Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

With combat styles, are weapons locked to advanced classes?

UlaVii

Hi, with combat classes, will weapons be locked to advanced classes? After the livestream and related posts I was under the impression that any tech class will be able to use the weapons of any other tech class so for example; my operative could use an assault cannon instead of my usual blaster rifle. The same goes for force users, so my assassin could be a duel saber wielder.

I mentioned this to some people today and they are adamant that the weapons will be locked to the advanced class.

Which is correct?

You're doing what a lot of people are doing: mixing up classes with advanced classes. An assassin doesn't get to use other weapons, but the inquisitor does...by choosing the appropriate AC aka combat style.

So they will be locked to the Advanced Class. So if you have a Trooper that wants to use a sniper rifle you have to choose the Sniper AC or Combat Styles as they will be called. You will effectively have what is a Sniper today doing the Trooper story, including skill set, utilities, medium armor etc.

Edited by Tsillah

Hi, with combat classes, will weapons be locked to advanced classes? After the livestream and related posts I was under the impression that any tech class will be able to use the weapons of any other tech class so for example; my operative could use an assault cannon instead of my usual blaster rifle. The same goes for force users, so my assassin could be a duel saber wielder.

I mentioned this to some people today and they are adamant that the weapons will be locked to the advanced class.

Which is correct?

I don't know if it is crystal clear yet but as best I can tell your friends are correct. A character's weapon choices will likely be restricted based on the combat style (advanced class) that is selected, same as it works now. So an Imperial Agent base class will likely only be able to use an assault cannon by selecting Commando for its combat style. A Sith Inquisitor would only be able to use two lightsabers by selecting Marauder (or Sentinel if light side aligned) as its combat style.

You're doing what a lot of people are doing: mixing up classes with advanced classes. An assassin doesn't get to use other weapons, but the inquisitor does...by choosing the appropriate AC aka combat style.

So they will be locked to the Advanced Class. So if you have a Trooper that wants to use a sniper rifle you have to choose the Sniper AC or Combat Styles as they will be called. You will effectively have what is a Sniper today doing the Trooper story, including skill set, utilities, medium armor etc.

fair nuff but they still should make more options open with weapon types

fair nuff but they still should make more options open with weapon types

I'm just saying what it is going to be. I would've preferred something different as well where they made more weapons available to existing classes.

But as the song goes "you can't always get what you want" and that's certainly true for SWTOR.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.