The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Another vote for playable Kel Dor.

JuneRuairi

I would like to see more playable races from the more recognizable species in Star Wars. Kel Dor especially, since I've always preferred to play them in games that permit it.

The arguments against many of the popular suggestions for races, like the Voss and Wookies, don't work for Kel Dor. They demonstrably can speak Basic, they can wear humanoid clothes, and they don't cause any story conflicts, less than the Cathar even.

The only issue is romance scenes, which can be easily solved by fading to black before they kiss.

So to sum up, please add Kel Dor! I would be more than happy to pay for them.

Many of the cutscenes that have a kiss option also include dialog after the kiss and before the fade to black, as well as the fact many (most) of the kissing scenes don't have a fade to black at all. Doesn't work I'm afraid.

Only way for it to work is to disable all the romances completely, which would likely be a LOT of work, with lots of bugs and lots of people whining that they didn't know romances would be disabled.

Don't see it happening.

But for the people who want to play Kel Dor, the mask thing wouldn't be a problem. I've seen weirder things in game than someone kissing a mask. And if people don't want that, they can play one of the other species...

That's not how human beings work I'm afraid.

Inevitably we'd have people coming here to the forums screaming that it's broken and they want their money back because it ruins their immersion. I seriously doubt BW will open that can of worms

I mean, the main reason Kel Dor, if included, would constantly have their masks on isn't a lore reason. It's that they likely wouldn't want to have the mask be a seperate model from their face, since they wouldn't be equipment.

Actually, it is. The danger to Kel Dor of exposure to an oxygen rich atmosphere was even noted during the Republic story on Ossus.

Due to Dorin having a unique atmosphere composed of helium and a gas unique to their world, the Kel Dors were forced to wear an antiox breath mask and protective goggles whenever in atmospheres of a different composition. This equipment protected them from carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and oxygen, which were fatal to a Kel Dor. The breathing mask also helped to amplify the Kel Dor's voice, as they were forced to shout to produce any sound when out of their native atmosphere. Without their protective goggles, Kel Dors were considered effectively blind when away from Dorin.

Oh no, I know there is a lore reason they don't take their masks off, but I was just saying that even if there wasn't, they still wouldn't. It doesn't matter whether or not they can take them off long enough to kiss, because that would mean they'd have to account for that in cutscenes. So, mask stays on for both lore and convenience reasons. Edited by JuneRuairi

I mean, the main reason Kel Dor, if included, would constantly have their masks on isn't a lore reason. It's that they likely wouldn't want to have the mask be a seperate model from their face, since they wouldn't be equipment.

The weakness in that argument is that Miraluka masks *aren't* equipment, but *are* separate models from the face. Equip certain "low coverage" helmets (example: the ones you get in the default armour for start-at-60 or start-at-70 characters(1)), and you'll see that your chosen mask is replaced even though it doesn't need to be for a lightweight headset.

The same would apply for Kel Dor masks, above all as the playerbase would surely want us to be able to customise the appearance of the mask.

(1) Someone asked about it, so I tried it out on my free token I have lying around, and yes, it works like that.

The weakness in that argument is that Miraluka masks *aren't* equipment, but *are* separate models from the face. Equip certain "low coverage" helmets (example: the ones you get in the default armour for start-at-60 or start-at-70 characters(1)), and you'll see that your chosen mask is replaced even though it doesn't need to be for a lightweight headset.

The same would apply for Kel Dor masks, above all as the playerbase would surely want us to be able to customise the appearance of the mask.

(1) Someone asked about it, so I tried it out on my free token I have lying around, and yes, it works like that.

I think, if added, which I do not think that they will be, that Kel Dor would be treated more like Togruta and Miraluka. Like a Togruta's jewelry, which ever mask and eye pieces one chooses would not be affected by head gear, and all head gear would be hidden.

I think, if added, which I do not think that they will be, that Kel Dor would be treated more like Togruta and Miraluka. Like a Togruta's jewelry, which ever mask and eye pieces one chooses would not be affected by head gear, and all head gear would be hidden.

I agree with this - most helmets are clearly the wrong shape for Kel Dor(1), and the one that "obviously" could be visible on Togruta (the Rascal's Toothpick, which is what its name implies) wouldn't be usable on a Kel Dor.

Your reference to Miraluka is wrong, though - the player's selected mask *can* disappear with certain helmets(2), but it's replaced by a "small" mask that won't poke through "tight" helmets.

(1) Probably most hoods as well, so they'd be a hides-hood species, like Toggies and Twi'leks.

(2) As noted above, the one that I know for sure does this is the default start-at-60 gear's headset-with-boom-mike helmet, which is very weird, since there's nothing for your mask to poke through.

I agree with this - most helmets are clearly the wrong shape for Kel Dor(1), and the one that "obviously" could be visible on Togruta (the Rascal's Toothpick, which is what its name implies) wouldn't be usable on a Kel Dor.

Your reference to Miraluka is wrong, though - the player's selected mask *can* disappear with certain helmets(2), but it's replaced by a "small" mask that won't poke through "tight" helmets.

(1) Probably most hoods as well, so they'd be a hides-hood species, like Toggies and Twi'leks.

(2) As noted above, the one that I know for sure does this is the default start-at-60 gear's headset-with-boom-mike helmet, which is very weird, since there's nothing for your mask to poke through.

That was supposed to say "treated more like Togruta than Miraluka." I am away of how Miraluka masks work and it is even possible to see the small mask, which is just mask 1 on the slider, under other masks when viewed from certain angles.

• 2 weeks later...
Kel Dor is a good choice, but I'm just soooo tired of getting latest new species with helmet restrictions again and again. Would much rather have more Near-Human playable species options like Zeltrons (especially), Pantorans, Keshiri, etc.

Kinda agree with this. Not to mention that not only would Kel-Dor be helmet-restricted, but they would be unable to wear any hand gear as well considering their hands are shaped differently than human's (and our PCs for that matter, which would require more work) as they only have 4 fingers.

I'd honestly like a Near-Human species next, with my most wanted being Echani and Zeltron (which should be relatively easy to add as they're basically recolored humans). Kiffar and Tholothian could be nice too, but the later would probably be helmet-restricted as well.

And for less human looking, i'd pick Nikto over Kel-Dor, at least they seem to fit all the PC requirements, unlike Kel-Dor. They may be helmet restricted as well though (i guess it would depend on how the horns would work, as Zabraks can wear helmets and hoods, but they loose their horns when wearing hoods.

I personally have no problem with Kel Dor's at all. In fact, I was already voting for them the first time when new species were still in discussion. If BW decides to give us Kel Dor's than it has to be the NPC version of them, meaning we as players have to get the chance to look exactly as the existing ones in the game.

If they re-model them like they did with Nautolans, Cathars or male Togrutas then I am definitely against Kel Dor's because this would ruin the whole model.

I personally have no problem with Kel Dor's at all. In fact, I was already voting for them the first time when new species were still in discussion. If BW decides to give us Kel Dor's than it has to be the NPC version of them, meaning we as players have to get the chance to look exactly as the existing ones in the game.

If they re-model them like they did with Nautolans, Cathars or male Togrutas then I am definitely against Kel Dor's because this would ruin the whole model.

They'd need to do *something* with the models, since currently all Kel Dor NPCs look the same (apart from their clothes). They all have the same eye protectors and the same mask with the two spikes sticking out of the bottom, and all that. And they're all male. I don't think many people would be happy with BioWare releasing Kel Dor like that. (Male only and no customisation sliders???)