wait – “ Vette interrupted. “I recall you threatening to kill and eat a gang of thieves.”

“And pick my teeth with their bones. I remember.” Thec said.

“So…were you…?” She asked, not really sure if she wanted the answer.

“Well, I did say I would eat them raw. I may have fibbed on that a little. I probably would have cooked them since I doubt they would taste all that appealing raw.” Thec responded with a completely straight face.

“Okay……” Vette said slowly, now VERY uncomfortable. “Moving on!”

“I would definitely recommend cooking them first.” Lana said, also with a straight face. “And bring some seasoning. It helps to cover up the taste of the drugs they use.” Vette and Theron looked between Thec and Lana worriedly.

“Do you think….?” Vette whispered to Theron.

“They are Sith…anything is possible.” Theron whispered back. Thec and Lana smiled broadly.

“Oh, Theron is back – and alive. I guess you figured out he never defected.” Ice Queen said with a hint of disappointment in her voice as she entered the room.

“Theron!” Livewire exclaimed then whipped out her blaster to shoot him. Ice Queen grabbed her wrist and thrust her arm upward just in time for the blaster bolt to go over Theron’s head.

“He’s not our target. He never defected.” Ice Queen explained.

“I know that!” Livewire said. “I- “ but Thectelo interrupted her.

“Wait, you knew Theron never defected?” He asked with a hint of threat in his voice.

“Yes.” Ice Queen, Livewire, and Thrawn responded simultaneously.

“Who?” Vaylin asked, not really interested.

“And you didn’t tell me?” He demanded. The threat in his voice was unmistakable now.

“Would you have put a bounty on Theron’s head if you knew? Would you have done half the things you did?” Ice Queen asked as coolly as her nickname suggested.

“Of course not!” Thec exclaimed.

“Exactly.” Ice Queen said. “You would have acted differently if you knew and that would have jeopardized Theron’s mission. You have a reputation to uphold, you know.”

“Hold on a minute!” Theron demanded. “How did you three find out I didn’t defect? I didn’t tell you. I didn’t tell ANYONE!” Ice Queen scoffed.

“Because I’m better at my job than you, Theron.” She said coldly. She wasn’t even trying to hide her disdain of the man.

“It was obvious.” Thrawn said simply with a shrug.

“Even I don’t think you’re THAT stupid, Theron.” Livewire said. “Though, a girl can dream.”

“Well…” Theron said, feeling deflated. “I’m….glad we cleared that up - I guess. Wait, if you knew I didn’t defect then why did you try to shoot me just now?” He asked Livewire.

“Why not?” She responded.

“Because we’re supposed to be on the same – UGH! Never mind….” Theron said with a sigh and placed a hand to his temple as if he suddenly felt a headache coming on.

“Oh, is this the guy we were supposed to kill? Who was that other guy we killed?” Vaylin asked Livewire who shrugged casually in response.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thectelo walked into the throne room and found Vette sitting rather smugly in his chair. He walked over to her and forced a smile as he cupped her hands in his and kissed them.

“Hey, you!” She greeted happily but her smile soon faded into concern. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Can we talk, Vette? In private?” Thec asked.

“Yeah, sure.” She said. “What’s up?” She asked when he closed the door.

“I came across Jaesa while on Ossus.” Thec said. “She decided to join the Alliance.”

“Isn’t that a good thing? Why the glum face?” Thectelo let out a heavy sigh.

“Her strength will be a great addition to the Alliance but – “ He hesitated - something he very rarely did. “It seems Jaesa has feelings for me. She confessed her love for me.” Now it was Vette’s turn to hesitate. It was equally rare for her to be speechless.

“O….k…” She said slowly.

“I turned her down, of course.” He said quickly. “But I don’t think she knows we’re married. I want to talk with her and explain everything but I can’t until she has had some time alone.”

“Well if she doesn’t know, she’ll know soon enough. It’s not exactly a secret anymore.” She said with a shrug.

“Yes, but I think she deserves to know the truth. She was a worthy apprentice but she knows very little about me. Perhaps hearing the whole story will provide her with clarity. Even after all this time, she is still directionless and weak-willed.” Vette wrapped her arms lovingly around her husband’s neck and kissed him gently on the lips.

“You know I’ll back you up whatever you want to do.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

After a long solitary meditation, Jaesa entered the cantina and ordered a strong drink. She sat in a corner by herself and had intended on sipping her drink slowly. She chugged the whole thing before she realized what she was doing.

“Mind if I join you?” Asked an unfamiliar female voice. Jaesa looked up to see a female Pureblood Sith with an impressive stature. Her skin said Sith but her clothing said Jedi. It was such a strange contrast that it caught her off guard and made her forget her misery for a second.

“I would prefer to be alone if you don’t mind.” Jaesa said glumly then tipped the glass up to get whatever drop of alcohol might have stubbornly remained. Nothing. Disappointed, she very gingerly placed the glass on the table to prevent herself from hurling it across the room.

“I understand.” The female Sith said. “I could sense a conflict in you. I know a thing or two about conflict. I’m Auroja.” Auroja said cheerfully with a polite bow. When Jaesa didn’t respond, Auroja continued. “You’re new to the Alliance. We haven’t had many new recruits since Valkorian was killed. Yet, you came. You’re clearly a Jedi but you don’t feel the same as most Jedi. But then again, most Jedi don’t wind up here.”

“When I heard my master had a place where both Jedi and Sith worked side-by-side, I had to see it for myself.” Jaesa said as she looked up, almost in awe, at the scene around her. From her angle she could see everyone. Mostly the Jedi and Sith kept to their own tables but there were a few where Sith and Jedi sat at the same table. Even if they had all been sitting at their own tables, the fact that so many Sith and Jedi were in the same room without it turning into a bloodbath was nothing short of miraculous.

“Oh? Who is your master?” Auroja asked.

“Oh right.” Jaesa said a bit sheepishly. “You know him as the Commander.” Auroja smiled and crossed her arms over her chest.

“So you must be Jaesa Willsaam.” Jaesa blinked and looked up at Auroja.

“You know who I am?”

“Sure do.” Auroja said with a nod. “My father told me all about you. He said you also wanted to have Jedi and Sith live in peace.” Now Jaesa was REALLY confused.

“Your – father? Does that mean…?”

“Yep.” Auroja said, smiling brightly. “My father is the former Emperor’s Wrath. You two go back before I was born.” Jaesa pointed to a chair and Auroja sat down.

“Ok. Start over.” Jaesa said.

A couple days later, Jaesa found Thec exiting his throne room after a long meeting.

“Master!” Jaesa called as she ran over to him. “Master, I have been looking everywhere for you.” Thec paused as Vette squeezed his hand supportively. “Master, I’d like to speak with your privately, if I may.” Thec looked to his wife who smiled.

“It’s ok. I’ll see you later.” Vette said then left them alone.

“Jaesa, I – “ Thec started.

“It’s ok, master. I’m not upset.” Jaesa said. “I have been speaking to Auroja the past couple of days.” Thec paused.

“I see… How much has she told you?” He said carefully.

“She has told me her side of things. If you have the time, I would like to hear your side.” Thec nodded.

“I hope you had lunch. This is going to take a while… “ He led them outside to the solitude of the small field they had talked previously. He sat down on the warm golden grass and Jaesa did the same. No sooner did she join him that he began to speak. He told her everything. He told her about Freasca and what he did. He told her how he fell to the dark side and how Vette had very slowly brought him back to himself. He told her how he and Vette married in secret while they were still on the hunt for Baras. He told her how Auroja had come to be and that he gave her to the Jedi in an effort to balance out the two factions but that had failed. He told her about Revan, Vitiate, Vaylin, and Master Timmns. He didn’t leave anything out. By the time he was finished, he felt like he had vomited out his very being for her to analyze.

“And there you have it.” He said finally. “Only you, Vette, and Auroja know what I have told you. Your abilities would be vital to the success off the Alliance but I would understand if you chose to leave.”

“Why would I leave?” Jaesa asked. “This is everything we have been working towards. Sith and Jedi working together to finally have peace in the galaxy. I don’t need to use my power to know you’re the sane person you were when we first met. You’ve never lied to me. You’ve kept information from me, yes, but only because it was absolutely necessary. If it had gotten out that the Wrath had married his Twilek slave, you would have been laughed out of the Empire and all of our efforts would have been wasted. You have never led me on or showed any interest in a romantic relationship. The mistake was mine. As I said, this won’t change anything between us. I want to continue on as before. I want to be your apprentice and help you any way I can.” Thec nodded.

“Thank you, Jaesa. I gladly accept you once again as my apprentice. If you wish to help, you need to reconnect with your power. You have neglected your training for far too long. I want to know immediately if you sense anything wrong from anyone. And keep an eye out for a Sith named Malora. She may join the Alliance but I don’t trust her. I feel she is up to something. Even if she chooses not to join us, I want to have her watched.”

“…I’m the last guy to give a lecture on fidelity and we’ve been apart a long time. But I just want to be sure you know I’ve stayed true. You’re the only one for me.” Doc said to Auroja with a broad winning smile. They were sitting in a corner in the cantina having drinks. Auroja smiled but it soon faded.

“You’re lying.” She said softly.

“Wh-what? No – no, of course not!” Doc protested nervously. “You’re a hard act to follow, gorgeous! I mean, hero of Tython and all that, right?”

“I can feel it in your emotions. You’re lying.” She said softly again as tears began to well up in her eyes.

“Ok, ok! There was that one on Nar Shaddaa and then another on Manaan. Never had a fish before that one – “ Doc said hastily but Auroja suddenly stood up and started to leave. He grabbed her wrist. “Wait, I’m sorry. Ok? You were gone for so long. You know how I am. But, now that you’re back I won’t look at anyone else!” Auroja made a noise of disgust as she wrenched her wrist free of him then stormed off.

Auroja spent many weeks in seclusion. She was deep in meditation. She wanted to sort out who she was once and for all. She had been so conflicted ever since she joined the Alliance to stop Vitiate. Even more so once she finally learned who her father was. The Republic’s and Jedi’s treatment of her was also a source of that conflict.

The Jedi never raised her to be a proper Jedi. She had never wanted to accept it but the truth was, they saw her red skin and turned her into a killer of her own kind. While they taught the other padawans the Jedi Code, she was being taught combat from the most skilled teachers Tython had to offer. No matter what they claimed, many hate the Sith. There are a few who do not, but most of the Jedi she encountered couldn’t wait to be rid of them. The Jedi have tried to commit genocide on several occasions. The Empire, Flesh Raiders, and surely others.

Even on Tython when the Flesh Raiders attacked, the Jedi were disappointed they didn’t have more padawans that were trained enough to kill. Killing in its very nature is a dark side act.

Master Orgus Din was one of the better Jedi she had encountered. The time she spent on Rishi helping the people there still left its mark. It was the only time she had felt fulfilled and at peace, like she had finally found her purpose. But the Jedi were always pointing her towards the next blood bath.

Master Somminick Timmns was another of the better Jedi but her time with him was few and far between. Sometimes she wondered if her father wanted Master Timmns to train her personally. If she had, maybe things would have been different. Maybe she wouldn’t have made so many mistakes.

Master Shan had to work with Darth Marr on Yavin 4. It wasn’t until she understood more about Imperial and Sith culture did she realize how incredibly rude Master Shan had been. Even when everything was on the line, she couldn’t keep her prejudice to herself.

Then there was the hunt for Vitiate. The Republic tried to kill her and refused to join the hunt.

She got married which is in direct violation of the Jedi Code.

She has never been a good Jedi. Not like Master Timmns or Master Din.

Jedi Knight Tau doesn’t want peace. My father does. My father the Sith.

Her mind raced. It pulled information and memories from seemingly random places.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

But…there is emotion. Everyone has emotions. Even animals have emotions. Why deny the existence of something so fundamental to life?

Fear.

Fear of attachments. Fear of sadness or anger. Fear of pleasure. Fear of…losing control. But fear leads to hate. The Jedi teachings are rooted in fear. Fear of becoming a Sith.

But her father and aunt Freasca are Sith. Lana is also Sith. None of them seem like inherently bad people. Most of the cruelty they have inflicted stems from their upbringing and culture. Not from the dark side itself.

The Voss use the Force and are not Jedi or Sith. They seem to live in balance with the Force.

And there was peace; it’s not a lie. She had felt peace once and it forever changed her.

When she had finally come to a decision, she slowly opened her eyes. She had been so focused and absorbed in her own memories, she had forgotten to eat the last several days. Jedi are trained to go days without food - weeks even, so the hunger pain was not unbearable. But, food did sound very appealing. Just as she was taking her first bites, she felt a familiar presence…no…two.

“It can’t be…!” She breathed as she abandoned her food and ran to the docking station. Her father and the others had been celebrating at the Vaiken Spacedock and had apparently come back early. The doors opened to reveal her father and two old friends. “Kira! Scourge!” She called happily then ran over and gave Kira the biggest hug of her life.

“Whoa! Hey!” Kira laughed as the much larger woman picked her up easily and hugged her tightly.

“We meet again at last.” Scourge said approvingly. This was a very fortunate turn of events.

“You know these two?” Thec asked.

“Do I ever!” Auroja said excitedly as she finally released Kira from her vice grip. “They were on my crew while we hunted down the Emperor. I couldn’t have killed him without their help.”

“I’d love to hear about it some time.” Thec said. “But it seems we have an important meeting about Vitiate to discuss.”

“Yes.” Scourge said. “It’s good you are here. You should join us. This will concern you, as well.”

---------------------------------------------------------------

“It’s going to take a while for the transport to come back into range.” Kira said as they wrapped up their meeting.

“Then, we should stay here until it does.” Scourge said. “If you require any assistance in the meantime, don’t hesitate to ask.” He said to Thectelo.

“Not so fast.” Kira said sternly. “I’m not fighting the Republic or Jedi, so if that’s what you want? Definitely hesitate to ask.”

“Ignore her.” Scourge said dismissively. “If necessary, I can slay enough of your enemies for the both of us.” Kira made a sound of disgust.

“If you need me, I’ll be wherever the JEDI are.” Kira said tartly as she started to walk off then turned to Auroja. “Come find me when you have a minute. We definitely need to catch up!”

“I will.” Auroja promised. “I need to talk with my father first and then I’ll come find both of you.” That made Kira pause in mid step.

“Your – father? You’ve never mentioned him before.”

“That’s because I didn’t know anything about him before.” Auroja said. “I only found out recently.”

“Who is your father? We should meet him.” Kira said, suddenly excited. Thectelo inclined his head.

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” He said with a smile. Kira’s jaw dropped.

“Wait, the new Emperor’s Wrath is your father? This answers sooooo many questions and raises sooooo many more.”

“Does it now?” Auroja asked with a smile as she crossed her arms.

“Now I see where you got your impressive strength.” Scourge nodded approvingly. “Yes, it makes sense he was able to kill Valkorian’s form. But I saw in my vision, it will be Auroja that kills the Emperor once and for all.”

“Even if that’s true, she won’t be doing it alone.” Thec said. “I will be by her side.”

“As will I.” Scourge promised.

“Hey, don’t leave me out of it.” Kira chimed in.

“I appreciate it.” Auroja said sincerely. “I really do. Now, go and rest up. I really need to talk to my father. I’ll meet up with you later.” Kira and Scourge nodded then took their leave.

“It’s good to see you out of your room.” Thectelo said. “What’s on your mind?”

“I’ve been thinking.” Auroja wasn’t sure exactly how to say this. She probably should have thought that through before she started this conversation. But – her father was nothing if not direct so she should just go and say it. “I’ve decided I’m going to leave the Jedi Order.” Her father was taken aback. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing!

“Does that mean you…” He started but she shook her head.

“I’m not going to be Sith, either. I’m just going to be…me. Whatever that is.” She said with a shrug.

“What will you do?” He asked, wondering how far this train of thought had gone. Had she really thought this through? He hoped so. She had locked herself away for weeks.

“I’m going to kill the Emperor. His evil is too much for the galaxy or possibly even the universe to bear. He threatens all life everywhere. After that…” She took a deep breath. “I want to help people. I want to stop killing. If possible, I want to help end this war but I don’t see how that’s possible. The Jedi and Republic wouldn’t trust another peace treaty and I don’t think I can blame them. If another one was made, the Empire very likely wouldn’t honor it. This war can end at any time but no one wants to end it first.” She shook her head with disappointment. “When I was on Rishi, Master Orgus Din had me go around helping the locals. I cured the sick, fixed the monsoon baffles, and cleared rubble. I felt…whole. At peace. Like - that was where I belonged. Fighting after that felt empty and pointless. Am…I making any sense?” She asked when she saw the blank look on her father’s face.

“No.” He said bluntly. He wasn’t trying to be rude but he genuinely didn’t seem to get it. “Such small tasks are beneath me and they are beneath you. We have doctors for the sick, mechanics to fix broken equipment, and scrap hauler droids for cleanup. Why should I or you do any of those things? And you didn’t do it for the Republic so what did you gain?”

“They don’t have doctors, mechanics, or scrap hauler droids on Rishi.” She pointed out. “I didn’t gain anything from doing it. I just…wanted to do it. It made me content.”

“That sounds like you’d be a Jedi.” He was clearly still confused.

“I’ve – “ She hesitated. “I’ve done many things that weren’t very Jedi-like the Order doesn’t know about.” Her father raised an eyebrow, intrigued. “I’ve always struggled with my emotions. I’ve fallen in love, I’ve felt deep hatred, sadness, and elation. I don’t want to give any of those things up.”

“Then – you’re a Sith?” He asked but she shook her head.

“No. Peace isn’t a lie. It does exist. But emotion also exists so I can’t be a Jedi. I just want to follow my conscience instead of someone else’s creed.”

“I don’t understand it but if that is what you want to do then you have my full support.” He said encouragingly. Auroja smiled.

“Oh good. I was worried I was going to have to fight you if you didn’t approve.” Her father raised his hands defensively.

“I yield. Your chains have been broken.” He swelled with pride like nothing he had ever felt before and it shown on his face. In his mind, she still followed the Sith Code. Nothing in it said you had to kill or only feel rage. That was just how the Sith chose to rebel against the Jedi’s unnatural ways. If helping others made her happy then she was just as much Sith as himself or Freasca.

“I realize this is something you must do without me, but I couldn’t let you go without at least wishing you luck.” Lana said as Thectelo, Scourge, Kira, and Auroja entered the shuttle bay. “The way this is unfolding…I’m completely disheartened. I never dreamed we’d face Valkorian again, and now you must do so without my help. I hope you know that if I could I would be by your side for this.”

“I won’t hold it against you. There is just too much uncertainty this time.” Thectelo reassured her.

“I don’t doubt it. Just stay safe.” Lana said.

“Good, you’re still here.” Theron said as he walked over to the group. “I was hoping to catch you before you took off.”

“What is it, Theron?” Thec asked.

“I hope there is room for one more on that shuttle, because I’m going with you.” Theron insisted.

“That’s not a good idea.” Thec said. “You could get infected, like Satele and her students, or worse…”

“I know it’s risky, but Satele is in trouble. I have to help.” Theron pressed. “I lost one parent. I’m not just standing by and letting the other one go. Not if there is something I can do to save her. Whatever the Emperor is doing, I can resist it. I was on Ziost… he didn’t control me then. I sure as hell won’t let him affect me now.”

“Commander…” Came Senya’s voice as she was followed by Arcann, Vaylin, Livewire, and Ice Queen.

“We need to speak with you.” Arcann said.

“Is half of the Alliance going to come with me?” Thec grumbled as the mass of people showed up. “This was supposed to be a four person job.”

“We’re coming with you.” Senya demanded. It wasn’t a request. “We helped you defeat Valkorian before, and we won’t abandon you now. Whatever this weapon is that he unleashed, I’m sure it won’t have any power over Arcann, Vaylin, and I.”

“I get to kill father a second time! I’m not going to miss that!” Vaylin said cheerfully. She was positively giddy at the idea.

“This is just as much our responsibility as it is yours.” Arcann said, much more diplomatically than his sister. “If there is the slightest chance Valkorian could return, we must do what we can to stop him.”

“Sorry to interrupt your send-off but we need to get going.” Kira said.

“We will accompany you.” Senya insisted.

“I’m going too.” Theron said.

“Oh! And me! Me too!” Livewire raised her hand and jumped up and down excitedly. Ice Queen didn’t respond.

“That’s…really not a good idea.” Kira said as she gave the strange masked woman a funny look.

“Kira is correct.” Scourge insisted. “Too many are already infected by Tenebrae’s weapon. “Bringing you is too great a risk.”

“That’s not your call to make.” Theron said sternly as he glared at the Sith Lord. “The only orders I’m following are the Commander’s.” Everyone turned to Thectelo expectantly. He analyzed the group and the possible outcomes then came to a decision.

“Senya, Arcann, Vaylin, and Theron can come with us. Livewire and Lorvishil will stay here.” He said but Livewire was clearly not happy with the decision.

“I’m going too! I want to share killing Vitiate with her!”

“I have made my decision. You will obey my orders.” Thectelo moved in close and stared her down through her mask. He normally ignored her violent antics but there was too much at stake for someone as unstable as her. He had not forgotten her actions on Nathema.

“I’ll be all right.” Vaylin forced her way between them then placed a surprisingly gentle hand on Livewire’s mask. “Stay here and wait for me. After I’ve crushed father into oblivion, I’ll come and tell you all about it. We can celebrate.” This seemed to appease Livewire and she relaxed.

“I want to hear every gruesome detail.” She said and Vaylin smiled wickedly.

“I’ll describe every vein I expose.”

“Enough talk!” Scourge interrupted impatiently. “Let us depart before we lose the droid.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tenebrae staggered back. His, Vitiate’s, and Valkorian’s eyes were drowned in red light as pure dark side energy poured from their hands and bodies. The force of his power knocked everyone to the ground. It hit them like a tsunami made of black sludge and hopelessness. It sapped their strength, weighed them down, and made them want to give up the fight. There was no point in going on. He was too powerful. He preyed upon their deepest weaknesses: shame from torturing a future wife, loneliness from abandoning a son, regret for failing to defend an Empire, fear of being helpless, and guilt for not being a Jedi. He drowned them in despair until they could hardly breathe.

Auroja fought with all her might against the oppressive weight of his power. She slowly forced herself to rise, feeling as if hundreds of pounds was pressed upon her. Tenebrae glared at her defiance and focused his power on her. She cried out in pain at the mental attack. He was beating at her mind like a huge monster pounding away at a door. He was trying to get in. Trying to take over her body and save himself.

“No! You cannot have her!” Cried Freasca in her mind. Suddenly, Auroja’s eyes were aflame with golden fire. Her body became engulfed in a pure golden light. Tenebrae’s power suddenly felt insignificant. Weightless. The inky blackness cleared and stood before her was nothing more than a frightened old man. She bent down and touched her father’s shoulder. He was lost in the black hopelessness of Tenebrae’s power. Upon her touch, Freasca gave a part of herself to him and he too glowed with a golden light. He stood and shook his head to clear the darkness and confusion. “Eat some ice cream for me.” She whispered with a contented smile then went around touching the others on the shoulder, giving part of her soul each time to banish the darkness.

One by one they rose to their feet. Tenebrae’s power retreated ever so slightly from the purity of the light that was now emanating from them.

“Everything you’ve done.” Thectelo growled, now standing tall and defiant.

“Everyone you’ve betrayed.” Vaylin said as thousands of people appeared behind her. All glowing with the same golden light as Freasca blessed each of them with parts of her soul. Tenebrae’s power retreated further.

“Everyone you’ve manipulated.” Kira said as thousands more appeared.

“Everyone you’ve murdered.” Meetra Surik said as she appeared along with millions more. All shining with golden light. Auroja’s eyes stopped glowing as Freasca gave away the last shreds of her soul. Tenebrae’s dark power shrank back like a frightened rabid animal.

“The Force seeks balance. Always.” Revan declared as he jabbed an accusing finger at Tenebrae. The golden light washed over the abominations like a tsunami of their own. Tenebrae was thrown back by the force of it, unable to hold himself against such power. The power of love, sacrifice, light, joy, and life. Everything he was not.

“No! NO!” Vitiate cried out as he could feel his power leave him as they were engulfed in light.

“The Force is mine! I command it!” Valkorian declared as he felt his body slowly dying. Without the power of the darkness to sustain his life, his age was catching up to him – and fast.

“I…am…endless!” Tenebrae screamed defiantly.

“No. In the end, you are nothing.” Auroja declared as the three dark lords screamed in agony and turned to dust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The victory party was quite the celebration with lots of ice cream. They announced the Emperor’s death once and for all across the galaxy. All of them were recognized for their heroism, both Jedi and Sith. The galaxy would witness what the two factions working together could accomplish.

“Aren’t you going to have any ice cream? There’s plenty of it and it was your idea.” Vette asked her husband as she took a bite of her own. She loaded hers with all the toppings. Thec straightened himself to his full height.

“I am a dark lord of the Sith. I do not eat ice cream.” He said sternly.

“Why? Are you SCARED you’ll like it?” Vette teased with a smile and took another bite. She made eating ice cream look rebellious. “I thought you Sith were about doing what you wanted and not letting someone else tell you what to do.” She used her spoon to point to Arcann. “Even Arcann is eating ice cream. Are you going to let him show you up like that?”

“Arcann is no longer in charge of the Eternal Empire. If he were Emperor, he would not eat ice cream, either. My enemies must fear me. They won’t fear me if they knew I eat ice cream.” Thec said, trying hard not to give in to her taunts. He knew what she was trying to do.

“Look around you, Thec. There aren’t any enemies here.” She said tenderly as she placed her hand on his cheek. He wrapped his hand around her’s then kissed it just as tenderly. He scanned the room. There was his daughter, the Jedi Knight known as Kira, Lord Scourge, Arcann, Senya, Lana, Theron, and many other familiar faces. All laughing and celebrating. But the Sith in him, the Korriban in him, refused to believe he was ever safe. There were ALWAYS enemies hiding somewhere. Vette’s sparkling eyes turned sad as if she could hear his thoughts.

“Please? For me?” She pleaded softly. And there was the trump card. He knew she was probably asking him to do something that was good for him but didn’t want to. He sighed then scanned the room again to make sure no one was watching him. He took a quick bite of ice cream and winced.

“It’s cold.” He said with his mouth full.

“Of course it’s cold, silly. It’s ICE cream. So…?” She looked at him expectantly.

“It’s…all right.” He said reluctantly and looked away from her. Vette smiled victoriously.

“You like it.”

Auroja walked over to Scourge holding a bowl of ice cream in each hand.

“I didn’t see you have any ice cream so I brought you some.” She offered and held out a bowl to him. Scourge straightened himself to his full height.

“I am a dark lord of the Sith. I do not eat ice cream.” He said sternly. Auroja shrugged.

“All right. More for me, then.” She said and got started on the first bowl.

Livewire and Vaylin didn’t join the party. They were in their room doing whatever insane people do when they celebrated.

Ice Queen was hard at work. SOMEONE had to maintain security of the Alliance while everyone else was getting drunk.

“Now that the Emperor is FINALLY gone for good, I just want to go back to the good old days. Running around, fighting bad guys, saving the day….the good stuff.” Kira said as Auroja finished her second bowl.

“I’m sorry Kira but – I don’t think we’ll be able to do that.” Auroja said with a heavy heart. She felt such sadness and guilt. There was a lot Kira didn’t know.

“What? Why?” Kira demanded. “Did something happen?”

“Kira – “ Curses, was this ever going to get any easier? She already told her father but it feels even harder the second time. “I’ve decided I don’t belong in the Jedi Order.” Kira felt as if she had just been slapped!

“WHAT? Of course you belong in the Order! Who told you you don’t belong? Was it your Sith father? Was this his idea? He turned you against us, didn’t he?!” Kira was trying to keep a handle on her emotions, she really was, but this had all come out of nowhere.

“No, my father never told me to leave the Order.” Auroja reassured her. “He had no problems with me being a Jedi. I came to this decision on my own.”

“Then…why…?” Kira pleaded as tears welled up in her eyes.

“Because I don’t and can’t follow the Jedi Code. Kira, you don’t know the things I’ve done. You don’t know how many times I’ve violated the Code.” It took all the will Auroja had not to break down. Her heart felt like it was being torn to pieces. She felt like she had been a terrible friend and teacher to Kira. She deserved better. She deserved a real Jedi teacher.

“I’m not perfect either! But you and I are still Jedi! That is where we belong!” Kira insisted. She refused to believe her teacher had come to this decision on her own. She must have been tricked somehow!

“Kira – I…” Auroja could barely get the words out. She knew once they were said, they could never be taken back. “I married Doc.” Kira felt those words like a punch to the gut.

“You….what…? When?” Her head was spinning. She could hardly keep up with all of this.

“After we killed the Emperor – the first time. It was done in secret, of course. No one knows besides him and me – and now you.” Auroja said slowly, feeling similar to a giant steaming pile of Bantha dung. “We’re no longer a couple but that hardly matters. The fact is, what I did could and should get me kicked from the Order. And the worst part is…I’d do it again. I want to have kids, have a family, a husband.”

“I saw how Doc was clinging on to you but I thought…I thought he was just being Doc…You…lied to me all that time? To ME? I was your padawan!” Kira could barely hold herself together.

“I’m so sorry, Kira. You deserve a better teacher. You deserve someone who can teach you how to be a real Jedi. Once I tell the Council, I’m sure they won’t want us seeing each other anymore.” The two of them stood there in silence for what felt like the longest moments of their life.

“Well, I guess there isn’t anything keeping me here.” Kira said finally. “With the Emperor gone, I don’t need to be around Scourge anymore. I’ll go back to Tython and…figure something out.”

“I’m sorry.” What else could she say? She had no excuse for her behavior. It had been pure selfishness, plain and simple. Kira left without another word. Auroja retreated to her room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been almost a week before anyone saw Auroja again. She made the call to the Jedi Council the day after she talked to Kira. It hadn’t been easy. She had been more forthcoming about her feelings with the Council. They themselves probably hadn’t noticed how they raised her differently than the others or how she had to try and ignore the distrusting stares from some. They denied it, of course, but she provided enough evidence they had to concede the point. She assured them she had no interest in fighting in the war. She wasn’t going to fight the Empire or Republic. She was tired of bloodshed and wanted to help others on her own terms. They said if she ever wanted to return to the light, their doors would always be open.

She wandered around the base. She was amazed at how quickly things went back to normal. The air did feel lighter without the Emperor’s crushing presence and everyone was focused on their next task. She was surprised to find Scourge was waiting on the observation deck. She thought he would have moved on and left by now.

“What you’ve helped build here is no small feat. You’ve done well for yourself.” Scourge said approvingly as she approached. “You have accomplished even more than I had hoped for.”

“I couldn’t have done it without you. Even if I hadn’t known it all this time.” Auroja said gratefully. It was strange to look back at her life and see everything in a new light. She guessed that was just part of growing up. Scourge had been right all along; she wasn’t ever really going to follow the Jedi teachings.

“I swore I would help you defeat him, and I don’t make promises lightly.” He said then seemed to hesitate a bit. Something she had never seen him do. “There is…something else I wish to speak with you about. The Emperor’s destruction had a profound effect on me – something beyond the disease his death unleashed. My immortality….is gone. For 300 years I thought I would be content to accept my end, should the time come. But my new mortality has….unforeseen effects.”

“Like what, exactly?” She asked.

“Emotions and sensations I’d long forgotten have taken hold again. I am compelled to fight for something I believe in. And…I have realized how important our old crew had become. Especially you, Auroja. I feel the need to remain by your side, and I don’t know what to make of it. But…I would do anything to keep you safe. Do you understand?” He gazed deeply into her eyes. He took in her every detail. The color of her hair, her eyes, her lips, everything. He wanted it seared into his memory so he could never forget them. She was so beautiful. He felt a fool for not having noticed it sooner.

She gazed back as she searched her feelings. She had evaluated her life a dozen times over by now but a relationship with Scourge hadn’t even crossed her mind. He had always been so closed off. She understood it was because he didn’t have emotions so she figured he wasn’t interested. He must have been doing some soul searching of his own in the past week. She couldn’t imagine what it must be like to have your whole world change so suddenly. But when it came down to it, would she want a relationship with Scourge? Even she was surprised by the answer.

“I do understand.” She said finally. “I do want to be with you but… I don’t know if we can make the relationship work out.”

“Because you are a Jedi?” He asked.

“No. I’m no longer a Jedi. I called the Council a few days ago and left the Order.” Scourge seemed far less shocked by this news than anyone else she had told so far.

“You’ve always been touched by darkness. Far more darkness than a Jedi should have.” He said simply. He wasn’t judging. It was a simple statement of fact. “If you’re no longer a Jedi then what is your concern?”

“You probably won’t want me after I tell you this but…I married Doc.” This got a proper reaction.

“WHAT?! You married that…that…strumpet?!?” Scourge’s first urge was to brutally murder the man who was in direct competition with who he wanted.

“We’re no longer together.” She said quickly before he could do anything. She wasn’t sure if he could Force Choke Doc from here but she didn’t want to risk it.

“Let me guess, he was unfaithful?” He asked after he forced himself to calm down.

“Yes.” She said sadly. “I was a fool to think I would be different.” Tears welled up in her eyes. With surprising tenderness, Scourge lifted her chin up to look into his eyes.

“He is the fool. I will not make such mistakes. Your past does not bother me.” He promised. She wiped away her tears then shook her head.

“That’s not the only thing. I want to dedicate myself to helping others in need. But not through fighting or killing. I’m done with killing. And I won’t be fighting in the war. If the Republic and Empire want to kill each other despite everything that has happened then I want no part of it.” She was unexpectedly bitter about the situation. Perhaps living in the Alliance and seeing what was possible gave her a new perspective to the war. The war used to be the only thing that mattered but now it was just meaningless bloodshed and suffering.

“Then there will be more for me to kill when your enemies come after you.” He said helpfully. “I do not understand your desire to help others. I can’t promise I’ll participate but I can swear to keep you safe while you’re doing it.”

“I think that will be good enough.” She said with a smile.

“It…may take some time for me to process what I’m feeling.” Scourge admitted. “These thoughts are still so new. But if you can be patient, I want to show you how much you mean to me.” He gently took her hands in his.

“I also have some feelings to work out. Breaking up with Doc happened recently. I don’t think I’m ready to jump into another relationship yet. We can take it slow.”

“I have waited 300 years for you. I can wait a little longer.” He said as he stroked her cheek with his thumb.

Legacy of the Sith

((This is a non-canon side story. Since it’s non-canon there will be no holding back information. No fear of repercussions.))

Thectelo entered the prison that held the infamous Darth Malgus. It had been a few days since his capture. He wondered if the gravity of his situation was starting to sink in yet.

“Greetings, my lord.” Darth Eldrid said with a bow when he saw the Commander. “Is there something I can do to assist you?”

“It seems you’ve done an excellent job restraining Malgus. Quite impressive.” He complemented. “But I have a question about this device.”

“Ask away, my lord.” Darth Eldrid prompted.

“You said it runs on the power of the dark side. Does that mean you wouldn’t be able to use this device to contain a Jedi?” He asked as he studied the machine’s design, not only visually but through the Force. The shield prevented the use of the Force. He wouldn’t be able to use mind tricks or lift objects to hurl at them. He could draw on the power of the Force but he wouldn’t be able to use it outside of his containment.

“That is correct. We have other tools to contain the cursed Jedi.” Edrid said.

“Wouldn’t it be better to have a prison for both light and dark Force users?” Thec asked. “It seems kind of limited, doesn’t it?”

“The best tools perform only a single task but they perform that task to perfection.” Eldrid explained. “When dealing with the Force, it’s far more effective to cater the prison to the one being imprisoned.”

“I see your point. Very good.” Thec nodded approvingly. “I wish to speak with Malgus. Alone.” Darth Eldrid bowed and took his leave. Thec then turned his attention to Malgus.

“Whatever information you came for, I will tell you nothing.” Malgus growled defiantly.

“I didn’t come for information, I came for understanding.” Thec responded. “Back on Ilum, we agreed we saw the Empire’s weakness and wanted to change it.” Malgus leaned back and relaxed somewhat.

“I remember. They have made some changes but the Empire is not changing fast enough to save itself.”

“Why have you not joined the Alliance? Sith and Jedi, Republic and Imperial, and everyone in between is welcome and works together. Isn’t that what you were hoping to achieve?” Thec asked.

“You do not understand my vision.” Malgus shook his head. “Your Alliance is an abomination. The Jedi should be eradicated, not embraced. And I refuse to serve under anyone else. I will escape this prison and my chains will be broken once again.” Thec waved a hand dismissively.

“Breaking your chains is overrated and unproductive.” Malgus glared hatefully at the former Emperor’s Wrath. The one who had been chained to the Emperor but still managed to defeat him in battle. “If you haven’t broken your chains by now then you’re trying too hard. It’s easy to break one’s chains.”

“Sith strive their entire lives to break their chains and fail. Yet you claim it’s so simple.” Malgus growled. “You, who were proudly enslaved to the Emperor.”

“If one wants to break their chains, all they have to do is become a hermit and live in the middle of nowhere. You could have left the Empire at any time, found some remote planet, and settled down. No government and no one to tell you what to do. Your chains would have been broken. It’s the same for any smuggler, pirate, gang leader, or expert thief. They aren’t beholden to laws and live how they please. Their chains are also broken. It’s not so difficult.” Malgus clearly didn’t appreciate the Sith beliefs being compared to common thieves and pirates. He lunged forward, wanting to strangle the life out of the Commander but the more he called on the dark side to end his life, the more the chair punished him and pulled him down. Finally, he was pulled back into a sitting position.

“As for the Jedi…” Thec continued as if nothing had happened. “They have defeated us twice. Despite all our bravado, we were nearly wiped out by them. They must be doing something right or we must be doing something very wrong.”

“As I said, the Sith in-fighting and prejudice towards aliens is why we haven’t won.” Malgus said with his emotions now under more strict control. “If all of the Empire were focused on one task and one task alone then we would be unstoppable.”

“That is quite possible.” Thec agreed. “But that will never happen with those who follow the dark side as fervently as the Sith. It’s not in their nature. Even if they got over their distrust and hatred of aliens, you’ll never stop Sith from vying for power. It’s an inherent flaw in the Sith way. Ironically, they themselves keep the Sith from ruling the galaxy.”

“You speak as if you are not one of us.” Malgus’s eyes narrowed suspiciously.

“I’m not. I broke those chains in my earliest days as an apprentice to Darth Baras. I was tasked with infiltrating and exposing the leader of the Revanites on Dromund Kaas. After learning their teachings, I saw the wisdom in it and joined their ranks. I am a Revanite. I strive to learn and use both light and dark sides of the Force.” Malgus lunged at Thec again.

“Traitor!” He cried. “You would dare learn their hypocrisy and walk around as if you are Sith!?” Finally, his stamina gave out and he was pulled back into a sitting position again, breathing heavily.

“I faced death on a near daily basis against Sith Lords and Jedi Knights. I do not fear them and I WILL NOT fear something as harmless as knowledge.” Thec said coldly. “My ties to the light side made me all the more effective in serving my Empire. You would have killed Master Gnost-Dural whereas I took him prisoner, as I have so many others. My rise in ranks was carved with loyalty, honor, and sacrifice. I had no thought of killing Darth Baras for his position. That wouldn’t have served the Empire. But Baras was actively undermining the war efforts for his own greed; to serve the dark side. He was behaving like a proper Sith. I wasn’t, and yet I served the Empire far more effectively.”

“True power lies only in the dark side. The Jedi ways chain those who use it and are based in hypocrisy. There is no benefit to learning them.” Malgus was glaring daggers at Thec.

“You weren’t there when we fought Valkorian.” Thec pointed out. “The Emperor, the strongest of us, the one who wanted to devour the entire galaxy for his own greed – could use the light side of the Force.” Malgus’s eyes widened with shock.

“You lie!” He bellowed, but Thec shook his head.

“No. The Zakuul Knights which were able to take over the Empire in only a matter of three months? They also used both light and dark sides of the Force. Neither the Sith nor the Jedi could stand against their might. When I fought Valkorian, he used both light and dark sides against me. I countered with the same and was able to defeat him. I learned how to harness the light side from a Jedi Master. A real one. Not like the others who claim to be masters of the light side but are filled with hate and bloodlust. He and I are good friends.” Malgus was clearly disgusted and furious by his words. Thec stood there silently for a minute to give Malgus time to absorb what he had said before continuing.

“I formed the Alliance for one purpose: to kill Vitiate. So you could say, I had an empire focused on only one task. None who wanted to achieve that goal were turned away. It didn’t matter if they were Jedi, criminals, or janitors. If you wanted to help then you were more than welcome. Without that flexibility, we would have failed and the entire galaxy would be doomed. Someone who embodied the very essence of the light side dealt the final blow against the Emperor, not a Sith.” Malgus was having a hard time keeping up with all this new information. No one had ever mentioned the Emperor using the light side! With the blasted shield, he couldn’t sense the Commander’s feelings to know if he was telling the truth. He missed the entire Zakuulan war and did not get to meet one of the knights in person. Perhaps one day he would know the true answer.

“Consider this…” Thec continued. “You claim your chains were broken but you are a slave to the Sith teachings. Just as you are a slave to that chair. That prison relies on you drawing on the dark side to try and escape. I would be able to get out of it easily because my chains have truly been broken. I didn’t allow fear of knowledge to hold me back.” With nothing left to say, Thec left Malgus alone to ponder his words. It’s not like he had anything better to do.

Auroja walked into the prison and politely dismissed Darth Eldrid. Darth Malgus glared at the Battle Master hatefully from inside his cell.

“I was told I should speak with you, though he didn’t say why.” Auroja said casually.

“Perhaps he thought you could learn something from me.” Malgus boasted as he relaxed in his chair. Auroja smirked.

“It’s more likely he thought you could learn something from me.” Malgus scoffed.

“I have nothing to learn from you, Jedi. I have no interest in learning weak-minded and hypocritical ways. Your ways chain your users into servitude.” Auroja glared at Malgus and crossed her arms.

“That’s funny coming from a people who lost twice to those weak-minded ideals.” She retorted sarcastically. “And there isn’t anything wrong with serving others. “

“Serving others weakens the strong and strengthens the weak. This is unnatural and weakens everyone as whole. The weak should serve the strong.” Auroja waved a hand dismissively.

“I’ve never had any problems killing Sith, including your Emperor.”

“You are steeped in darkness compared to most Jedi.” Malgus countered. “The dark side has blessed you with its power. If you learned the ways of the Sith, you could be one of the most powerful of us.” Auroja shook her head.

“And yet the most powerful of you was killed by the purist light side energy. I only got to feel it for a few moments but it was wonderful. Just being alive filled me with such joy. In that moment I didn’t hate anyone, even Vitiate. I felt a kind of love for all living beings despite what atrocities he had committed. He became nothing more than a frightened old man to me. Someone who was so terrified of death he was willing to kill an entire galaxy to prevent it.” Even though he wore a mask, Auroja could tell Malgus was smiling.

“If you felt such joy in living, then you should want to live as long as possible. This is something most Sith strive for. Even Jedi extend their own natural lives using the Force. And you should never take it from others.” Auroja pondered this for a moment.

“You’re right. Jedi were never meant to take lives. Killing is a dark side act, even in self-defense. The Emperor’s evil threatened the entire galaxy. His death was necessary for the safety of trillions. But Jedi were never meant to fight in wars. Even if the Jedi wanted to stop fighting, I don’t know if the Republic would allow it.” Malgus was still smiling. Auroja assumed he felt he must have her cornered somehow.

“You Jedi are foolish for allowing yourselves to be controlled by non-Force users. You’re seen as nothing more than attack rancors to be unleashed upon their enemies. They have no concern for your Jedi ways of peace. And if Jedi were true to their own teachings, BATTLE MASTER, then they would all be wiped out by Sith.” Auroja narrowed her eyes slightly.

“What do you mean?” Malgus’s smile widened.

“You yourself said killing is a dark side act. Sith have no problem killing Jedi. If you refuse to kill Sith then they will just keep coming back to destroy you. Eventually, there will be none of you left. So, your choices are to be destroyed or invite darkness into your heart which leaves you open to become Sith. Either way, you lose.” Auroja shook her head.

“I’ve heard stories of Jedi and Sith fighting for days without stopping. When the Sith realized they were outmatched, they yielded and became Jedi. You yourself are in a prison. You’re contained and there are other prisons containing Sith Lords.” She smiled wickedly. “Or I could cut off your arms and legs. That would slow you down for a little while.”

“That hardly sounds like the actions of a proper Jedi.” He chided mockingly.

“Then I guess it’s a good thing I’m no longer Jedi.” Auroja winced. Stupid! She hadn’t meant to tell him. She knew it would only confirm his beliefs. For a long time, Malgus didn’t respond. He studied her closely. Jedi were known for telling half-truths and even blatantly lie but this…no, this was too serious to lie about. No Jedi would claim to have left the Order unless it was true.

“You? Battle Master? Slayer of the Emperor? YOU left the Order? Why?”

“That’s none of your business!” She snapped with sudden anger. This actually got a bit of a chuckle from Malgus. That wasn’t a good sign. Even his laugh sounded menacing.

“My, such fire you have. You indeed would make an excellent Sith. Did you leave the Jedi Order because you realized I’m right or did they turn you away?” She glared at him as she tried to reign in her emotions. He was just trying to goad her. She wasn’t going to give into his taunts. This was one of the many times she wished she was Master Timmns or Master Din. They would know how to handle this. Malgus wasn’t right and they would have been able to explain why.

“I left because…I was a bad Jedi and I was tired of fighting in the war.” She said finally. She knew he wasn’t going to leave it alone until he got an answer. He studied her closely for a few moments. She knew he couldn’t read her mind while behind the shield but she still felt like he was reading her somehow.

“No. There is more to it, much more.”

“Fine. Yes, there is.” She conceded impatiently. “But that’s not your concern.”

“Just like a Jedi to conceal the truth from yourself and others.” He said coldly. “I’m right about the Jedi, aren’t I? They’re hypocrites and you know it. Why would you leave otherwise? You were a decorated hero. Their savior. They’re Battle Master. They’re attack hound against the Emperor. You would not have left unless they did something unforgivable or you realized they are wrong.” Auroja glared at Malgus who seemed to be enjoying himself. He was toying with her. By admitting she had left, she gave him everything he needed to confirm his biases. He was likely going to hear about it eventually. Like he said, she was a decorated hero. News like that wouldn’t stay contained forever. Maybe it was a good thing she had been the one to say it. At least she could defend herself and the Jedi. But how?

“Trying to think of ways to make their deceit sound pleasant?” He taunted. “Trying to think of more lies?” She clenched her fist then forced herself to relax.

“As I said, I left because I was a bad Jedi and because I was tired of fighting in the war.”

“WHY were you a bad Jedi?” He persisted. Auroja hesitated. She knew any information he got out of her would only serve him and his goals. If he found out too much, he could try to use it to slander the Jedi and weaken their position.

“Not everyone is cut out to be a Jedi.” She said finally. “That’s my failing, not the Order’s. I’m still going to hold up their ideals. I want to help as many people as possible. I want to help those who have fallen through the cracks. I don’t want to fight anymore. I want to serve the light as much as possible.” Malgus scoffed.

“Then you prove my point, EX-JEDI.” He said bitingly. “You were one of their best murderers and now you leave to serve those who are too weak to handle their own problems. You’ve weakened the Jedi as a whole.” Auroja’s fist clenched but once again she forced herself to relax.

“If there is another Sith who tries to eat the galaxy then maybe I’ll come out of retirement.” She said, trying to sound confident. “Until then, there isn’t anything they can’t handle on their own.” Suddenly, Malgus grinned wickedly and a shiver ran down her spine.

“I’m sure you’re strong enough to kill Acina and take her place as Emperor.” Auroja blinked. She couldn’t believe he’d even make such a suggestion!

“Why would I ever want to do that? I have no desire for power or to be Emperor of anything.” He was still grinning and she got a sinking feeling.

Think it through, ex-Jedi. Whoever is the Emperor rules the Empire. They shape the Empire in any way they choose. If you were the Emperor, you could abolish slavery. You could make new laws to help the needy. You could stop the war.” She was stunned into silence. That…that wasn’t possible, right? Has the Jedi Order EVER thought to try and become Emperor? She recalled her time when she was trying to kill the Emperor. How careful they had to be to sneak on to Dromund Kaas. If they had been caught then they would have been dead for sure. But she was on Dromund Kaas with her father. As a diplomat of the Alliance, it would be easy enough to get an audience with Acina. No…NO! This wasn’t right! She was done with killing! Would they even accept her as Emperor? STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!! “By taking only one more life, you could save millions more.” Malgus urged softly.

Auroja ran out of the prison as quickly as she could, fear stabbing at her chest. She could hear Malgus’s laughter echoing behind her.

((I liked my non-canon Auroja talk with Malgus so much I decided to continue it. Since it could go a couple different ways, I decided to write both of them.))

((Scenario 1))

Auroja’s heart raced as she headed back to Odessen. She could end the war. She could end slavery. Millions of people wouldn’t have to suffer and die if she were Emperor. All she would have to do is kill one more person. No! No! NO! That was wrong! Killing is a dark side act! She was going to live in the light! She was going to help people! But…she WOULD be helping people if she ended slavery and the war… She would be helping a lot more people than her original plan. How would she even do it? Just walk in there and hope Acina is around? What if she’s not? What if the entire Dark Council is there? She felt as if her hands were moving on her own when she made the call.

“Greetings Emissary.” Acina said diplomatically as a tiny holo figure of her appeared. “It has been a long time since we last spoke.” Auroja inclined her head respectfully.

“Greetings Empress Acina. My father wishes me to speak with you about an important matter. Are you free? He wants me to speak with you in person.”

“This is rather short notice but I can manage it.” Acina agreed. “I’ll see you soon.” The call disconnected. Auroja turned her ship around and headed to Dromund Kaas as quickly as she could. It was done. There was no turning back now.

Auroja was escorted into the throne room by a much less self-absorbed employee than last time. She was reminded of the last time she was here. How Minister Lorman had betrayed them and now he was a slave somewhere. He might even be dead by now. If he was still alive then she was going to free him. Her footsteps echoed in the large empty room. Apparently Acina didn’t want the Dark Council to know what they talked about until she heard it first. “She is a Sith. She has killed many innocent people. She encourages slavery and the war. She’s no better than any other Sith you’ve killed.” She thought to herself.

“Welcome back to Dromund Kaas, Emissary.” Acina greeted her as she stood up from her throne and approached Auroja. Now. She had to do it now before she lost her resolve. Auroja drew her lightsaber and slashed at Acina! But there were many things Auroja still did not know about Sith culture. Like, how Sith always stood a few feet away from each other when speaking so they might have a chance to avoid sneak attacks such as this one. And like all Sith, Acina’s reflexes were sharp and she jumped backwards automatically. Her body moved her out of danger before her brain had a chance to register what was happening but it didn’t take long for her to catch up and draw her own lightsaber.

“What in the Empire’s name are you doing!?” Acina demanded furiously. Her world suddenly didn’t make any sense. She had gotten along very well with the former Commander the last time she was here. And she had been straight with the Alliance this entire time. So she hadn’t done anything to provoke an attack. “Did the Commander send you here to kill me?”

“No, he has nothing to do with this. He doesn’t even know I’m here.” Auroja explained. Acina could feel the truth in her words.

“Then why!?” She demanded.

“I’m sorry. I really am. But, I need to become Emperor.” Auroja said as she tried to push the pang of guilt from her mind. She really didn’t have anything against Acina personally. As Sith went, she seemed like one of the more pragmatic types, like Lana. She even negotiated with a Jedi despite knowing it would have been an unpopular thing to do. Acina blinked in utter bewilderment. This Jedi has gone mad!

“What in the Empire for?? You can’t just kill me and become Emperor! You’re not even Sith! No one would accept you! You’d throw the entire Empire into chaos and rebellion!” She had to try and talk some sense in this crazy Jedi! No one ever simply stepped down from being Emperor. Even if the Jedi decided to spare her life, the Dark Council was likely to execute her. Or, if the Dark Council decided to turn against the Jedi, one of them would surely take advantage of her weakness and take the position for themselves. And she knew this Jedi had killed the Emperor twice. She was no match for her. If they wound up fighting, she was dead one way or another.

“I’m going to save the galaxy! If I’m Emperor then I can end slavery and make peace with the Republic!” Auroja shouted as she lunged at Acina who deflected her attack. Oh great! The Jedi had delusions of grandeur! Leave it to a Jedi to not accept reality! Acina managed to block all of the Jedi’s attacks but it was a near thing. The Jedi was so much stronger than her. She tried to Force Push the Jedi back but she barely moved. Just as Auroja recovered from the push, Acina suddenly dropped her lightsaber then fell to her knees.

“I yield!” Acina pleaded as she raised her hands defensively. “You win! Please don’t kill me! You can have the throne! Just let me live!” Auroja eyed her suspiciously.

“Throw your lightsaber over to me.” Acina did as commanded. She threw the lightsaber and it landed at the Jedi’s feet. Auroja picked it up and holstered it.

“You’re doing the right thing.” Auroja said. She was glad she didn’t have to kill Acina for the throne. Sith usually submitted to a more powerful fighter if given the chance. At least the ones who wanted to live. She sheathed her own lightsaber as she gazed at the throne for a moment. It definitely clashed with her Jedi robes. She had promised to give them back now that she wasn’t part of the Order. She’ll have to change clothes before she addresses the Sith. She assumed they wouldn’t take too kindly to seeing a Jedi sitting in that chair. She made her way to the throne. Just as she passed Acina, the former Empress withdrew a concealed vibroknife and tried to stab Auroja! Without thinking, Auroja pushed her to the ground using the Force while at the same time activated her lightsaber again. With one swift motion, she cut Acina in half. It took Auroja a moment to realize what she had done. She stared at the corpse a few more moments before finally taking her place on the throne.

Auroja had hoped her pure Sith blood and ties to her father being the Empire’s Wrath would be enough to cement her position in the Empire. It hadn’t. The Dark Council didn’t take too kindly to a Jedi sitting on the throne, even one who claimed to be an ex-Jedi. The Dark Council, the Honor Guards, and every powerful Sith they could find on short notice overwhelmed Auroja and executed her.

((Scenario 2))

Auroja’s heart raced as she headed back to Odessen. She could end the war. She could end slavery. Millions of people wouldn’t have to suffer and die if she were Emperor. All she would have to do is kill one more person. No! No! NO! That was wrong! Killing is a dark side act! She was going to live in the light! She was going to help people! But…she WOULD be helping people if she ended slavery and the war… She would be helping a lot more people than her original plan. How would she even do it? Just walk in there and hope Acina is around? What if she’s not? What if the entire Dark Council is there? No, she needed to slow down. She needed to think. She needed to talk this out and get other opinions. She decided to call her father.

“So, how did – “ He started then paused. Even in the tiny holo, he could see the near panicked look on her face. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

“I have something very important I need to talk to everyone about. It can’t wait. I need to speak with you, Lana, Theron, Scourge, and Master Timmns if you can get ahold of him.”

“Whatever Malgus said, it’s a trick.” Thec assured her. “Whatever the problem is, we’ll talk about it and work it out. I’ll gather everyone and be ready for when you arrive. Take a deep breath and close your eyes. Center yourself. Don’t let your emotions cloud your judgement.” It was surreal to hear those words coming from a Sith, but he was right. She took a couple of minutes to center herself by closing her eyes and breathing very slowly and deliberately. She didn’t need to focus on anything else at the moment, just breathing. In and out. All she had to do in this moment was exist. She opened her eyes again when she finally felt calm. Her father nodded approvingly. “Good. I’ll see you soon.”

-

Auroja was relieved to see her father had managed to gather everyone, including Master Timmns. She felt bad for pulling him away from whatever he had been doing but she was glad he made her a priority when she needed him. Vette was also there but Vette was always at her father’s side. She had been controlling her breathing the entire ride back so she was able to think about this more calmly.

“Thank you all for coming.” She said. “I’m sorry this was such short notice but it couldn’t wait. I spoke with Malgus and he had a very interesting idea to end the war.” Everyone suddenly looked uneasy and on guard. Whatever Malgus suggested was likely NOT going to be good. “He suggested I become Emperor of the Empire.” She had barely gotten the words out when her father and Scourge objected.

“NO!” It was so strong and sudden that everyone jumped.

“What you’re suggesting is suicide!” Thec exclaimed.

“The Empire would never accept a Jedi as Emperor. You just left the Order a few days ago. You have not proven yourself to be Sith.” Scourge explained. Apparently, her father had already filled everyone in on her lack of Jedi status. Even Master Timmns didn’t seem shocked by the news. She was sure he had his own questions and concerns about that but this wasn’t the time.

“But isn’t it true whoever controls the Empire can make it in their own image?” She pressed. “If I ruled it then I could end slavery, help the needy, and create a peace treaty with the Republic.”

“That was the way with Vitiate.” Lana said. “But Vitiate had been around for hundreds of years. He made himself the Empire. He was more than just the Emperor. He was almost like a god. That’s not the same with Acina. Yes, she’s the Empress but she’s like every other Sith to them. You’ll have to ask her how many assassination attempts she has had to thwart.”

“You’re not suited to live in their world.” Master Timmns pointed out.

“I may not know you as well as Master Timmns but I think he’s right.” Theron agreed. “You grew up on Tython. You didn’t have to deal with the backstabbing, murdering, and lying.”

“You know very little about Sith and Imperial culture. You’d never survive.” Scourge said.

“Ok, ok.” Auroja said as she held up her hands placatingly. She felt very foolish right now. In many ways she still acted like a young padawan. This was exactly why she had to leave the Order. She let her ego nearly get herself and an innocent person killed. “I promise I won’t try to become Emperor. I’m sorry I brought it up.” She felt utterly deflated.

“Don’t be sorry.” Master Timmns said. “Coming to those whom opinion you trust was a very wise decision.”

“Yes, the next time you have some asinine idea like this one, I expect to hear about it.” Scourge said sternly and Auroja smiled.

“Thank you everyone.” She said gratefully and inclined her head.

“Though….” Theron said as an idea came to him. “Malgus’s idea might not be entirely terrible. I’m NOT saying Auroja should be Emperor.” He said quickly when he noticed the dirty looks from the others. “Hear me out. Even with Vitiate dead and the Empire under new management, it’s unlikely Acina or the Republic would agree to another peace treaty. They wouldn’t be able to trust her. But you, Commander, there would be a chance.” He said as he looked to Thectelo. “If you killed Acina and took her place, you’d be in a stronger position to create peace.”

“Or – “ Master Timmns chimed in. “You talk to Acina about what you would like for the Empire and see if she is willing to do it. You might be surprised.” People were always rushing to kill someone. There was always another option. “You said you wanted to end slavery in the Empire. Do you think she would accept that?”

“What motivation would she have to accept it?” Lana pointed out. “She clearly doesn’t see anything wrong with slavery or else she would have abolished it by now. It’s her Empire, why should she change it based on what we want?”

“I can show her how slavery is holding the Empire back.” Thec said. “It’s up to her on whether she sees the logic in my arguments.”

“If she does abolish slavery then that would show the Republic the Empire is changing for the better.” Theron said thoughtfully. “Though we don’t know if she wants to end the war. Even if she did, there is a lot of bad blood on both sides.”

“There’s also people on both sides who are tired of the war. Not to mention the worlds caught in the middle.” Lana said. “The fact the Alliance has survived after Vitiate’s death is proof of that.”

They debated and strategized for hours. If they were going to go forward with this plan then they had to have it air-tight. All possible obstacles and solutions had to be considered. One of the most difficult problems was what if the Republic itself didn’t want peace? Vette had a rather interesting solution to that one. After everyone was satisfied with the plan, they got to work to make the arrangements.

A few days later, Thectelo arrived on Dromund Kaas. This time, Acina had someone perfectly suited to greet him with the proper deference he deserved. She wasn’t dealing with a Jedi this time and didn’t want to upset him again.

“Welcome, Commander. It’s always heartening to see you.” Acina said with a respectful bow, which he returned. “You say your people have ideas on how to strengthen the Empire.”

“That’s correct. A way to strengthen the Empire as well as force the Republic into a peaceful resolution to the war if they do not go willingly.” Acina raised an eyebrow skeptically.

“I’m willing to listen to whatever you have to say but we both know the Republic wants to continue the war. They wanted nothing to do with hunting down the Emperor. They even tried killing their own Battle Master and hero because of their corruption.”

“Perhaps.” Thec agreed. “We have a contingency if that were to happen. First, our ideas for strengthening the Empire. We want you to make slavery illegal.” Empress Acina’s eyes widened with surprise.

“The Empire was built on the backs of slaves. We’ve been doing it for thousands of years and it has served us well. Why would I get rid of it?”

“Because our technology makes having slaves obsolete. It’s inefficient and wasteful. Droids don’t complain or work slowly. Skilled workers who want to be there will still be far more effective than any uneducated slave who despises their slavers and might cause riots or even sabotage. And consider this, those millions of slaves who are toiling in the mines or as sex slaves could be soldiers for the Empire. One of the finest soldiers I’ve met is a former Twi’lek slave. She has accomplished a lot ever since she was freed and joined the military. Now imagine the millions more who could be serving the Empire’s military might. On top of that, paid workers means more money being put into the economy. The Empire would experience a large financial boost.” Acina listened intently. He did make some excellent points and the Wrath was known for his unwavering loyalty to the Empire. Even though he was now Commander of the Alliance, none she had spoken to doubted his loyalty. If he believed getting rid of slavery would strengthen the Empire then he honestly believed it wholeheartedly.

“You do make persuasive arguments.” She said thoughtfully. “Do you have any suggestions on how to handle something this monumental? I can’t simply just say all the slaves are free.”

“Indeed.” He said. It wasn’t a promise just yet but the Empress did seem interested in the possibility. That was a good sign. “My people will send you their report after we’ve concluded our meeting. I also had another suggestion.”

“My, you and your people have been quite busy since the last time we spoke. I’m starting to feel I’ve been sleeping on the job.” Acina said lightheartedly.

“The former Emperor has many laws that require any Force sensitive person to be shipped off to Korriban. If they couldn’t make it as Sith then they should die. Those laws should be reversed.” Once again Acina was surprised but he could feel anger as well. Laws and traditions surrounding Korriban were very touchy subjects for many.

“Absolutely not!” She shot back angrily.

“Don’t discount the idea just yet, Empress. Please, let me explain.” He said diplomatically, keeping his emotions well in check. “Imagine the slaves I spoke of just now except far worse.”

“How so?” Acina asked skeptically as she pushed back her anger.

“Ninety percent of the people shipped off to Korriban die. That is thousands of loyal Imperials who are Force sensitive. Some barely feel the Force at all and some are strong but are stabbed in the back. Or, as difficult as it may be to believe, some people are too nice to want to murder others. They don’t deserve to die just because they are good people. They don’t deserve to die just because they are weak in the Force. They don’t deserve to die just because they couldn’t be Sith. We both know being Force sensitive comes with many benefits and talents, even those who are weak compared to us. Every one of them who dies on Korriban weakens us as a whole. A weak Force sensitive could have become a scientist who invents a new technology that brings glory to the Empire. Or a superior soldier who protects our people with honor. Or someone who composes music which is cherished by millions across the galaxy. Even music brings glory to the Empire. We’re throwing away our potentially best and brightest just so a few strong cutthroats can call themselves Sith.” Acina was silent for a long time. He could tell she was much more reluctant about this suggestion but she couldn’t find any flaws in his reasoning. Even someone weak in the Force was far superior to the average person. That was a lot of potential they were throwing away and loyal servants of the Empire.

“I’ll take your words under advisement.” She promised. “I’ll consider them carefully before I make a decision.”

“I would expect nothing less.” He said, keeping his voice neutral. “Such changes to the Empire should not be made in haste.”

“Was there anything else you wished to discuss?”

“Only the Republic and how to get them to sign a new peace treaty. One that we will honor this time.” He said pointedly.

-

“So, how did it go?” Vette asked anxiously once he finally got back. Everyone was waiting to hear the news.

“I think she’ll say yes to abolishing slavery. As for Korriban, I’m not entirely sure. Sith traditions are sacred but I think she sees the logic.” Thec said. “Send her the reports on everything we had planned. She’s interested in reading them. She did agree to the contingency plan. I don’t know how much support she’ll get for it with her people but it’s time we prepare. The Empire will need our help.”

-

Surprisingly, it wasn’t too long after their meeting that Empress Acina reversed the laws surrounding Korriban. Any Force sensitive who was too weak to use the Force effectively would not go to Korriban. This included slaves as well. Anyone who was found unworthy of being a Sith by failing their trials were sent home rather than being murdered. They were not allowed to be shamed for failing the trials.

None of them had anticipated the announcement stating weak Force users and failed Sith could still be trained in the Force in a more safe and stable environment, almost like a university. Just because they couldn’t be Sith didn’t mean they couldn’t hone what talents they had to serve the Empire more effectively. That had never been in the plans they discussed and Thec had to give her credit for the idea. Also, any previous initiate, even slave initiates, who died on Korriban would be remembered as having died honorably serving their Empire.

“Wow, I really wasn’t expecting that.” Vette said, genuinely impressed.

“Yeah. I wasn’t sure she’d actually go through with it.” Theron said. Sometimes Sith could surprise you in pleasant ways. That was a nice change.

“And she agreed to abolish slavery.” Master Timmns said, quite pleased. “Excellent work, everyone.” Even as a staunch Jedi Master, it was impossible not to feel joy at a time like this. The galaxy was heading toward a brighter future.

A whole year went by before Empress Acina announced to the galaxy that slavery was no longer permitted in the Empire. The Empire had secretly been preparing for the announcement in the previous months. Millions of freed slaves would need places to live and get an education. There had to be plans of action on how to control any naysayers. Everything for the transition to happen as smoothly as possible needed time to prepare and finally that time had arrived. An observant person might have noticed over that year a new law popped up here and there to make it easier for slaves to buy their freedom.

Six months after the announcement of the new law, they decided it was time to have negotiations with the Republic. Surely, that had been plenty of time for the Jedi and Republic to figure out if it was some new insane trick or not.

During the last year and half, the Empire and Alliance had tried their best not to be the first one to attack in skirmishes with the Republic. The Imperial and Alliance troops had new orders to state quite plainly they had no interest in fighting and would only defend themselves if fired upon first. The Sith had their own special orders. Any who did not follow them were executed by Vaylin and Livewire.

Also during that year and a half, the Empire’s Wrath, Vette, and Master Timmns had Acina’s permission to safely travel across Imperial territories as honored guests. Thec would introduce Vette as his wife, which resulted in a lot of awkward attempts at concealing their disgust with her and the idea that a hero of the Empire would marry such a lowly creature. They also got to speak with Master Timmns. Many of them had never seen a Jedi face to face before. They were allowed to ask him questions and debate him. He followed the many many lessons Thec had taught him over the years on how to address Imperials and it helped quite a lot. Many times the Imperial left the conversation with more understanding of Jedi and might even hate them less. They spread the seeds of tolerance wherever they went. Thec found some old allies and reconnected with them. It was even harder for them to accept he was chummy with a Jedi considering how many they saw him kill. But they did see how well the Wrath and the Jedi got along.

It was finally time to call the Republic.

The new Republic Supreme Chancellor Vitell wasn’t willing to speak face to face despite the Jedi Council being invited so they spoke on a group holo.

“Greetings Supreme Chancellor Vitell.” Acina said with a respectful bow. Per usual, the Supreme Chancellor did not reciprocate. Instead, the Supreme Chancellor crossed his arms.

“Empress Acina. Commander.” Vitell said tartly. “You claim you want to make peace with the Republic. We tried peace once, remember? It didn’t work.”

“Yes, but that was with Vitiate as Emperor. He is now dead, truly and completely. The Empire is under new management. We’ve made great strides to improve our civilization.” Acina said diplomatically.

“Yes, we heard about the new laws that have been emerging in the Empire.” Satele Shan said. “May I ask why the sudden change?”

“It was the Commander’s idea.” Acina said. “He made such good arguments for them I could hardly refuse.” This only seemed to upset Vitell.

“The Republic has wanted you to abolish slavery for hundreds of years and you finally do it just because HE asked you to???”

“As I said, the Empire is under new management.” Acina replied evenly. “The Empire has changed greatly since the war with Zakuul. We have eliminated many of our former weaknesses.”

“What kind of terms were you proposing for a new agreement?” Vitell asked suspiciously. Now it was Thec’s turn.

“To help stop the fighting between Jedi and Sith, it’s recommended they don’t speak to one another. In the event they do speak, the Jedi is to bow and only speak with respect. The Jedi is forbidden to antagonize a fight by being insulting, impolite, or making any comments about being stronger than the Sith. The Jedi is also forbidden from speaking Jedi teachings without being asked a direct question about them. The Sith is forbidden to attack first unless the Jedi violates the prior rules. Either physically, through the Force, through someone else, or ‘accidents.’ A Sith who attacks a Jedi who did not violate the prior rules will be executed by the Empire or Alliance’s Wrath. The punishment for a Jedi violating the rules will be negotiated and agreed upon at a future date.

Any currently owned worlds on both sides will be allowed to switch factions if they so choose. Any worlds not currently under the rule of the Republic or Empire will be given a choice to join either side. The ones who do not choose a side will be fair game for conquest. That will be the only place killing between the factions will be allowed. An option to remain neutral without fear of conquest can be negotiated and agreed upon by all parties. If this were to happen then the cease fire will be granted upon the planet. This would allow citizens of opposite factions to meet peacefully. Once a planet has been conquered then the cease fire will extend to that planet and everyone of the opposite faction must leave immediately.

The factions will remain in their respective territories unless on a neutral world. If someone wishes to visit another faction then they need permission from that government and supervision.

Both sides will give back their prisoners of war. All of them.

Any violations of the cease fire will be met with execution or imprisonment for life for trying to incite a war.” Thec finally finished.

“So your Sith just get to go around killing Jedi because they were RUDE?” Vitell asked angrily.

“If peace between the Republic and another race hinged on you jumping three times then doing a twirl every time you spoke, would you do it?” Thec asked as he crossed his arms. This caught the Supreme Chancellor off guard.

“Well…of course we would!” He insisted but the conviction wasn’t in his voice.

“That is what the Empire is asking you to do. Despite our peoples knowing each other for so long, the Republic still has no clue about Imperial customs. Politeness is deeply ingrained in Imperial and Sith culture. Sith are expected to be polite and submissive to those stronger than themselves. They will often bow to one another as a show of respect. Imperials are expected to be subservient to Sith. Violating code of conduct is the same as slapping them in the face. It will very quickly lead to conflict. All we’re asking the Jedi to do is act like proper Jedi. Sith will try to bring out the dark side in Jedi. That is simply their nature and why the two should avoid speaking to one another altogether.”

“And how would anyone know if a Jedi was RUDE? The Sith could simply lie.” Vitell pointed out.

“If Sith remained only on Imperial territory and Jedi remained only on Republic territory then the only time they should ever meet is on a neutral world.” Acina explained. “Obviously a world being conquered is a different matter. But a mutually agreed upon neutral world will be monitored to make sure everyone behaves.”

“No.” The Supreme Chancellor said firmly. “The Republic can’t trust another treaty to the Sith. You’ll stab us in the back the first chance you get.”

“I understand your apprehension but I strongly urge you to reconsider.” Satele said. “Vitiate is dead. The Empire has freed their slaves and even created new laws for Korriban which reduce suffering and death. I believe they are sincere.”

“It’s really in your best interest to agree to these terms. As it stands now, you would benefit greatly from them. You may not benefit as much in the future.” Acina cautioned.

“You see? Already they make threats!” Vitell accused angrily.

“This will be your last chance for peace on amiable terms.” Thec warned. “Are you sure you won’t stop the needless killing?”

“It’s not me who won’t stop killing, it’s you! You and your Sith!” Vitell snapped.

“As you wish.” Thec said then pushed a button on his console. The call disconnected. Time to activate the contingency plan Vette came up with a year and a half ago. With a few more button presses, the conference call they just had was broadcast throughout the ENTIRE galaxy. Lorvishil made sure everyone would be forced to see it no matter where they were. Once the entire call was completed, a recording of Thec replaced it.

“The Empire and Alliance has extended our hand in peace to the Republic and it has been slapped away. The Republic claims to be a peaceful people while at the same time also claim they have the right to kill Imperials with impunity. In the last two years the Empire has: killed Vitiate who was a threat to the ENTIRE galaxy WITHOUT the support of the Republic’s Supreme Chancellor, abolished slavery, eliminated laws stating Force users who do not become Sith are to die, and made every effort not to throw the lives of our and your citizens away in needless battles. The Republic seems very dedicated to killing your mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters. The Jedi who also claim to be peacekeepers are just as guilty of perpetuating the war and not following their own teachings. I urge you, go to the holo-net and share your stories of Republic and Jedi hypocrisy, corruption, and warmongering. The Sith Empire has seen its weaknesses and eliminated them. The Republic and Jedi refuse to believe they have any weaknesses. One can only overcome weakness by acknowledging its existence.”

With that, the recording was once again replaced by videos taken by Imperial troopers. Videos showing Imperial troopers very clearly stating they don’t want to fight and refuse to fire the first shot then the Republic firing the first shot. Thousands of instances of this were downloaded and free for all to view. There were also videos of Sith who recorded their entire conversation with Jedi and how easy it was for them to bring out a Jedi’s rage and attack first. Everyone knew the Jedi were supposed to remain calm at all times, even if someone tried to upset them. People were shocked at how easy a few insults from a Sith drove them to a murderous rage. It wasn’t just videos being shared. Journals of thousands of people were uploaded all at once. Not just from Sith and Imperials but even Master Timmns and Auroja uploaded their own stories. Darth Imperius also decided to partake and showed how the Jedi’s hate towards a Sith turned a nice person who was trying to help the best way she could into a heartless killer. Thectelo also had his own story uploaded. As citizens across the galaxy read the stories and watched the footage, millions more decided to join in and quickly wrote up their own.

The fallout was intense and immediate. Several worlds under Republic control demanded to be placed under the Imperial banner. Only a couple of Imperial worlds wanted to be placed under the Republic. There were riots in Republic streets demanding for peace and stop the killing. Let their loved ones come home.

Finally, the Republic relented and agreed to the terms set by their meeting. Had the Republic agreed before, they wouldn’t have lost so much territory and support.

But there was peace at last.

Thec had finally fulfilled the promise he made to his sister so many years ago. She wasn’t around to see it, even as a Force ghost. For that he was certain. But she had always known he would bring about peace to the galaxy so he could rest easy knowing he proved her right. He, Vette, and Master Timmns spent the rest of their days improving the Empire’s view of Jedi and aliens.

Master Timmns was named Grand Master for his efforts in bringing about peace between Jedi and Sith.

Auroja and Scourge had several children together. They traveled the galaxy offering aid to those in need. Without being in the war, she had finally found the peace she had been striving for since Rishi.

Vaylin and Livewire remained a happy murder couple. They were in charge of executing anyone who threatened the peace. Lorvishil remained close at hand to make sure they ONLY executed those who threatened the peace. She would have preferred the Republic’s entire annihilation but she did feel satisfaction in her role in their utter and complete shame and humiliation.

With Thec often gone on missions of peace, Lana was chosen as the new Commander. The Alliance thrived under her and Theron’s leadership. The peace between the Alliance and Empire remained strong.

Acina kept to her word and never violated the new treaty. Over the years, she came up with new ways to improve the Empire before finally passing the role on to a worthy successor.