The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Unwilling to PVP for tanking gear - will I be ok?

Avanaco

I've been seeing more and more folks talking about PVPing for their PVE gear.

The TLDR version of my question is this: I enjoy tanking, it's what I do, and the reason I play MMOs. If I'm unwilling to PVP for my tank gear, will I be ok at 50 to grind out some gear from flashpoints, or is PVP gear ultimately the only option?

Take note here: I'm NOT hating on PVP, I AM NOT trying to troll OR start flame wars, so please let's not have any of that. It just happens that I have a lot of injury issues with my left hand. Gaming is my hobby. So I choose very carefully what is fun enough to deal with pain. Heh. For me personally, that fun comes from tanking instances and raids as opposed to any sort of PVP in any MMOs (which is inherently imbalanced compared to FT2/BF/etc. and can never really be fixed in any imaginable scenario). <-- there's the explanation for anyone who wants it.

The question remains the same though. I hope to hear that gear from instances compares and is a sufficient choice.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Avanaco

If you have armor that is moddable, you can, theoretically, get the same stats as the PvP gear. The PvP gear is just fairly easy to get, looks good and comes with mods directed at specific roles. I haven't had too much luck finding tanking mods for my armor at 37 so I'm doing the pvp matches necessary for the level 40 set.

If you have armor that is moddable, you can, theoretically, get the same stats as the PvP gear. The PvP gear is just fairly easy to get, looks good and comes with mods directed at specific roles. I haven't had too much luck finding tanking mods for my armor at 37 so I'm doing the pvp matches necessary for the level 40 set.

Yeah right now I'm basically tanking with a DPS set, and frequently trading off aim for some endurance. I'm not having any trouble tanking any fp/heroic I get a group for, so I suppose I'll focus on a "real" tank set when i get 45+ and start crafting a set specifically for tanking.

what is a real tank set?

specifically what stats do I want as shield spec? I get endurance then aim, but does anyone have any advice on what priority I should apply to defence, absorbtion, shield rating critical rating etc.

I've googled a few guides but nothing seems definitive, my best guess at higher levels would be stack defence with absorbtion and shield rating taken as a bonus, anyone that can point me to something a little more comprehensive please?

what is a real tank set?

specifically what stats do I want as shield spec? I get endurance then aim, but does anyone have any advice on what priority I should apply to defence, absorbtion, shield rating critical rating etc.

I've googled a few guides but nothing seems definitive, my best guess at higher levels would be stack defence with absorbtion and shield rating taken as a bonus, anyone that can point me to something a little more comprehensive please?

I've been wondering the same thing. Personally, Ive picked absorption and shield gear. I'm gathering defense is like a dodge stat, and if we are tanking bosses I have a feeling dodge is going to be not so efficient: I don't see bosses/golds/silvers missing much. Plus, we need to get hit for our shields and some skills to work, right?

Note: I'm mid 30s, so end game I know nothing about.

Edited by Lyability

what is a real tank set?

Defense, Shield Rating, and Absorption Rating are your main tanking secondaries. Due to diminishing returns, you don't want to focus too heavily on one. I'd say focus first on Shield Rating, since shielding gives you a chance to proc shield cycler and static field, and absorption rating to make those successful shields mitigate more damage. Don't neglect Defense, though, because you cannot shield an attack that crits, but a dodged attack never crits.