Elemental Convection Rotation/Priority in PvP

Skolops

I have been trying to figure out the best way to play Elemental Convection in PvP . Whether it's technically the best or not, it's a playstyle I enjoy. I have found this old thread (https://www.swtor.com/de/community/showthread.php?t=979879) and tried the information suggested there, which has helped, but there are some sorcs on my server who are using Elemental Convection to very strong effect and don't seem to be doing what is suggested there.

For example, one of them is doing 12,000 DPS in almost every match. We have almost exactly the same stats, so it isn't that. I've tried looking at parses of games he's in and I can't figure out any kind of rotation or priority system he is using and he doesn't seem to be matching either the suggestions from the link above or the regular PvE rotation priority system. In particular, he's using lightning bolt a lot more than I'd expect from any advice I've found anywhere or what makes sense from my own playing, where there almost never seems to be a time when lightning bolt is the best thing I can use.

I'd be willing to just chalk it up to his being more skilled than I, though in years past I was pretty good at putting up top numbers consistently, but what really confuses me is when we are attacking one another. It's like he does 3 or 4 gcds and I am almost dead, whereas I can do twice that and his HP barely drops at all. He just hits extraordinarily hard and I am seeming to hit him very weak and I am not sure why given that our gear is very nearly identical. I've even gone for as many damage reducing skill points as I can and used all the appropriate cooldowns and it doesn't change the dynamic.

Any thoughts on the most effective way to play with this tactical?

The advice in that thread from myself and Hoppin is the best you're going to get I'm afraid.

As for this other sorc bursting you hard, he's probably putting affliction on you first, and then buffing thundering blast with force speed and recklessness, followed by an instant chain lightning.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

The advice in that thread from myself and Hoppin is the best you're going to get I'm afraid.

As for this other sorc bursting you hard, he's probably putting affliction on you first, and then buffing thundering blast with force speed and recklessness, followed by an instant chain lightning.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I would assume he's doing that. That's the basic way to burst as far as I know and it's what I do to him, but it doesn't seem to do to him what he does to me, which is to reduce my HP more than half. As noted, my stats are very similar to his, too. Sometimes he is using blackout and that would explain a reduction, but not always.

I have managed to figure out that - I think - he's using a primeval fatestealer relic, based on the rate of his affliction ticks, and that likely explains part of it.

Ultimately, I think the biggest question I have is according to what rotation or conditions he is using lightning bolt. It doesn't seem to have any place in the rotation as explained in that other thread where I don't have Thundering Blast, Chain lightning, lightning flash, or an opportunity to use volt rush to proc chain lightning, but he does use it during his burst. There's another very strong player I've noticed doing the same thing, unless it's just an alt.

I have managed to figure out that - I think - he's using a primeval fatestealer relic, based on the rate of his affliction ticks, and that likely explains part of it.

I wouldn't recommend that relic. It's going to be a dps loss.

Ultimately, I think the biggest question I have is according to what rotation or conditions he is using lightning bolt. It doesn't seem to have any place in the rotation as explained in that other thread where I don't have Thundering Blast, Chain lightning, lightning flash, or an opportunity to use volt rush to proc chain lightning, but he does use it during his burst. There's another very strong player I've noticed doing the same thing, unless it's just an alt.

Lightning bolts are not going to increase your burst. They're filler. They do increase your survivability a bit by giving you extra damage reduction, so if you're being focused, throwing some lightning bolts in is often good. But all the other abilities do more damage. I'm not sure what magic you think is happening. I'd suggest not paying too much attention to this other sorc and just focus on practicing yourself.