The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why the absolute heck does Arn's Unshielded Dualsaber sheathe to the BACK!??

FYI - there are "swords" that can be equipped by lightsaber users. These also can be either back-mounted or hip-mounted, so be sure to preview them. I discovered this the hard way so you don't have to. 🙂

And, suggestion for devs - in future (if not retroactively), rather than making one lightsaber mount on the back, and a different one hang from the hip, how about making two versions of the same lighsaber, one back-mount, one hip-mount. Maybe just call them the B and H versions.

I was going to suggest exactly that, in the same vein as say the Dashing Rogue outfit, it comes with two chestpieces, one with a built in companion droid and one without it for people who would find that distracting/annoying. They should have done the same thing for different sheathe locations. It s of course too late now, they'll never retroactively change it :(

Not smashing your hopes, but I think it is basically impossible for them to do that. Changing where the sabers go is not as easy as flipping a switch. They would have to work over all the animations and interactions with the different body types plus armor. We already have a lot of object clipping in the game because the engine is a nightmare to work with and it is safe to say that they won't allocate resources and manpower to go through saber sheathing.

As said by a poster below you, they could have simply given us two items in a bundle for those sabers. A back equipped one and hip equipped one, then you could choose which you wish to use when you buy the bundle. Much like how some outfits have two pieces for the same area because one has a slight difference (Dashing Rogue for example)

I was going to suggest exactly that, in the same vein as say the Dashing Rogue outfit, it comes with two chestpieces, one with a built in companion droid and one without it for people who would find that distracting/annoying. They should have done the same thing for different sheathe locations. It s of course too late now, they'll never retroactively change it :(

There's also the Beachwear set that has 2 chestpieces - one with a cape, and one without a cape.

They'll probably never make the lightsaber's position choose-able, and if they did, it probably wouldn't be retroactive. But they could easily come out with two versions of future weapons, and/or alternate versions of older models.

There's also the Beachwear set that has 2 chestpieces - one with a cape, and one without a cape.

They'll probably never make the lightsaber's position choose-able, and if they did, it probably wouldn't be retroactive. But they could easily come out with two versions of future weapons, and/or alternate versions of older models.

Yeah I'd imagine that would be the best we can hope for. And even THAT sounds pie in the sky, which is depressing.

I have one on my shadow. I actually like it on her instead of on her belt where half the time it drags on the ground. It works better in my opinion on her back than half dragging on the ground and I have had it for a while so there been some around before now.

I have one on my shadow. I actually like it on her instead of on her belt where half the time it drags on the ground. It works better in my opinion on her back than half dragging on the ground and I have had it for a while so there been some around before now.

I doubt Arn's dualsaber would have been dragging along the ground if it was on the hip tbf. It doesn't look any longer than the Volatile Derelict Dualsaber my Shadow is using right now and it looks fine on the hip.

Why are you acting like I'm trying to ruin something for other people? I literally said a few posts above that isn't my intention here. If some people like the back saber, fine, good for them. I already have given my suggestions on the matter and they do not involve making every saber the way I want it and only the way I want it. I said there should be an toggle option, or at the very least clearer information that this is a feature on the sabers that have it.

Yeah, I guess. Anyway, carry on soldier. :cool:

I doubt Arn's dualsaber would have been dragging along the ground if it was on the hip tbf. It doesn't look any longer than the Volatile Derelict Dualsaber my Shadow is using right now and it looks fine on the hip.

Male? Female? Body type 1/2/3/4? I think a lot of times these disagreements have to do with assumptions we make about one another's characters without asking for that clarification.

What works for one body type doesn't necessarily work for another.. even specific classes sometimes matter as there is a variation in combat stances that can creep up (saw a lot of this when people were arguing over the Nautolans when they were released), granted, that's irrelevant to a discussion on how weapons look when sheathed.

I generally prefer the back mounted dualsabers.. but in some cases they don't center correctly and look awful. Not to mention, your concern regarding clipping is completely valid. I've seen hip mounted dualsabers that looked terrible too... ones that go right up into the armpit. I guess that's the downside to creating one weapon for eight different available body options. Thus, why it's necessary to always preview... lesson learned the hard way, unfortunately.

Edited by red_onion

My shadow is a female body type 2 and so she is small and 90% of the sabers tend to drag on the ground for her. I was so thrilled when they finally had some on the back. I kept figuring she was going to trip. I never switch sabers from the original one she got because of that reason no matter how much I wanted them because I wasn't going to pay for something that I knew I would not use because of that reason. I started previewing them prior to purchase because of that reason.

Edited by casirabit

My shadow is a female body type 2 and so she is small and 90% of the sabers tend to drag on the ground for her. I was so thrilled when they finally had some on the back. I kept figuring she was going to trip. I never switch sabers from the original one she got because of that reason no matter how much I wanted them because I wasn't going to pay for something that I knew I would not use because of that reason. I started previewing them prior to purchase because of that reason.

Male? Female? Body type 1/2/3/4? I think a lot of times these disagreements have to do with assumptions we make about one another's characters without asking for that clarification.

What works for one body type doesn't necessarily work for another.. even specific classes sometimes matter as there is a variation in combat stances that can creep up (saw a lot of this when people were arguing over the Nautolans when they were released), granted, that's irrelevant to a discussion on how weapons look when sheathed.

I generally prefer the back mounted dualsabers.. but in some cases they don't center correctly and look awful. Not to mention, your concern regarding clipping is completely valid. I've seen hip mounted dualsabers that looked terrible too... ones that go right up into the armpit. I guess that's the downside to creating one weapon for eight different available body options. Thus, why it's necessary to always preview... lesson learned the hard way, unfortunately.

Ah, totally fair points. I hadn't considered different body types. I usually always use the same one for males and females so it doesnt occur to me right away, don't know if I've ever had a Shadow/Assassin that was female at all, so i have no idea how those sabers would look. I admit, there are a lot more people who like this feature than I'd anticipated, so I can't really complain too much as I am clearly in the minority here. I was mostly just annoyed at first because of the amount of credits I'd just wasted so I had to vent a little here, but the sting has faded.

For all the amount I use Shadows/Assassins I can live without the cooler sabers. I just have begun falling in love with those classes though :( I hated them for YEARS as I couldnt quite get the attack rotation figured out without always being out of focus but a recent Assassin run changed my mind, really got the hang of it. The class is so tough to get a good rotation of attacks going on before hitting the higher levels. Up till like 40ish I'm still regularly running outta focus lol, but it's not like any story npc can possibly beat me anyways

Yeah I'd imagine that would be the best we can hope for. And even THAT sounds pie in the sky, which is depressing.

In this case, I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It shouldn't be that difficult and if the devs see the suggestion, they might implement it. After all, if they can make two sabers, one hip mounted, one back mounted, they should be able to make two versions of the same saber. (or maybe even a slightly shorter version for hip use.)

However, if there's a particular saber you like but that has the wrong mount, well.... 😥🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

In this case, I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It shouldn't be that difficult and if the devs see the suggestion, they might implement it. After all, if they can make two sabers, one hip mounted, one back mounted, they should be able to make two versions of the same saber. (or maybe even a slightly shorter version for hip use.)

However, if there's a particular saber you like but that has the wrong mount, well.... 😥🤔

I'm a pessimist by nature, you may have noticed. In the end I just got Twisted Fang Dualsaber instead, it has a similar effect as Arn's and goes on the hip. it's kinda weird looking, but it'll do.

I agree, I thought it might've been for only certain dualsaber models, but if this is going to be the standard now, it looks stupid, and the clipping through many outfits is horrendous. Yes, a staff would need to be stowed on the back, but this is a saberstaff. It need not be carried on the back. Darth Maul didn't carry his there. He carried it on the waist.