PSA: Companion Gifts, The GTN Inflation, and you.

CKNORTH

doesn't bother me a bit... and for solo encounters, I agree for the most part..... depending on how hard the thing you're soloing is... the dps figures really come down to how long to does take to power through x content. knowing how to force positioning helps.

on the healing side though.... that you can really feel in a group where one person uses a heal comp instead of having a dedicated healer. Z0-0M is definitely almost as good as having a ok live player on your team, dual-wield comps feel like a kinda crappy live player, singles feel like a really crappy live player, and CM comps feel like that person that queued as healer in DPS spec that you vote kick from flashpoints.

Great analogy, this gave me a laugh.

Though sadly when running tacticals, it still seems like tuning in places is such that a healer comp is more useful that an actual player (assuming a non-CM comp and a dps player).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't bother me a bit... and for solo encounters, I agree for the most part..... depending on how hard the thing you're soloing is... the dps figures really come down to how long to does take to power through x content. knowing how to force positioning helps.

on the healing side though.... that you can really feel in a group where one person uses a heal comp instead of having a dedicated healer. Z0-0M is definitely almost as good as having a ok live player on your team, dual-wield comps feel like a kinda crappy live player, singles feel like a really crappy live player, and CM comps feel like that person that queued as healer in DPS spec that you vote kick from flashpoints.

When people say CM comps, I assume they mean the combat companions that you cannot use for crafting? I ask because there are also some that you can earn in game and so they aren't exclusively CM comps. And well you can also buy Treek from the CM ;)

I've never really used those comps so there may be a difference there...which is odd really because I'd expect those companions to be a bit better because that's what they're meant for. But yeah I use the "regular" kind of companions exclusively. The animal ones I don't really care about overall and the droid ones get in my private space too much so they feel to me like they're always too close for comfort.

So, the context is that I only use what you dub humanoid companions and that's what my comments relate to. In the end if you kill healer mobs first and work from weak to strong, use cc when you have it etc. that makes a huge difference already.

I agree that some things cannot be done as thoughtlessly anymore as before but it's not that difficult to learn a thing or two about how to approach combat encounters. I guess that's what my point was.

I do not consider myself one of the best players and i'm not 18 anymore either but it baffles me sometimes how little people understand or are willing to learn these days. It actually disturbs me a bit because it's a sad state of affairs from my point of view at least. Oh well. Maybe it's in part because I never really had r50 companions till now because it makes a difference for crafting. I used to make do with r20 companions before.

Having to spend "imaginary" money, means that much less I have, which in turn means that much more stuff I'll be "encouraged" to spend cartel coins on, which means eventually having to purchase some with "real" money.

You may feel "encouraged" to spend real money on CM stuff, but that's not an intrinsic part of the game and you can just spend your monthly CC sub reward. Plus, that's just cosmetic stuff that you don't need.

And how 'bout those companion gifts "unlocks?" Can I buy those with "imaginary" money?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Both the "faster gift giving" Legacy perk, and the gifts themselves, can be bought with "imaginary" in-game credits.

2) You say PURCHASE a companion. lol. Kinda makes my point for me rather than discrediting it.

3) "Level" one companion....... lol again. See #1

These were in reference to your "having the companion taken away" comment. They were not about having to pay for them. Plus, of course many of the companions are sub rewards.

Not sure why you saw the need to try and discredit and/or invalidate my opinion & how I see things with a condescending "counterpoint" rather than simply stating your own opinion but, meh, whatever. Doesn't change my mind or my opinion.

I saw the need to invalidate your opinion because, in my opinion, your opinion is baseless and at least, partially based on mis-information.

There's nothing about any game that precludes the idea of having to spend in-game currency to play the game. Monopoly, Life, and many more board games are examples.

If I spend money to join a poker tournament, I still have to at least use in-game currency (chips) to play the game.

And yes, you need to spend imaginary in-game currency to play SWTOR. You seem to be unaware of things like the Legacy Panel, GTN, Companion Gift vendor, etc, places where you can buy things for credits. You can play the game without ever visiting the Cartel Market.

[...]

Though sadly when running tacticals, it still seems like tuning in places is such that a healer comp is more useful that an actual player (assuming a non-CM comp and a dps player).

I tend to use the dantooine heroics as my measing stick right now, but I can imagine a few FP's that would certainly fit your description

When people say CM comps, I assume they mean the combat companions that you cannot use for crafting? I ask because there are also some that you can earn in game and so they aren't exclusively CM comps. And well you can also buy Treek from the CM ;)[...]

correct, CM comps = the beasts / bots from the market exclusively that cannot be used to craft with.

[...] I do not consider myself one of the best players and i'm not 18 anymore either but it baffles me sometimes how little people understand or are willing to learn these days. It actually disturbs me a bit because it's a sad state of affairs from my point of view at least. Oh well. Maybe it's in part because I never really had r50 companions till now because it makes a difference for crafting. I used to make do with r20 companions before.

I'm largely a solo player, and have always been crafting focused so having maxed comps is a must for me.... both for widening the content I can do solo, and for maxing crafting bonuses. my play environment is a bit unstable, so being able to walk away without screwing over friends at a moments notice is... important, hence lots of solo. like you I'm no longer a spring chicken, so maximizing stats / gear / etc and thinking tactically is how I raise my bar.