Confused about combat styles, loadouts

Pricia

Ok bear with me here.

What exactly is a combat style? Is it vague as "commando" or specific as "bodyguard"? For example, in order to switch my Jedi from vigilance to vengeance, would I have to pick "Juggernaut" as a combat style, or "vengenace"?

I saw posts on Reddit about people wanting their character being able to heal, tank, and dps... Would that even be possible?

And what do loadouts mean exactly? I'm guessing it's a set that includes gear and abilities that you can switch with one button?

Also, considering two combat styles... Do we HAVE to keep the current one or can we get two new ones?

Ok bear with me here.

What exactly is a combat style? Is it vague as "commando" or specific as "bodyguard"? For example, in order to switch my Jedi from vigilance to vengeance, would I have to pick "Juggernaut" as a combat style, or "vengenace"?

That's a reasonable question, and I'm inclined to say that it isn't totally clear, unless ChrisSchmidt addressed it in the interview. (It might be that when you select a style you include the discipline, or it might not. Hard to say.)

I saw posts on Reddit about people wanting their character being able to heal, tank, and dps... Would that even be possible?

If the loadout has to specify the discipline, then no, it won't be possible, since the current plan is to have only two loadout/style combinations. If the loadout specifies only a "class"-like style, and we can switch around with disciplines, then it would be possible (one heal/dps style and one tank/dps style), but would make the inclusion of gear in the loadout to be bogus for most styles.

And what do loadouts mean exactly? I'm guessing it's a set that includes gear and abilities that you can switch with one button?

Pretty much exactly that, which is what makes me think they probably specify down to what we today think of as disciplines.

Also, considering two combat styles... Do we HAVE to keep the current one or can we get two new ones?

It would seem logical to allow us to choose two new ones, but ...

Ok bear with me here.

Combat Style is another name for Advanced Class (since there won't be a "base class" anymore), so Juggernaut, Guardian, and Commando.

Yes, you will be able to add one more Combat Style option to your existing characters. So your Guardian would be able to change into a Sage and heal.

A loadout saves your: Combat Style, Discipline, Skill Tree (which will include both utilities and abilities), Gear, Outfit, and Action bars.

You can switch between loadouts with one button, with the current limit being you cannot change Combat Style inside a phase. But I personally expect more limitations to come.

You will have to keep your current one, and add another one (Edit: Apparently this is wrong, you can choose a new style when logging in). This is a permanent choice. However Force Users who wish to use their dark/light side counterpart do not have to spend their choice on that, as they'll be able to access those if they've unlocked Dark V / Light V on a character.

Edited by Eli_Porter

A Combat Style will be exactly the same as an Advanced Class. To use your example, Commando will be a Combat Style with its three discipline paths and Bodyguard will be one of those discipline paths to choose from, only that with the new class system we won't have Utilities to pick from and the talent tree will have some points where you can choose which ability you want to use.

So yes, since we will be able to pick 2 Combat Styles (i.e. Commando and Powertech), we will be able to play a character that can fulfill all three roles among the three talent trees of the Commando and three talent trees of the Powertech. And to do that you will need to use one of the two loadouts you can pick for each character. Loadouts will determine Combat Style, Talent tree, gear and outfit.

As to whether we have to keep the Combat Style (Advanced Class) that we currently have, I don't think we got a full answer to that question yet.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Ok bear with me here.

The Advanced Classes as you/we know them now are Combat Styles, ie Sith Sorcerer, Sith Assassin, Sith Juggernaut, Sith Marauder, are all Combat Styles. The Disciplines within those styles will remain the same, ie Lightning, Madness, and Corruption albeit it with whatever changes and tweaks 7.0 brings to those Disciplines.

When you log in with an existing character you will be able to change their current Combat Style. If you've completed Chapter 3 of their Class Quest you'll be able to choose a second Combat Style.

So in other words none of your existing characters are bound to their existing Combat Styles. If you've currently got a a Sith Juggernaut who has completed their class story you could give them the Sith Sorcerer and Sith Assassin styles if you wanted to do so.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

FYI

With this new separation of Origin Story and Combat Style, there are so many new possibilities to play your character’s story any way you choose. But what does this look like in-game? There a few different ways you will make this decision:

• If you are creating a new character, you will first choose your Origin Story, then your Combat Style. This offers you the choice up front, so you can start your journey with the story and play style combination that works for the type of character you want to play.

• If you create a boosted character, you will choose your Origin Story then Combat Style in a similar way to new character creation.

• If you have an existing character when Legacy of the Sith launches, when you log into the game, you will be able to choose a Combat Style immediately. You can choose a Combat Style similar to your previous Advanced Class or choose something new. The choice is yours!

• By separating story and gameplay, you’ll have access to unrivaled customization for your characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic!

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20210806

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Combat Style is another name for Advanced Class (since there won't be a "base class" anymore), so Juggernaut, Guardian, and Commando.

Erm, there still will be a base class. That determines which story you play. They just renamed the Advanced Classes to Combat Styles because in the new set up I guess it doesn't really make sense to call them ACs anymore.

But you will still have a base class.

So the following will be true based on what we know now:

You will have a base class and then you will pick 1-2 combat styles out of 2 pools either tech or force. This is also determined by your base class. So a Trooper (base class) means that you will play the Trooper story and get to pick your combat styles out of the tech range.

Then you select your Discipline, like now, once you pick a combat style and you can reset them as you can now.

There will be no more utilities to select since they are merged with the skills you pick.

---

As for the combat roles, they will be determined by the discipline and since you will be able to reset those (after choosing a loadout) you will be able to play all 3 roles with the same character. All it requires is that you choose one combat style that has a healing discipline and the other a tank discipline. There can of course be only two loadouts (at the start anyway) So you can make the loadouts to be a healer and the other as a tank and then you can respec to dps on either of them.

Erm, there still will be a base class. That determines which story you play. They just renamed the Advanced Classes to Combat Styles because in the new set up I guess it doesn't really make sense to call them ACs anymore.

It was more than just renaming, the "Jedi Knight" class literally does not exist in terms of abilities. There is still a Jedi Knight story, but Jedi Knight class is gone.

Edited by Eli_Porter

It was more than just renaming, the "Jedi Knight" class literally does not exist in terms of abilities. There is still a Jedi Knight story, but Jedi Knight class is gone.

Well during character creation there has to be a selection of the base class because of the story and because of the pool of combat styles you get access to, so it may not have specific skills anymore but I think it will only add to the confusion to say the base class is gone just because the base class skills are added to the combat style.

The more info I learn about it the more I'm like Oh no.... I actually thought that basically it was swapping weapon styles but it seems overly complicated to me. I am curious to see it once it's finished. I will still make myself a pistols Agent and Trooper maybe at some point and level them from the start to learn the system.

The more info I learn about it the more I'm like Oh no.... I actually thought that basically it was swapping weapon styles but it seems overly complicated to me. I am curious to see it once it's finished. I will still make myself a pistols Agent and Trooper maybe at some point and level them from the start to learn the system.

It doesn't seem too complicated

- Classes are being renamed "Origins"

- Advanced Classes are being renamed "Combat Styles"

- You can only use 2 Combat Styles per character

- You will be able to set Loadouts. Think Outfit tabs but for gear & skills

- You can use the Light/Dark Side styles once you've reached Light/Dark 5

That's basically the gist of it.

We just don't know all the specifics involved, for example where/when/how you pick your second Combat Style

It also doesn't help that all you're/w're seeing is text right now. Once there's a UI in place I'm sure it'll all be easier to understand, especially if you're creating a new character.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

We just don't know all the specifics involved, for example where/when/how you pick your second Combat Style

It also doesn't help that all you're/w're seeing is text right now. Once there's a UI in place I'm sure it'll all be easier to understand, especially if you're creating a new character.

We pick the second combat style after Chapter 3 I thought.

We pick the second combat style after Chapter 3 I thought.

Right, but we don't know specifically how it happens. Does the option just pop up via a menu or do you have to visit an NPC to do so? That's what I meant about us not knowing the specifics. We know a lot of the broader elements of what all is happening but not all the exact specifics and/or details.

Hi.

I'm confused about the existing characters, let's take for example a lvl 75 arsenal mercenary. Will i be able to leave her as she is now, without picking a second class or combat style or w/e will it be called?

Existing character no.2, a lvl 47 smuggler gunslinger, he had class story completed until Hoth. Will i be able to switch to arsenal mercenary combat style to complete the remaining missions?

Hi.

I'm confused about the existing characters, let's take for example a lvl 75 arsenal mercenary. Will i be able to leave her as she is now, without picking a second class or combat style or w/e will it be called?

Existing character no.2, a lvl 47 smuggler gunslinger, he had class story completed until Hoth. Will i be able to switch to arsenal mercenary combat style to complete the remaining missions?

7.0 changes the game for everyone, old and new.

Your existing characters will be forced to choose their new Combat Styles when you first log them in after 7.0 drops. If you have more than 1 tech class then all your tech characters will be able to choose any 2 styles based on those tech classes that have passed Chpt 3 in their stories, regardless of Rep or Imp side.

If you have Force users then they will be able to choose 2 styles from any post-Chpt 3 classes from their Faction and if they have already unlocked the opposing faction by achieving LS V or DS V then those choices can be from the opposing faction as long as they have passed Chpt 3 in that class.

Yeah they're renaming everything so people will be more confused lol. I guess there was still the point of the 2 combat styles being for subs, but it's unclear whether or not f2p/preferred players get to have 2 or even be able to have 2 (with an unlock or something).

And the ds/ls V requirement is for the legacy so if you already have that unlocked you can take any force combat style regardless of the character's alignment.

7.0 changes the game for everyone, old and new.

Your existing characters will be forced to choose their new Combat Styles when you first log them in after 7.0 drops. If you have more than 1 tech class then all your tech characters will be able to choose any 2 styles based on those tech classes that have passed Chpt 3 in their stories, regardless of Rep or Imp side.

If you have Force users then they will be able to choose 2 styles from any post-Chpt 3 classes from their Faction and if they have already unlocked the opposing faction by achieving LS V or DS V then those choices can be from the opposing faction as long as they have passed Chpt 3 in that class.

Thank you for explaining this :)

After 7.0 there won't be classes anymore.

They've said they can add more Combat Styles in the future. I can't imagine they'll add more Origins though.

Careful, not "can" more like "it would be more achievable" only because they wouldn't have to also deliver an origin story to go with it.

The technical challenge and associated costs of all the animations, balancing, etc of a new style remain.

Careful, not "can" more like "it would be more achievable" only because they wouldn't have to also deliver an origin story to go with it.

The technical challenge and associated costs of all the animations, balancing, etc of a new style remain.

A Techblade class could be introduced for tech-users that recycles all animations from Knights/Warriors while only having to replace the few Force-specific animations like Choke/Stasis. Doesn't really require new animations or balancing since it just be using the already existing balanced skills.

And I imagine that's how the first newly added Combat Styles will be. Variations on what already exists in the game. Not anything that has to be built from the ground up. Not that they will never have something completely different but more like I would expect to see something built from the ground up much further out.

A Techblade class could be introduced for tech-users that recycles all animations from Knights/Warriors while only having to replace the few Force-specific animations like Choke/Stasis. Doesn't really require new animations or balancing since it just be using the already existing balanced skills.

And I imagine that's how the first newly added Combat Styles will be. Variations on what already exists in the game. Not anything that has to be built from the ground up. Not that they will never have something completely different but more like I would expect to see something built from the ground up much further out.

So this would be for a non-Force user blade melee style? So they'd get vibrosword and techblade as options. But their abilities would need other tech support instead of various Force gestures e.g. using throwing charges and flares so new anims not from Jedi would be needed at least in part.

So this would be for a non-Force user blade melee style? So they'd get vibrosword and techblade as options. But their abilities would need other tech support instead of various Force gestures e.g. using throwing charges and flares so new anims not from Jedi would be needed at least in part.

There's like a single-digit number of those animations/abilities. They're few and far between. It's also possible that animations from other tech class abilities can be used in their place.