The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

More vanilla-type lightsabers, no these slim-laser lightsabers.

tummiswtor

New Cartel Market Lightsabers (since 4.0 or something) got very slim crystal color blade. Blademaster, Darth Malgus, Tulak Hord, Entropy Lightsaber, Satele Shan etc. Add more new hilts with normal like we get from quests, like out starter lightsaber, Senya/Arcann NPC lightsaber and every 1-50 level shop/drop lightsaber. Nowadays lightsabers looks like toothpicks.

Old Lightsabers with Bloom off looks still better than new ones with bloom on.

New Cartel Market Lightsabers (since 4.0 or something) got very slim crystal color blade. Blademaster, Darth Malgus, Tulak Hord, Entropy Lightsaber, Satele Shan etc. Add more new hilts with normal like we get from quests, like out starter lightsaber, Senya/Arcann NPC lightsaber and every 1-50 level shop/drop lightsaber. Nowadays lightsabers looks like toothpicks.

Old Lightsabers with Bloom off looks still better than new ones with bloom on.

I suspect the problem is kids nowadays (queue the chorus of "Ok Boomer")

To explain that if you look at the animation style of recent cartoons like Rebels you will notice the slimmer blades on the light sabers than most portrayals, and I suspect this is what they were trying to capture, under the expectation that this is what people expect now.

Right now the people running Star Wars (all aspects) seem to have some major issues, namely that they produce content for the "new generations" not realizing that Star Wars was a multi-generational property before they got there. The core audience for Star Wars is not people being newly introduced to the franchise as they release things, but a mass of people, young and old, that have been there as a consistent presence. "Youth" that likes Star Wars was typically introduced to it by their parents, they didn't discover it themselves, and for decades now there have been long discussions about what the best order (release or chronological) is best to introduce a kid, or new fan, to the universe.

While exceptions do exist I'm sure, the typical "target" for Star Wars is not going to be someone who was introduced to it by say "Rebels", rather people who enjoyed "Rebels", even kids, likely were introduced to the movies and other material first by their parents. This is a big part of why I think the newer Star Wars movies have gotten such a huge backlash, the "new fans" they wanted to bring in and introduce didn't exist in any real numbers. One thing Disney and other Star Wars rights holders don't seem to get is that the criticism isn't angry boomers and gen Xers, but everyone, including the majority of the "progressive youth" they were aiming at with the assumption this would be new to them.... the majority of the audience already knew it, and had expectations that were being betrayed. This is why the reaction can be so vehement.

At any rate, I've noticed a lot of "slim saber" stuff and it all seems to go back to the cartoon they currently think was the backbone of interest, and they seem to be aiming the aestetic at kids familiar with that, and the SWTOR slim sabers seem to follow the pattern set by that particular stylization of the artwork.

I myself think they need to go back to the more "traditional" saber thickness which made them seem far more weighty and impressive. Perhaps even re-doing the artwork on some of the current blades. To be fair while I've heard a number of the sword fights in "Rebels" be praised for the animation and choreography, not to mention the attention to detail in following the "Forms" properly and the genius of things like the final Obi-Wan / Darth Maul fight which was a giant flash back to the original confrontation in the live action movies right down to the stances and body language, the artwork of the sabers themselves is something I have heard continual criticism from... namely because even kids typically saw the movies first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I agree. I think the slim hilts like from Star Wars Rebels are based from Ralph McQuarrie's concept art. Speaking specifically of the hilts, they're hideous IMO. I personally hate the toothpick designs and think it doesn't go with the general art style. Edited by Talon_strikes

• 2 weeks later...

I love that we can choose the style of the blade, attenuated and shoto and such.

Personally, I love how an attenuated blade makes some of the fuzzy color crystals look sharp.

I do wish there was a larger variety of small hilts, though. Most of them look gigantic on a female toon.

Some of them are practically laser-Bat'leths.

I'd like more variety of attenuated, shoto, and attenuated shoto hilts, or better yet, just make that an option we can add (like tunings).

Edited by Xina_LA

Nowadays lightsabers looks like toothpicks.

Toothpicks with forearm length hilts. I get it. Variety adds flavor to life. But I could not agree more. Now Im not going to hate on the new huge hilt "toothpick" sabers, I have several. But "getting rid of them" or "stop making them" is not what the OP is asking for. Just more variety. So I say why not? If they gave us more sabers that actually looked as detailed as some of the new ones with bigger blades and shorter hilts there would be a market for them just as there is for the current style direction.