Legacy name as main nickname

Manulli_SW

I think it would be nice if it would be possible to use legacy name as the main nickname and make it possible to search peoples by legacy name. I used to play WoW and every time I created a character I went through the hell of inventing a nickname.

I don't understand what the purpose of legacy name is now.

Many players dream of being able to use one nickname for all their characters, and this feature is implemented here, but only halfimplemented, because legacy name is not displayed either in the character status frame or in the name search

I apologize for my English and thank you for reading

Edited by Manulli_SW

I think it would be nice if it would be possible to use legacy name as the main nickname and make it possible to search peoples by legacy name. I used to play WoW and every time I created a character I went through the hell of inventing a nickname.

Searching by legacy name is impossible because legacy names do not have to be unique on a server. (For ... reasons, I manage four accounts, all playing on The Leviathan, and all using the legacy name Argentis. The game has no problem with that.) Legacy names were originally required to be unique on a server, but that was removed from the game in patch 1.3.7, September 2012.

As for using the legacy name *as* a character name, well, sure, the same naming policies apply to character names as to legacy names, except for uniqueness, so nothing stops me creating a character called "Argentis". Well, except that it would be a lame name.

As for creating a name for your character, remember that SWTOR allows (but does not require) a space in your character's name, giving you much more flexibility. You aren't stuck being "Melanie", say, but can be "Melanie Roberts" or "Melanie Smith" or whatever. (Yes, before that was introduced, you could be "Melanie'roberts", but that's even more lame than a character called "Argentis".)

I don't understand what the purpose of legacy name is now.

Essentially nothing at all outside of some RP stuff. (But that's all it had for purpose when it was introduced, so ...)

Many players dream of being able to use one nickname for all their characters,

[citation needed] That's the first time I've ever heard anyone proposing such a dream.

"Manulli'shad Manulli" or "Theron Manulli Manulli" this is lame. There's nothing wrong to include something practical in RP stuff and save people from headaches "how to use 100500 kind of A character - a,ä,ā and so on, in your nickname and how will your nickname be searched later".

Anyway I don't understand why this could be a bad idea.

Edited by Manulli_SW

"Manulli'shad Manulli" or "Theron Manulli Manulli" this is lame.

So don't show your legacy name on the character.

There's nothing wrong to include something practical in RP stuff and save people from headaches "how to use 100500 kind of A character - a,ä,ā and so on in your nickname".

Let's say they make it possible to have your nameplate show *just* your legacy name, and let's say that both you and I use this feature, and that we, by blind coincidence, have the same legacy name. How do other players tell us apart in chat, since presumably it would show just the legacy name in chat?

Remember, legacy names are not unique, and in theory, all the players on a single server could have exactly the same legacy name (but different legacies).

And as for the problem of using accented letters (the worst is ì and í, by the way, since they look almost identical to each other and to i), well, that implies that you are trying to use a popular name (use overt last names - if Luuke is taken, call your character Luuke Kalys, say), or you are trying to name all your characters the same thing (avoid that, or give them different personal names and a shared last name).

Or use a theme - I used to play regularly with a guy who named all his characters beginning with "Dino" - they were all clearly him, and yet each one has a different name.

"Manulli'shad Manulli" or "Theron Manulli Manulli" this is lame.

So don't show your legacy name on the character.

I'm not suggest replacing character name by legacy name, i suggest use them both in search panel and character status frame, because in the current situation legacy name is useless.

And keep the option to disable showing the legacy name.

Edited by Manulli_SW

I'm not suggest replacing character name by legacy name, i suggest use them both in search panel and character status frame, because in the current situation legacy name is useless.

And keep the option to disable showing the legacy name.

Legacy. Names. Are. Not. Unique.

That makes "search by legacy name" a bit ... futile. And yes, it's useless, but so what? It has *always* been useless except for the amusement of the player that sets it, especially since they were made non-unique, which was nearly nine years ago.

Legacy. Names. Are. Not. Unique.

And so? I don't understand what you're trying to achieve with this debate. Not unique? I can make right now a character with the nickname Robin Williams, and you can make a character with the nickname Robin Hood, and our nicknames will only be half unique, and if I enter Robin in the search, both of our characters will appear there, but one will be Robin Williams and the other Robin Hood.

Finally it possible to make legacy names unique again, if you are so worried about it.

"One who wants to do something will find a way;

One who doesn't will find an excuse."

Edited by Manulli_SW

Making Legacy names widely visible can lead to loss of privacy. Which is a reason it is not possible to befriend an entire legacy even though it is possible to ignore an entire legacy. So, searching by a legacy name is not a benign idea.

Many players dream of being able to use one nickname for all their characters, ...
I don't know about dream but it is useful to have a common name for all characters. This is especially true for characters (and players) that are part of many Discord servers (including servers where they are not part of the associated guild and servers that are not associated with a guild). Players like that dynamically join and leave servers, Ops teams, events, activities, and will have contacts and name-recognition across the game server beyond the guilds in which they have characters. For such players, it is invaluable to have others recognize who they are in spite of the actual character they are on in-game at any time. A non-unique nickname feature will help especially if they set it to their Discord name.

Having said that, there are ways to achieve that and a number of players already use the <first name><space><last name> feature to achieve that. Examples (made up): (Note that these are character names and do not refer to legacy name at all)

• Example 1: <Unique First Name><Space><Common Last Name for all characters>
  • Example 2: <Common First Name for all characters><Space><Unique name to distinguish the character> : this actually matches the way names are used in some cultures
  • Example 3: <Common First Name for all characters><Space><A number that is spelled out, like One, Two etc>

Schemes like the above allow players to create characters (on the same legacy) that don't match the above scheme at all; such characters will not easily be identified by others as belonging to the same legacy which provides some privacy.

Making Legacy names widely visible can lead to loss of privacy. Which is a reason it is not possible to befriend an entire legacy even though it is possible to ignore an entire legacy. So, searching by a legacy name is not a benign idea.

Just keep the option to enable/disable legacy name

<first name><space><last name>

<title><space><first name><space><last name><space><legacy name>

And legacy title, and guild name.

Just keep the option to enable/disable legacy name

<title><space><first name><space><last name><space><legacy name>

And legacy title, and guild name.

Sometimes a player might want a legacy name to show on one character, but not another. I use the checkbox for that reason. I do not use the checkbox to ensure privacy / anonymity.

"Manulli'shad Manulli" or "Theron Manulli Manulli" this is lame. There's nothing wrong to include something practical in RP stuff and save people from headaches "how to use 100500 kind of A character - a,ä,ā and so on, in your nickname and how will your nickname be searched later".

The problem is you're thinking legacy name means nick name when what it actually is your Sur Name a.k.a. Your last or family name. I guess you haven't gotten to the family tree part of your legacy tab yet either.