The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What's the incentive??

herecomesevan

What is the point of this game?

... Being able to fast travel EVERYWHERE makes it feel like even less of a connected world. .... There's a speeder or quick travel to take you just about everywhere, and because your level and iRating are adjusted, every enemy is the exact same difficulty, and that difficulty is "Mind-Numbingly Easy". No reason to adjust your playstyle or think critically about approaching fights. AoE, loot, repeat.

The fact that you can fast travel to them from ANYWHERE in the galaxy, and often don't need to manually form a group just presents Ops as another arbitrary activity.

So you raise some points about ease of travel. It didn't used to be that way - you could only travel to locations you knew (on planet). So you had to explore the planet to find the taxi and quick travel points. Same for going between planets (you don't have to use your ship anymore). While games updates have removed these "time wasters", you could take a more role-playing mind set and actually not use them - make it part of the experience. Same for dialogues - stop space barring through them. Immerse yourself in the environment and the story.

Okay, so endgame gearing/raids must be where the actual game is? Right? Except that "gearing" also is insanely watered down, with adaptive gear and continuously swapping out mods to attain an arbitrary set of numbers.

All this wouldn't be such a problem if the gameplay was even remotely interesting. I've been grinding away at this game for weeks now, and even after hitting 75, Item Level, and knocking out a handful of operations, I'm still waiting for something fun to happen.

Obviously that's fine if so, but why is it presented as an MMO? Is there really nothing else to do than Hammer Station until the end of time?

Well the original game only went to level 50, but there were 8 class stories (and also some of the dialogues and options are gender specific).. It sounds like you only played one class and gender. There used to be a huge difference in the class abilities and rotations (so lots to learn). Overtime the play styles/options have become more homogenized but there still is plenty of differences. Try some of them out and enjoy the variance. Once you go past 50, there is no more class story difference (sadly makes replaying KofET/KofFE redundant - i.e., go dark/light/neutral and you've seen it all; try the saboteur option for another variation)

Okay, so endgame gearing/raids must be where the actual game is? Right? Except that "gearing" also is insanely watered down, with adaptive gear and continuously swapping out mods to attain an arbitrary set of numbers.

I'm not a hard mode/nightmare mode raider but OPS are fun (doing things and working as a group). Get in a guild which organizes activities (achievements, getting datacrons, hunts/races etc.). For me - it's playing in a star wars universe and wielding a lightsaber or blaster.

I enjoy doing 3-D models. I use a program called Wings 3-D. It's a legitimate freeware / share ware program. When done the models can be exported in 3-DSMax (also used in games).

I use to have my own website and would post WIP of some of the models I make.

*** USS Missouri (BB class following a general design off of some of the discussions we had with friends back in the old SFC OP days)

*** Defiant

The following is not my work … it is provided by someone else. The "refit" I'm working on has a slightly different hull yet is still recognizable as a spin off of this design ...

http://imgur.com/gallery/OCWDG/comment/131715614

*** And of course you already know what the Corellian YT-1300f light freighter is … I'm just doing a "refit" or spin off version of that ship !

wow that's some pretty nerdly stuff you are into Buzzard. I don't know anything about any of that stuff sounds really complicated. When you finish something, or have something you got done you can share would you share it I am curious to see what you do yourself. (Send me a PM if you want?)

I'm here for the story. I completely finished Jedi Knight and trying to get my other 7 main characters to the end of Onslaught. Two are in Iokath and the rest are in Eternal Empire. I'm also redoing the class stories with my secondary 8 characters using the other subclass I didn't choose the first time for the fun of new tactics.

I tried a few Groups with my Jedi Knight. I didn't enjoy it. I'm repeatedly defeated. Challenge is one thing. Impossibility is another. What I might do is go through the Hero missions I passed. My Knight is overpowered for them, but that's not the point. It's about the story and activity, to see something new. Meanwhile my Knight is spending happily ever after with Theron. :p

Gear means nothing other than improving my character for the next stage as the game plays. I used the Cartel to buy the outfits I want so my characters look cool for me. When I finished my secondary class stories and my main 8 have finished Onslaught, I'll decide then if I want to keep playing my secondaries into Hutt, Revan, Eternal Empire, Onslaught or finally put the game to rest.

Edited by Hadsil

The incentive is to collect decorations, decorate strongholds, build up a guidl ship and decorate that too.

Then roleplay in them.

What? You thought your idea of incentives were the only ones in existence?

I tried a few Groups with my Jedi Knight. I didn't enjoy it. I'm repeatedly defeated. Challenge is one thing. Impossibility is another. What I might do is go through the Hero missions I passed. My Knight is overpowered for them, but that's not the point. It's about the story and activity, to see something new. Meanwhile my Knight is spending happily ever after with Theron. :p.

If You was taking that much damage in a group that you were dying depending on what you was doing some people wernt doing their roles properly. If a tank tanks, and healers heal, you wouldnt die :p and even in flashpoints on bosses, They have the healing stations.

as a sentinal you dont jump in first, they are squishy but do immense of damage, its about learning the classes capabilities