Combat Style Ability Tree UI

SOULCASTER

This UI for the Combat Styles ability trees needs to be updated. It is not NEARLY distinct enough on which abilities you are selecting. I am not sure if that is because this is just the PTS, and you have it polished on the version coming to 7.0, or not. But if this is the final product this really needs to be revamped.

You could not look at this tree at a glance and know which abilities you selected. It needs to be way more distinct in my opinion. For example, when i first saw this, I thought the boxes to the far right were the selected abilities. THAT would have made it distinct. But apparently those are just passives. I would advise addressing how this looks.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/862504192438435870/921492243179769907/unknown.png

Also, if you change tabs too quickly, this happens:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/921419607988895744/921493183605637150/unknown.png

Edited by SOULCASTER

Agreed. With an existing character there are two columns with no explanation of what is what and no option that I could find to change the default ability choices (the only reason I knew about those is because of the forums). We need to be able to choose our abilities when we first log in!

That is really a problem.

I found it fairly intuitive and easy to use, but they have a point with respect to the ability tiers in which there are "PICK ONE" style choices.

For one thing, the display in monochrome (possibly placeholder) icons doesn't distinguish well from the classic full color icons. The other significant problem is that the highlight of the active choice doesn't have enough contrast to be apparent unless looking closely.

Giving the same sort of highlight border you give abilities on the quickbars when something has procced would be a significant improvement for identifying the active chosen abilities, and having some sort of grayed-out effect on the non-chosen activities would also help.

If you wanted to be really blatant about it a different color/illumination background (think highlight in a spreadsheet) for the "pick and ability" tiers wouldn't hurt either.

Beyond the difficulty of seeing what's selected, having a "default" option isn't a great idea in the first place, not when some of the abilities are active abilities that go on your bar. You pick a spec, it populates your quickbar with a whole bunch of random abilties, you take your time figuring them all out and sorting them in a way that makes sense, then you go to adjust your talents, and, hey, look at that, turns out some of the things you just spent all that time figuring out are talents that you're about to replace with something else. Default should be nothing selected, just like the current retail game, and just like the Warcraft talents this new system is attempting to copy.

Oddly enough you should just have to click the choices to change them. However, for most things you need to be in a cantina/stronghold/sanctuary to do so. Also, there seems to be some bug where you need to re-log the first time to get the thing to work. Every character I've created or when I've gotten the second combat style, I've had to relog to change anything. I've been able to change the utility choices in my current discipline on the fly in the field between fights. Now that I think of it, though, I should try to change them mid fight and see what happens.

Edit: You can in fact, change the utilities mid-combat inside a flash point.

Edited by Heavy_Time
Adding info