The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Re-Thinking the Cartel Market

MystyqeofXev

(Preface - I understand this is where EA derives a significant amount of income vis-a-vis SWTOR)

1) The first step is getting rid of the old mindset that removing items, by default, makes them more valuable. Doing so makes them rarer (because they are no longer digitally available), but not inherently more "valuable".

1a) Removing old items, much like removing quests, NPCs, et al, not only invalidates the work of those who came before, but diminishes the new player experience. As an example, I can think of two quests on Korriban that no longer trigger - the Lady who you scan for purity used to have a quest, as well as the one-eyed monster who was fed the bodies of dead acolytes.

2) Certain factions believe there is "inflation" (Not understanding the nature of inflation, but let's use the layman's definition) because things they want cost more on the GTN.

If this is the case, then there are, at least, two solutions:

2a) Allow the purchase of Cartel Coins with credits. Either temporarily, or on a permanent basis.

2b) Place items not currently in the CM on a vendor for credits. (Note - the use of 'Cartel Certificates' without a verified mechanism to obtain them, is just as short-sighted as removing "Packs" altogether.

3) In keeping with (2b), and in light of the upcoming 10th anniversary, the author would propose a "sale", wherein, all previously obtainable "packs" are available for Credit or CM purchase.

None of the above are a silver-bullet solution to the " problems " of the economy. (If there are any). However, in conjunction with the Tin / Aluminum (traditional) year of SWTOR, I propose the above as an attempt to: mend relations, remove credits, and stimulate initial (and hopefully for the future) interest in the CM.

(Preface - I understand this is where EA derives a significant amount of income vis-a-vis SWTOR)

1) The first step is getting rid of the old mindset that removing items, by default, makes them more valuable. Doing so makes them rarer (because they are no longer digitally available), but not inherently more "valuable".

1a) Removing old items, much like removing quests, NPCs, et al, not only invalidates the work of those who came before, but diminishes the new player experience. As an example, I can think of two quests on Korriban that no longer trigger - the Lady who you scan for purity used to have a quest, as well as the one-eyed monster who was fed the bodies of dead acolytes.

2) Certain factions believe there is "inflation" (Not understanding the nature of inflation, but let's use the layman's definition) because things they want cost more on the GTN.

If this is the case, then there are, at least, two solutions:

2a) Allow the purchase of Cartel Coins with credits. Either temporarily, or on a permanent basis.

2b) Place items not currently in the CM on a vendor for credits. (Note - the use of 'Cartel Certificates' without a verified mechanism to obtain them, is just as short-sighted as removing "Packs" altogether.

3) In keeping with (2b), and in light of the upcoming 10th anniversary, the author would propose a "sale", wherein, all previously obtainable "packs" are available for Credit or CM purchase.

None of the above are a silver-bullet solution to the " problems " of the economy. (If there are any). However, in conjunction with the Tin / Aluminum (traditional) year of SWTOR, I propose the above as an attempt to: mend relations, remove credits, and stimulate initial (and hopefully for the future) interest in the CM.

1A) those missions are still in game. You just need to check Exploration Missions on your map.

2b) you can easily obtain Cartel Certificates from Nightlife and as a daily login reward at the end of certain weeks.

3) im okay with them not releasing the old packs, I'd rather not gamble on what items i get. However some items are tied to a pack and they have issues untying them (the devs have stated this issue)

3/2b) i don't see a case of them ever allowing credits being used to buy CC. Bioware would lose a huge portion of their profit/income. And credit sellers would be even worse

1A) those missions are still in game. You just need to check Exploration Missions on your map.

2b) you can easily obtain Cartel Certificates from Nightlife and as a daily login reward at the end of certain weeks.

3) im okay with them not releasing the old packs, I'd rather not gamble on what items i get. However some items are tied to a pack and they have issues untying them (the devs have stated this issue)

3/2b) i don't see a case of them ever allowing credits being used to buy CC. Bioware would lose a huge portion of their profit/income. And credit sellers would be even worse

1) Exploration missions must be 'off' by default. I know I have clicked on those NPC's in the past, with no result. However, to your point, I did check my current toon,, and as I said, it was 'off'.

2) Nightlife is not 24/7/365. That event, like Gree, or Rhakghoul is for a limited time period. (And maybe once a quarter).

3) "Old packs" could be sold in the CM. Again, digital rarity is an EA construct. They are not vintage cars.

If you were one of my soldiers, I'd tell you to come back when you had solutions, not why we "can't" do something. (I have told senior commanders, "Sir, we can do anything, we just can't do everything")

Put items up for credits. If that invigorates the credit sellers, then nuke them. (Again, EA created problem)

1) Exploration missions must be 'off' by default. I know I have clicked on those NPC's in the past, with no result. However, to your point, I did check my current toon,, and as I said, it was 'off'.

2) Nightlife is not 24/7/365. That event, like Gree, or Rhakghoul is for a limited time period. (And maybe once a quarter).

3) "Old packs" could be sold in the CM. Again, digital rarity is an EA construct. They are not vintage cars.

If you were one of my soldiers, I'd tell you to come back when you had solutions, not why we "can't" do something. (I have told senior commanders, "Sir, we can do anything, we just can't do everything")

Put items up for credits. If that invigorates the credit sellers, then nuke them. (Again, EA created problem)

lol alright "Sir"

Yes it is turned off on default but those missions are not gone. See a solution

2) you said:

Cartel Certificates' without a verified mechanism to obtain them

I gave you 2 verified ways to obtain them. so again a solution. sorry if you don't like said solutions

3) never said they could not release old packs but I'd rather they just put said items up for direct buy. I think that is a better solution. However, as i stated that can be difficult (think decos) since they're coded together and they've stated it is difficult for them to undo that

they do nuke credit sellers and it is hardly an EA problem. there are credit sellers or the like for most online games. And again putting things up like CC or Cartel items for credits would only make the problem worse and again they would lose most of the income they get for this game. Do you want more content? sorry no budget. Do you want new CC items? sorry no budget and zero drive to release things they won't get money for.

So i see my solutions to your "problems" but you haven't provided a single solution yourself... So i'm very glad I'm not your soldier

Edited by CrazyScruffy