The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PTS UI Feedback and Bugs

NormericanEagle

I didn't see a sticky thread for feedback on UI changes, so I'm making my post here.

Inventory: The new inventory is far worse than the old one. Smaller icons are harder to distinguish between, and the gaps between items waste whatever space the change freed up. The inventory slot unlock pattern no longer makes sense and causes a full inventory to look like it has some slots left. It also looks ugly compared to the old one. Pressing i again does not close the inventory window. Pressing esc does not consistently close the inventory window. This is incredibly annoying. Please revert to the 6.0 inventory!

Activities/Groupfinder: The keybind to open this is not working, and I can't find an option to recreate the keybind in preferences. Once opened, though, it works fine. The new queue pop windows make more sense than the old ones, so that's a good change.

Character window: Visually, it looks unfinished. But it also has a lot of functionality problems currently.

1. Gear tab: Valor rank does not show up anywhere, as far as I can tell. The title selection option is not obvious and the icon no longer looks like a medal unless you hover over it. The stat display is an improvement though.

2. Combat style tab: Swapping disciplines is not consistently working, and there is no longer an option to inspect disciplines without committing to one. The ability tree is also confusing, because some of the ranks give multiple abilities while others give just one. Further, the frame around an ability that has been selected looks similar to the regular icon frames, making it hard to check your choices.

3. Outfitter tab. This is more obvious than the current outfits system on live, which is nice. But the weapons slot for outfits is not working. I would also suggest adding rotation and zoom options to this tab.

4. Companion tab. Attempting to change their outfits/weapons before level 10 gives an error message of 'You cannot modify this companion's equipment', even on companions whose equipment can be changed.

5. Loadouts tab. Why is there a cooldown on loadouts and disciplines? Also, when swapping between classes that use different weapons, it can leave a new player fighting with no weapon if they don't pay attention. Otherwise, this seems to be working properly, and is a nice feature.

6. All tabs: This window always shows up in the background, if any other UI elements are opened. This seems to be a bug.

Abilities window: Working fine, and the search feature is nice.

Conquest window: Functioning properly, but the tabs to swap between conquest and season objectives do not visually look like tabs currently.

Social points changes: Social Points codex is now outdated. Social points intro mission text is also wrong, but the mission itself seems to still work.

Skill trainers: They seem to be useless, aside from speeder piloting. I would suggest adding the Skill Mentor functionality to them and keeping them around, since there are some missions tied to them and otherwise empty areas dedicated to them.

Quickbars: The temporary ability bar has a graphical glitch when first appearing, or when coming out of a cutscene. A little glowing box appears on the left side of it. This specifically happens with Heroic Moment abilities, and possibly other things as well.

Inventory does not close when pressing I, yep I've got that issue too. I got one today where pressing the closing X wasn't working either, so I logged out and back in to solve it.

Also have an issue with tooltips disappearing, so hovering over things like my ping near the map tells me nothing, or takes away the map quick travel point names. Very inconsistent. Reloading the UI also solved it

When pressing C, it's too big so the chat window overlaps the top tabs so I can't click them.

Here are my thoughts that i originally posted somewhere else.

The char creation visuals was a nice ui sidegrade at best. but at least it wasnt the first ui change that was an mega downgrade like the new inventory and character ui is 1. it is visually uglier and clunkier and 2. it literally is making me feel unvell from looking at it i have now played maybe 15-20 minutes with looking at inventory due to trying to pick up and place all the mail my char has been sent back into storage. but i noticed it making me unwell pretty quickly (this is something that happens to me with some visual things that they make me unwell) on top of that is the inability to hide the intentory part of the new char window which is an idiotic feature to begin with. The afffect the ui visual had on me was the reason i gave up even trying to do enough testing stuff to earnt he holo log.

I didn't see a sticky thread for feedback on UI changes, so I'm making my post here.

Inventory: The new inventory is far worse than the old one. Smaller icons are harder to distinguish between, and the gaps between items waste whatever space the change freed up. The inventory slot unlock pattern no longer makes sense and causes a full inventory to look like it has some slots left. It also looks ugly compared to the old one. Pressing i again does not close the inventory window. Pressing esc does not consistently close the inventory window. This is incredibly annoying. Please revert to the 6.0 inventory!

Activities/Groupfinder: The keybind to open this is not working, and I can't find an option to recreate the keybind in preferences. Once opened, though, it works fine. The new queue pop windows make more sense than the old ones, so that's a good change.

Character window: Visually, it looks unfinished. But it also has a lot of functionality problems currently.

1. Gear tab: Valor rank does not show up anywhere, as far as I can tell. The title selection option is not obvious and the icon no longer looks like a medal unless you hover over it. The stat display is an improvement though.

2. Combat style tab: Swapping disciplines is not consistently working, and there is no longer an option to inspect disciplines without committing to one. The ability tree is also confusing, because some of the ranks give multiple abilities while others give just one. Further, the frame around an ability that has been selected looks similar to the regular icon frames, making it hard to check your choices.

3. Outfitter tab. This is more obvious than the current outfits system on live, which is nice. But the weapons slot for outfits is not working. I would also suggest adding rotation and zoom options to this tab.

4. Companion tab. Attempting to change their outfits/weapons before level 10 gives an error message of 'You cannot modify this companion's equipment', even on companions whose equipment can be changed.

5. Loadouts tab. Why is there a cooldown on loadouts and disciplines? Also, when swapping between classes that use different weapons, it can leave a new player fighting with no weapon if they don't pay attention. Otherwise, this seems to be working properly, and is a nice feature.

6. All tabs: This window always shows up in the background, if any other UI elements are opened. This seems to be a bug.

Abilities window: Working fine, and the search feature is nice.

Conquest window: Functioning properly, but the tabs to swap between conquest and season objectives do not visually look like tabs currently.

Social points changes: Social Points codex is now outdated. Social points intro mission text is also wrong, but the mission itself seems to still work.

Skill trainers: They seem to be useless, aside from speeder piloting. I would suggest adding the Skill Mentor functionality to them and keeping them around, since there are some missions tied to them and otherwise empty areas dedicated to them.

Quickbars: The temporary ability bar has a graphical glitch when first appearing, or when coming out of a cutscene. A little glowing box appears on the left side of it. This specifically happens with Heroic Moment abilities, and possibly other things as well.

They are removing social points. Not 100% sure if they are removing valor.

I think the stat display is far worse now. A character sheet should be able to tell you your character stats in one click of opening the sheet, now you need to not only use your keyboard, but hover your mouse over some tiny icon to popup another window which itself now has a scrollbar so you can scroll through the stats....this is awful UX.

I know they are removing social points. They are probably not removing valor though, as it still has the same achievements as before.

I like the new stat display because, once clicked, everything is in that one box. On the live servers, there are several different stat display panels on a dropdown menu, which is annoying. But I agree, it would be even better to just have that same stat panel set in the gear tab, instead of the meaningless 'damage, survivability, support' stats.

Honestly, I hate it.

Inventory window is visually jarring because of the contrast. The blue outline over empty black boxes is a much more jarring look than live. It makes it look like icons are missing, rather than empty slots.

The character sheet has exchanged useful information for glitzy animations that do not help me figure out my character's STATS, which is the point of the character sheet.

The section on the left with total figure of "survivability" is meaningless for most characters, especially tanks.

The global cooldown thresholds have always been a source of confusion among players who just don't understand that you need to exceed certain alacrity percentage thresholds to make certain GCDs because the GCD is rounded to tenths but the ability cooldown or activation times are rounded to hundredths. Instead of simply adding a GCD entry to the list, which would be actually useful, these meaningless numbers were added.

The pop up window to actually look at your individual stat breakdowns is worse than the previous drop down because there is a lot of information to scroll through. It's also unclear how you get that pop up window to go away.

Character sheet should indicate which named loadout you are currently utilizing. This is because many loadouts may only be slightly different from each other, especially on PTS when we are far less likely to have a full compliment of outfits and multiple sets of gear, but also because different load outs may not have any active ability changes but only passives and the toolbars may be identically set up.

I have issues when selecting, well, utilities I guess. Choices among three at certain levels? I'm not sure what you plan on calling them, since its not an ability "tree" like we had pre-3.0 and some choice levels have passives and some have actives. Choices aren't saved unless I select a different discipline first, wait a couple of seconds for the "cooldown" to finish, then switch back. Only then will my choices actually be saved.

I ought to be able to save updates to a named loadout without renaming it, so I would appreciate a third button to simply save the loadout.

I agree with this poster's feedback on a lot of points, but I wanted to highlight this one as especially problematic. Although a player's final choices are displayed in the loadout tab of the window as icons, better visual delineation of the choice within the level on the screen where you actually make the choices is just as important. I agree the white perimeter is difficult to see among the rest of the noise of the window. See, animation THERE, to highlight the choice you have clicked on, is probably more important than animating the player character when you open up the window.

Animations and graphics need to be informative, not just flashy. In my opinion, you have made it much to flashy without adding value, like emphasizing the current utility choice, or making the player's current GCD clear.

Is there an official UI feedback thread anywhere? There really needs to be one.

OUTFITTER FRUSTRATION

The Character screen has a major functional problem for me.

I'm big into cosmetics. Bioware -- 99% of the money you get from me is for decorations and cosmetic outfits.

The Outfitter is a pain in the butt. I can't zoom in or preview my outfits properly.

The Character screen is so big, with so much wasted space, I can't share the screen with my Outfitter, Inventory, and Cargo Hold open at the same time... or Outfitter, Inventory, Collections.

The combo is these three is vital -- when you're making a custom outfit from different set pieces, you need this.

They need to be side-by-side with little or no overlap so you can drag, preview, check dye colors, and so forth.

I used the global sizing to try and shrink it down. The problem is, shrinking it down small enough to share screen space makes the text way too small.

Please tighten up the Character UI significantly to be more space efficient. Useful is better than pretty.

INVENTORY FRUSTRATION

I'm also disappointed that I can't either:

* Claim one piece of an armor set.

OR

* Multi-select items to delete from inventory (drag-drop destroy).

This is still a major issue. I realize that the Shift-click and Ctrl-click options we'd normally use (IE: in Windows) to multi-select aren't available. However, you could do like another MMO... put a little icon at the top of the inventory screen that enables or disables a Checkbox mode. Let us check boxes and then drag objects (or at least click a Delete icon that has a confirmation box).

Playing "space Barbie" means I'll spend more money, so please consider this.

PETS REQUEST

I'm also disappointed that there's still no way to Favorite pets like we do with mounts. I'd be much more likely to buy pets and Legacy unlock them if I could do this.

STIMS/BOOSTS REQUEST

My biggest source of frustration and mess in my inventory comes from the Conquest reward items. Even after any cooldown period, many of them don't combine with other items that look identical. If I get a Command stim with +XX bonus, it ought to stack with identical looking Command stims with the same +XX bonus, regardless of where they came from. I end up with up to 3 stacks of identical items (at least in icon, name, stats, and tooltip) with multiple types of items, and it takes up 2 rows in my inventory. Please make these things stack better, thanks!

THINGS THAT ARE AWESOME

I love being able to search for items to narrow down my inventory.

For me this is another thing that should never have changed.

I hate it. I DO like how everything is on one screen now instead of character and inventory, but the color scheme/style is just awful, and it just makes the whole thing too big (it's going to make selling things on the GTN VERY annoying).

I don't like the new skill UI either, because there's no description of what is what, there are two unnamed columns and it just looks extremely sloppy and unfinished.

I will really miss the old UI.

1) Inventary: Not being able to close the inventar with "I" is a problem. This needs to come back

2) Stats: We need to be able to see our stats at one look, without clicking through 3 sub-sections. Just like how it was at the start of 6.0

3) Inventary: The light blue lines around the icons in the inventary are jarring to look at and create an effect that makes one actually dislike looking at them (see one of the posts above). The empty-space between the single inventary-places are a waste of space.

Or: The old inventary was good. Way better than what we have now. Return the inventary to the way it was.

3.1): Inventary & Char-screen: We need to be able to hide the inventary in the char-screen. Definitly.

3.2.): The Character Screen takes up way, way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay to much screen-space. As in absolutly to much

3.3.): Because it's waaaaaay to big the chat overlaps with the Char-Screen, meaning, to get to the tab most on the left one has to move the to big Char-Screen

4) The Outfiter: Outfits are automaticly switched once you klick on one outfit. This means that, if we want to have a look at different outfit, it will be shown in game immediatly. Some people might have outfits they only use for special associations or don't want to show around to everybody. So please do not auto-wear a selected outfit ingame, have us manually click to actually wear it. Just like it was

5) Char preview: Zooming in to preview your cloths lets you only zoom in on a static axis towards the belt-area. If you want to zoom in on your boots you can't do that, as you cannot move the char in the preview-window

6) Making a new Character (Zoom): The zoom range needs to be adjusted. We need to be able to zoom in further. I had to stand up an get my nose as close as 10 cm to the screen to properly see the eye-colour.

And the different zoom-levels do not yet work properly. It's to cluncky

7) Making a new Character: The icons for what we have selected (faction, Original Story, class) are missing. They need to return, or at last something to inform us of our selection needs to return. Selection of a chars looks takes time and having to go back a step to view what it was you selected for class, or to confirm that yes, you really clicked the correct class, is annoying as hell

8) Making a new Character: Weapons are not shown correctly for the first (auto-)selected class of each origin-story

Edited by Gamemaron

From inventory, either the stand-alone panel or the one integrated with character, it seems that compare isn't working unless you swap an item. Example: Pick up new gear. Hover over does not bring up the comparison. RClick to swap gear and suddenly compare works again. Close inventory, re-open, and the same behavior again.

• 3 weeks later...

Best option I found in the search bar was for this thread, so reupping it.

• The icon for activating character titles is not very clear at all what it is/where it is/what it does until you actually click on it and you wouldn't know to click on it unless you actually did.
  • In the abilities menu, having the search bar first seems a bit weird? I feel like it should be on the right and the drop down menu on the left. Also, it's not clear that that *is* a search bar. Maybe some fade out text "Search.." to help make that clear?
  • Preview menu no longer lets you scroll your character down. Can't zoom in on a head piece as you can't move the character? Maybe something unintuitive that I'm missing.
  • Tool tips are faded out on the minimap when you hover over an ability. Didn't see any issue with the interface editor for that.
  • Companion tab of the Character Menu, the circle in the bottom left that shows their influence doesn't advance correctly. It's always just 1234334/6000 or whatever and the heart/circle doesn't update. I assume it's supposed to? Probably WIP.
  • I'm not sure if it's intended, but I do sort of miss the 'depth' in the old UI in the backgrounds of the menu. Like, if you compare the Collections menu on PTS with the Abilities menu on PTS, the Abilities menu is just all one background colour while the Collections menu has a bit of detailing and depth to it with the background. Is this an accessibility standard maybe?
  • The currency tab feels like it has too much variety. I know it has the WIP on it, but the different graphics for the cartel coins seems a bit odd of a choice. Plus, the scroll bar on the page overlaps on the rows border/quantity a bit too much.

Only moved my way to Chapter 2 so far, so I'm sure there will be more as I notice.

Edited by Sefeki