Snakes on an arm...

SteveTheCynic

Well, just one snake, in fact, inscribed on my arm by Coralie of Lille aux Tatouages here in Lille, France.

A long-standing thing in my head led in the end to a discussion with Chloë, a tattooed waitress(1)(2) in that restaurant over there(3), and I decided to merge her suggestion into my idea, and this is the first part of the result: https://i.imgur.com/HMwTlon.jpg

It's only the first part of the project, and Chloë's suggestion concerns the snake biting its own tail, ouroboros-style, although in fact rattlesnakes aren't known for that.

It's noteworthy that ... Well, if you've ever been in a tattoo parlour, you'll be familiar with the big book of designs that's always available in the waiting area, ready for uninspired people to choose something for a new tattoo. Well, some (most?) tattooists also have what I call the "wall of honour", where they display design sketches of their personal favourites that they've done as custom work for customers. My snake is on Coralie's wall of honour.

(1) That's not nearly as dodgy as it sounds. Her most-visible tattoo runs the full length of her arm, an oriental dragon derived from a Ghibli Stiudios character.

(2) Chloë doesn't have nearly as many tattoos as Coralie does, but hey, Coralie's an actual tattooist. A tattooist without tattoos is ... a strange idea. But anyway, I felt comfortable discussing the project with Chloë *because* she has at least that arm-dragon. When she saw my snake *on* my arm, her eyes got really big, like saucers...

(3) A rather good steakhouse, if you must know, that I go to regularly.

A very interesting concept that you came up with and the original idea too! As a fellow SWTOR player who has plenty of ink though I have to say I'm surprised that your tattoo for such an "accomplished" artist has weak lines and color coming out of the lines where it shouldn't. Also, her color shading on the body of the snake is far from solid.

Here is some work from my tattoo artist who has been working for over 15 years in the industry to compare. All of this was done freehand, no tracing or prep work was required. https://imgur.com/a/dNEbJVX

A very interesting concept that you came up with and the original idea too! As a fellow SWTOR player who has plenty of ink though I have to say I'm surprised that your tattoo for such an "accomplished" artist has weak lines and color coming out of the lines where it shouldn't. Also, her color shading on the body of the snake is far from solid.

It isn't close to being finished.(1) The curved lines with almost no fill on the left side are the first part of the rest of the tail, and will be completed later, and the reason it just sort of "ends" at the top is that the snake will continue up, across one shoulder, around the neck, across the other shoulder, and then back to meet up with the tail.

It's not a small project.

(1) Coralie did that part first (rather than not-filled outlines all the way around) so that I wouldn't have both shoulders and the front and back of my chest just below the neck being in "new tattoo here, needs special care every day" all through the holiday season. And so I'd have the easily visible part basically done so I can show it off.

EDIT: and the red outside the lines is just that my skin is annoyed at having just a few minutes previously spent three hours having needles jabbed in it repeatedly.

Edited by SteveTheCynic