Anyone else think Nautolan’s female model is ugly?

ptsdgirl

she looks pretty cool!

Thanks.

I'm probably in the minority, but i'm very happy with our PC Nautolan. Much more than i've ever been with Cathar and Togruta (and the worst part is that i actually bought these 2 species with CC...)

I've been waiting for them for a long time and i'm really not disappointed. I'm actually happy they don't look like NPCs and look closer to movie Kit Fisto (loved him as soon as he appeared on screen).

So i'd be very unhappy if they changed what we have now.

I'd not mind them adding a new face closer to the NPCs for people who prefer NPC models though.

I was soooo looking forward to being a Nautolan, but not now. I tried to make a good looking female, but it was impossible. I get that Bioware were not able to make the character models look like the npcs, but did they have to make them do dam ugly? I play some female and some male character. Female or male Nautolan character models are hideous.

I guess Nautolans are the pugs of SWTOR. With pugs you either find them irresistibly cute or you find them looking like ugly wrinkled piles of cookie dough with a tongue sticking out of it. :D

Literally this, I think this has always been the case, a lot of people love them and a lot of people think they are gross. I think BioWare has done a way better job with the Nautolan's than they did with previous races they have added and I think it is evident a lot more effort went into them. Not everything has to look like a conventional human super model, especially when it comes to alien species. One of the biggest problems SWTOR has always had is that they haven't had a playable species with truly alien facial features. Twi'lek, and Togruta are the most "alien" species until now, but they were still very near-human.

Edited by Jesira

Literally this, I think this has always been the case, a lot of people love them and a lot of people think they are gross. I think BioWare has done a way better job with the Nautolan's than they did with previous races they have added and I think it is evident a lot more effort went into them. Not everything has to look like a conventional human super model, especially when it comes to alien species. One of the biggest problems SWTOR has always had is that they haven't had a playable species with truly alien facial features. Twi'lek, and Togruta are the most "alien" species until now, but they were still very near-human.

Sorry, but it isn't cose they don't look human.

They just feel like they were half assed done .

They don't blink, the body 1, 2, 3, 4 don't change squat .

The eyes and mouth give them a : Buggly eyes smirk face .

All the characters are neutrale looking in the cc . They shouldn't have a Tugging-at-the-corners-of-the-lips smile .

Then there is that weird Brownish stuff on the face .

The only thing I liked are the tentacles . I love playing Aliens species.....humans are boring for me.

But this ? Nope . Sorry, but...the Nautolans in games look better . And the ones we were given are nowhere close to that look .

Twi'lek, and Togruta are the most "alien" species until now, but they were still very near-human.

That's what I think, too. I agree with some that think the colors could be better but I recognize they went outside the cookie cutter mold when they worked on the Nautolans.

I realize Twi'lek and Togruta have human-like faces, but for being "alien" they really just look like mutated humans. At least with Nautolans their faces are really their own, nothing like a human.

This race isn't perfect in appearance but they can improve upon it, and I give the designers credit for basically starting from scratch on the PC version of the Nautolan.

Kudos to whoever went outside the box when they designed Nautolans.

Im perplexed by the standard that bioware has placed on these what are basically paid for races. Nautys are the newest but just as egregious in what can only be said as lack of effort for maximum reward. Now dont get me wrong i love my new nautolan inquisitor.

But its not that they cant wear helmets, nothing effects there heads/ I understand that a helmet isnt going to fit on her head, but darkside effects, rebreathers and even rascals toothpick will never work. And the clipping issues are through the roof.

I mean if they want togo this route with premium race unlocks they need to either put us inline with npcs or npcs inline with us.

You guys are cracking me up with this thread. I agree the choices are less than...ideal. But I'll admit I am pleased with my male Nautolan sniper, Kalin:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZRQygpCZ/Desktop-Screenshot-2019-11-01-23-34-19-53.png

I don't know why the females of the races often seem to have the worst options in character creation. I find that's true across many games, not just this one. As a female, I typically create male characters in most games for that very reason. Alas.

As a female, I typically create male characters in most games for that very reason. Alas.

This is funny I actually tend to pick females because I feel they usually look better to me on the game than the male models. Especially on SWTOR, I find the male appearances mostly exaggerated looking. I mean the BT3 muscular male looks too musclebound, the BT4 has too many muscles for being "heavy," and the BT1 male doesn't really look very realistic for a small/wiry male. I find the female models all decent in their own ways.

You guys are cracking me up with this thread. I agree the choices are less than...ideal. But I'll admit I am pleased with my male Nautolan sniper, Kalin:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZRQygpCZ/Desktop-Screenshot-2019-11-01-23-34-19-53.png

I don't know why the females of the races often seem to have the worst options in character creation. I find that's true across many games, not just this one. As a female, I typically create male characters in most games for that very reason. Alas.

He looks good! I think he's adorable lol

Edited by Jesira

I’m wondering, are they going to do anything to fix the race? Or they’ll hammer on everything, because the twi'leks still have the skin of the body different from the head and a seam is visible on the neck. And it still has not been fixed! And the game has been for so many years.

Some things of note that not everyone might be aware of.

1) After a certain point in the game's life cycle, the devs/artists started moving towards a different artistic direction with some of the newer character models being generated for new content. The older standouts being Lana's original face model & the Cathar race. KOTFE saw a major shift in artistic direction with a number of character models. Characters like Valkorian, Koth, Senya, etc, had noticeably more detailed characters models/faces than anything previously seen in the game. However when those characters were contrasted against the player character it almost looked like they were characters models from a different game. Note this picture of Savik & Tau who are both in the same scene with the same lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/NotuKkF.png

Both the Cathar & the Nautolan races fall more in line with the art direction found in KOTFE than that of the vanilla game. The Togruta use player character faces that have been in the game since launch, but they're using different (higher quality) textures what was in the vanilla game. Most noticeably their leku textures are much different from what existed in the game prior.

2) While the Nautolans use the existing body types their heads are bigger than human heads. When you equip the Dynamic Brawler headgear on any of the other races and unsheathe your weapon(s) your character's eyes will glow. The effect is disabled for Nautolans but can still be seen on the character select screen if you have the headgear equipped. You can see in the GIF below where the eyes are on human face in relation to the Nautolan's face.

https://imgur.com/a/iCO8IBu

The Nautolan heads seem like they perhaps built in a similar fashion to helmets, being built around a human head. Their heads being this size or being built this way basically makes it impossible for any of the existing headpieces to work with their heads or rather they would need to rescale & re-rig any headpiece they want to work on/for Nautolans.

3) While it's unfortunate that no headpieces can work on Nautolans one fun thing you can do as a result of that is equipping any helmet that modifies your character's voice. Once you do so (& have Hide Head Slot unchecked) your character's voice will have the effect of that helmet in cutscenes even though the helmet isn't visible. The same can be done with Togruta. You can see an example of it in action here...

4) The reason we're not able to use the existing NPC faces for the added races is because they're not built the same way as the player faces. When the Cathar released one of the devs stated that it wasn't possible to use the existing NPC faces as options because they lack a number of options that are built into the player character faces that are needed/required for player characters to work properly across all the game's cutscenes.

I too have been waiting for Nautolans for a long time and am a little disappointed with the options, but I was eventually able to make both a male & female Nautolan that I liked.

Male

https://i.imgur.com/emefZv0.jpg

Female

https://i.imgur.com/0wO49Lv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xRSuCyL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xBlSzMa.jpg

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Frankly, I agree. But the same goes for the male, there's only one face there that I find okay, not good, but it's acceptable. But all the Nautolan female facial models are just... no. And the sad thing is, is that the already existing female NPC faces look great. When the species was announced, I was really hoping to see those faces in our character creation screen. But instead, the devs went and made something else that is a big downgrade in my opinion.

I decided to re sub for this expansion just for Nautolans. All of the npc female Nautolans are so pretty!! I was so disappointed by the faces and eyes. I always thought they were a beautiful race, but wow, sigh. Can you please give us the npc random stand around Nautolan model? Their tentacles are so much longer and they have metal bands, not just leather. Please make them just as beautiful as the extras just standing around!

Maybe the NPCs are unrealistic and the newer player models are closer to the "real" Nautolans. Next time I meet some real Nautolans, I'll have to have a look. 😉

Maybe the NPCs are unrealistic and the newer player models are closer to the "real" Nautolans. Next time I meet some real Nautolans, I'll have to have a look. 😉

The NPC Nautolans we see in the game are actually all hybrid human-nautolans. Naturally they have more human-like appearances. Sorry people, half-natuolans are not an available player race!

yes I do think their ugly, remind me of this video (Fish Heads)
when using the new models for this new race, why couldn't the face be like npc from Lady of Sorrows

4) The reason we're not able to use the existing NPC faces for the added races is because they're not built the same way as the player faces. When the Cathar released one of the devs stated that it wasn't possible to use the existing NPC faces as options because they lack a number of options that are built into the player character faces that are needed/required for player characters to work properly across all the game's cutscenes.

The NPC Nautolans we see in the game are actually all hybrid human-nautolans. Naturally they have more human-like appearances. Sorry people, half-natuolans are not an available player race!

well half breed..half human, half whatever . They still need work .