The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Trooper - how to tank

brunen

Hello,

Since I first read about the trooper I've been into the idea of having one as a tank. But I have a question about how they tank - do they run in and hit things or do they tank from range?

I ask because I'm not really enjoying the BH tanking, I find the flame weapons very unresponsive and give little feedback which, as a tank, is something I want.

Thanks

Vanguard PVE Tanking

Below is an outline of skills used to gain or maintain threat/attention of enemies. Also below is brief list of the Vanguards Damage Mitigation skills.

How they "Tank"

-Neutral Charge(A ranged taunt that deal no damage but causes the target to attack you. PVP this ability also reduces the amount of damage that the taunted target does to other players.)

-Ion Charge (Increases the amount of threat you do through your attacks. The proc'ed the effects include a DOT and an ammo replenishment increase)

-Sonic Round (AOE Ranged taunt that causes all targets in the area to attack you. Also reduces the amount of damage that those taunted targets do to other players in PVP)

-Stockstrike (Moderate damage melee attack that generates high threat)

-Ion Pulse (10m electro charged blast that generates moderate threat and is highly spammable although no ammo efficient to do so.)

-Harpoon (You launch a harpoon that pull a target within 30meters and brings it directly to you. Also generates high threat. I believe the Shield Tech or Tactics Tree also has an upgrade where this ability stuns the target for 3 seconds.)

-Storm (You charge to a target within 20-30meters stunning them for 3 seconds generating high threat)

-Fire Pulse (An AoE damge attack that generates moderate threat and deals a base damage)

-Sticky Grenade (More or less likely your opening attack for groups of mobs. You throw a grenade that does a base damage to a small area generating a moderate amount of threat)

-High Impact Bolt (A skill that can only be used when a target is "vulnerable" dealing a high amount of damage/threat)

Damage Mitigation(Shield Tech Tree)

-Increases your shield chance and absorption percentage (As a Vanguard you have the ability to carry a Shield Generator or Energy Generator. Shields have a basic 20% chance to absorb 20% of the incoming damage done to you.

-Guard (A "stance" that allows you to mitigate 50% of the damage done to another player and transfer it to you. This damage also has a chance to trigger your Shield/Absorption procs)

-Reactive Shield (A click ability that creates a shield that absorbs 25% of the incoming damage to you. I believe the damage is reduced 25% even before your Shield Generator has a chance to proc and absorb any to begin with.)

I ask because I'm not really enjoying the BH tanking, I find the flame weapons very unresponsive and give little feedback which, as a tank, is something I want.

In terms of game mechanics, the Vanguard and the Powertech are not just similar but identical. The only differences are the ability names and animations. Instead of a flamethrower we get a lightning cone, etc. If you're not enjoying your BH you should probably try a Juggernaut(Guardian) or Assassin(Shadow) instead.