Computer Freezes Mid-Game

Hollow_Stone

Greetings.

Not sure if anyone else has been having this issue or if it's just my computer, but it's been happening a lot lately and it's really annoying. I'll try to explain as best I can. As I'm playing, especially when there's a lot of activity going on in the game (like an intense battle with multiple NPCs, etc) the game freezes up, the sound also goes erratic and basically makes this high pitched buzzing type of.... repeating over and over... kind of thing lol. It's hard to explain but the game freezes (sometimes it goes real slowly first then freezes), the sound gets all loud and buzzy and the only way to correct the issue is to hard boot my computer. It freezes the entire computer, essentially, because I can't exit out of it, the Windows key doesn't bring up the Windows menu bar, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't bring up the Task Menu options, the MUTE button doesn't even work when this happens.etc. Nothing works but hard booting my entire computer (holding down the POWER button till the PC turns off then turning it back on for anyone not familiar with the term "Hard boot"). I'm using an HP Laptop that I've been playing the game on for years. I think I've had the laptop for about 2 years now. It's in great shape, no other game I play or anything else does this to my laptop, all of my drivers are up to date (I pay a monthly fee for a driver prog to keep them updated) and there's still over 200 GIGS of memory free on a 1 TB hard drive (20% of the hard drive is free). I'm at a loss other than to ask here and see if anyone else has had or is having this same problem or if they know what might be causing it and how to fix it.

Thanx for your consideration everyone. :D

Edited by Hollow_Stone

And make sure to not play with the laptop resting on a soft surface like e.g. your bed. The little feet on the bottom will dig in to the surface and the whole bottom of the case will rest on the surface. This blocks the holes on the bottom where cool air enters the case. That air then circulates through the machine and is blown out of the side and/or the other side and/or the back(1) by the fans. Reduced airflow getting in = reduced airflow over the hot components = reduced cooling = overheating parts = crashy computer.

(1) My Asus ROG Strix G blows air out of the right side *and* the back.