Tanking in OPS as a casual ?

Varlak

Hi, my brother is playing a healer and since I anjoy tanking I've rolled a darkness assassin wich I anjoy quite a lot. As I see right now it wont be long before I'll be over geared for 4 players content.

But I'm wondering if it will be easy to get a spot for running operations on the fly, without beeing in a guild ? I just can't play enough to be a part of a raiding guild.

Would it be easier if I was a DPS ?

Hi, my brother is playing a healer and since I anjoy tanking I've rolled a darkness assassin wich I anjoy quite a lot. As I see right now it wont be long before I'll be over geared for 4 players content.

But I'm wondering if it will be easy to get a spot for running operations on the fly, without being in a guild ? I just can't play enough to be a part of a raiding guild.

Would it be easier if I was a DPS ?

It is difficult to over gear the harder flashpoints. Especially if you pug and you get a 75 healer/dps in 262 gear.

But yes. You can expect to be playing dps often, but many pug groups need a second tank or DwT. You do need to know mechanics and, if you are tanking, the boss's attack pattern including the damage type each attack do and the proper defense. That can only come with experience. You'd just be giving us poor healers heart attacks otherwise. Hope you are not already doing that in fp. :(

Edited by ElleSheepy

There are plenty of people looking for players to fill in on a one-time basis for Operations in the fleet area (or in certain Discord channels, Star Forge Raiding Community is a good one for when you feel ready to do VM ops but they don't call for SM Ops). It's lost most of its value for group forming over the years, but you can also /cjoin the custom chat channel Allies to sometimes find a group.

It doesn't make a difference that much which role you are, but if you're going to play a tank, that's good because you will always be in demand for groups as there's just so few of you compared to DPS, but the drawback is that you have the most riding on you to beat a boss; even in SM groups are going to be upset if you are too new to certain fights and cause difficulties. You may want to look over boss videos or guides to see how tanks are supposed to handle certain battles, but most are pretty understandable if you let them know you're new to an Operation and will instruct you. And SM for many Ops has been simplified to the limit anyway.

Good luck! Glad to know another tank's starting to do Ops.