The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best Buy Chat

Xylos

Hey I can throw credentials around as well! (But I won't because it is pretentious and does not make your opinion any more valid).

IF the method you described was so easy, EVERY MMO in the last 20 years would have approached it that way and would have succeeded in doing so. NONE HAVE (at least not on this scale).

Time and money factor in significantly. Monitoring 150 servers for glitches on day 1 is a gargantuan task - likely not feasible. If something goes wrong, it can take days/weeks to track down the bug - evidenced by how most launches only get stable after a couple of days.

Bioware is doing the smart thing by introducing a number of servers at a time so that IF there is a problem, it is much easier to localize and fix.

TL;DR

Don't play armchair techie, you are not smart enough.

Actually every mmo would not have done it.... every company is different just like every person is different. They make their own choices for what they think is best.....

If every mmo was the same then every mmo would be 3 factions like DAOC...the best pvp mmo ever (If you dont agree that it is, than you prove my point).

Actually a company consists of many employees and many on each task level. This 150 server watch is done by IT and network technicians. They work as a team in groups. Bugs happen, however that is why beta and stress tests were done. By the time a stress test was done, many things had been fixed before. Many servers were involved in beta to hold those 2 million. Thus, things were in place.

SR has since stated that he chose to do waves into the game at minimum for continued stress testing.... basicly he has admitted that he is slowing down the first few days as final testing... so early game access is basicly a final beta test before release...

The method they chose was for a final beta test to include the early game access players (forgive me if you do not agree, once again proving my point that everyone like every company takes different approaches and views on things). The game is not launched and though people could cry about it, we could be surprised with a wipe due to massive exploiting in PVP aspects of the game.

If this was the correct method than 800,000+ players who preordered would not be pissed off about unfair advantages, that were not advertised at the time preorders began, thus making the entire preorder system to be missadvertised.

once again its now 1020 so its rather late and its a game, not work so id rather type fast as i think it, rather than edit my words.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the chat log ... no one said anything about staggered launch or the pvp warfront exploit. And yet the forums are full threads about it. The Best Buy servers couldnt even handle the number of people trying to enter the website.

I read the chat log ... no one said anything about staggered launch or the pvp warfront exploit. And yet the forums are full threads about it. The Best Buy servers couldnt even handle the number of people trying to enter the website.

When we asked questions we were limited and moderated for:

personal info

profanity

off topic

When we asked about anythign to do with pvp or exploit... we were denied ability to enter our question due to it being off topic

pvp = off topic

exploit = off topic

The issue was answered by SR earlier in the day where he stated there was no one considerably close to 30 in the metrics... which was quickly proven false by mass links to streams showing 31-50's...only for those threads to be deleted.

The Q&A session was very hectic and slooow due to best buy not being prepared. SR even left after a couple minutes due to it being horribly laggy...