dealing with inflation - stocks vs flows in monetary theory

Carba

Putting a tax on things to drain credits without it going towards something is just robbery and will bring a horrible name to the game.

You may or may not realise this, but there is already a GTN tax of 8%. All I’m suggesting is that tax becomes a sliding scaled tax starting at 4% and going up to 20%.

The tax isn’t to go towards anything because this isn’t a real world scenario, it’s a game. The idea is to remove the excess credits from the game at the top of the scale where people can afford it the most and not the bottom. Those on the lower end would be less affected.

Adding a progressive tax on the GTN instead of a flat tax will not give the game a bad name in anyway, shape or form. BioWare already do much worse to give the game a bad name and they don’t care. At least this would have a positive affect instead of a negative one like all the other changes.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Trixxie, you do realize that if the GTN tax becomes too onerous, people will just sell on /3 ? Also, while GTN is (potentially) more convenient, there is also a cap on how much an item can sell for, iinm.

However, I do not believe there is a cap on the amount that can be traded between players.

Trixxie, you do realize that if the GTN tax becomes too onerous, people will just sell on /3 ? Also, while GTN is (potentially) more convenient, there is also a cap on how much an item can sell for, iinm.

However, I do not believe there is a cap on the amount that can be traded between players.

Which is why I suggested putting a new limit of 500 million for player to player trading. That way people can’t circumvent the GTN at the upper lvls and the tax would only need to increase above 8-10% for trades above 500 million credits.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Which is why I suggested putting a new limit of 500 million for player to player trading. That way people can’t circumvent the GTN at the upper lvls and the tax would only need to increase above 8-10% for trades above 500 million credits.

Ahhh ok. (I can still see ways around that). I still prefer my idea of credit sinks (that are BoL), but at least we're spitballin' ideas here.

Let’s look at the most popular colour dyes as an example. Red black combo dyes are probably the most popular and also have the most competition.

2 years ago they sold on average for around 60,000 to 80,000 credits. Now the average is closer to 200,000 credits and it’s been going up most significantly since the hyperinflation started around May/June this year. On some servers with less competition, it’s actually averaging closer to 300,000.

This makes me want to cry! :( Every time I check for profitable dyes to sell, there are a ton on the market and the prices are down. Last batch of red and black I made I ended up using myself because there were so many listed under 100k. Sigh. I just don't have the persistence or savvy to become a crafting/GTN mogul.

People will find a way to circumvent the GTN at the high end. They always do. Perhaps the trades will move from being "my credits for your object" to being "my Armbrace of Truth for your object". Well, some SWTOR equivalent of Guild Wars 1's Armbrace of Truth, an object whose value is more or less stable and (key point) agreed upon by the player base.

People will find a way to circumvent the GTN at the high end. They always do. Perhaps the trades will move from being "my credits for your object" to being "my Armbrace of Truth for your object". Well, some SWTOR equivalent of Guild Wars 1's Armbrace of Truth, an object whose value is more or less stable and (key point) agreed upon by the player base.

Black and Black dye will be the new currency lol

Setting a low limit for credits listed in direct Trade is a good idea. To make it more difficult to sell high price items, I think the Trade limit for credits should be something really low, like 1M (the F2P bank limit). This way, it will be way too troublesome, confusing, and risky to make, says, 100x 1M credit trades for the buyers. And if there are no buyers in the Trade market, the sellers will be forced to go back to the GTN and have to settle with the 1B price roof.

This way, even if people start to use B/B dyes as Trade currency, people still have to either buy the B/B dyes using CC or through the GTN. The former is good for Bioware/EA, the latter make sure credits are circulate through the GTN and its tax. I think it's pretty neat.

Edited by eabevella

Black and Black dye will be the new currency lol

Setting a low limit for credits listed in direct Trade is a good idea. To make it more difficult to sell high price items, I think the Trade limit for credits should be something really low, like 1M (the F2P bank limit). This way, it will be way too troublesome, confusing, and risky to make, says, 100x 1M credit trades for the buyers. And if there are no buyers in the Trade market, the sellers will be forced to go back to the GTN and have to settle with the 1B price roof.

This way, even if people start to use B/B dyes as Trade currency, people still have to either buy the B/B dyes using CC or through the GTN. The former is good for Bioware/EA, the latter make sure credits are circulate through the GTN and its tax. I think it's pretty neat.

I sold a black black dye last month for 1 billion credits. The price isn’t that stable, but I get what you mean.

A very small percentage might, but not the majority. which will be forced to use the GTN for convenience and security (less likely to get ripped off).

This makes me want to cry! :( Every time I check for profitable dyes to sell, there are a ton on the market and the prices are down. Last batch of red and black I made I ended up using myself because there were so many listed under 100k. Sigh. I just don't have the persistence or savvy to become a crafting/GTN mogul.

I sent you a PM on how I sell mine under those circumstances and make a truck load of credits ;)

Hope it helps