The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Your "average Joe" remarks

Przemo_No

I have created a new character from the scratch on PTS – around phase 2 – it was Nautolan Plasmatech Vanquard.

Had to run the whole Ord Mantell, because, surprise, surprise there is not Odessen terminal on Republic starter planets. Ok, a chance to see what has changed and what not.

Apart from beheading my character (he lost his head completely between PH 2 and 3 – which has created some fear and curiosity among those with whom I grouped) starter worlds are pretty playable and understandable.

The “fun” part starts when you get to the fleet and try to “upgrade” yourself with new items via “lvl 75 booster” – not only the character panel is too small and too clunky but also the gear you are supposed to buy is by no means specified – Trooper vendor has about 7 or 8 armor sets available and who is the wise one that knows which one belongs to Vanquard DPS? Only via slow clicking through all those lists you may get an idea – again – veterans will have much less trouble, while newcomers will be lost in that.

Then, if you proceed with any content and receive any Renown (or just loot bosses from various activities) you start to receive dozens of mods and enhancements of similar names but with extra code and stats – WAAAAAAY too many, not sure what for.

Secondly, the amplifiers – I still have NO CLUE where they are located and how to re-engineer them. I see different gear shells with extra description (+1,5 to Life Stealing, etc. – why the heck my Soldier would need “life stealing” – which seems more Sorcerer thing, not for rifle guy) but how can I extract it from the shell, no idea, not to mention re-rolling.

I run couple of PFs on that char (10 x grouped) went rather smoothly, regardless of group composition. Tried to do Hammer St. vet mode solo – well, all was fine till las boss where my companions (Jorgan lvl 30 or Paxton 40) were decimated no matter what, because they loved to “stand in stupid” – no Heroic Moment, no Unity, no guarding did any help in that. So as a result – no win/win, boooo…

I guess is the aim was reached - Veteran Flashpoints are meant to be done in the group.

Did not even try to touch crafting, except few investigation missions – it was all already complicated and form what I hear/read here it is even more flabbergasting.

Now, if I was a newbie to the game I would feel overwhelmed with all the RNG stuff that goes around character progression at lvl 75.

As a veteran – I simply do not feel like running the hamster wheel. What for? To get another random (very much possibly downgraded) gear piece? To beat the same content for zillionth time?

Long time ago I was doing operations with my guild. Now I am not interested in that content at all, because:

a) getting people who want to do it is tough (you need to be in a guild at least)

b) PUGing system does not work AT ALL.

c) The OPS are way too long and little rewarding (especially with planned RNG – discussed elsewhere on this forum)

d) Done once or twice? Why do again? What new story plot, or decision change does await there?

e) I play for my own entertainment, not as a work – that I have already in real life.

Positive things are : Onderon – beautiful Egyptian style planet and

Mek-Sha – absolutely fantastic concept and design – looks very much like Blade Runner!

That’s all folks, now you can hate me as much as you want.

Well they don't seem to consider new players at all.

Just consider how lowbies/mids PVP are completely garbage/dead now. That's because there's zero incentives to play them.

Instead of cultivating a culture for new players to enter the game and advance in a fun way via PVP, they get to lvl 10, and find no reason to queue for PVP except for 4v4s and the thrill of queuing.

In the old days, we got WZ comms which could be used to buy top tier PVP gears so it benefited leveling your toon via PVP for the XP as well as the WZ comms which could be used to purchase PVP gears for that toon. The icing on top was we could even move the WZ comms to other alts and use them for other toons if need be.

I just want to point this out. It's a pattern they seem to repeat, that being new players simply are not given any consideration when it comes to game design changes for SWTOR, and another common pattern is gutting a working enjoyable game system for one that is less enjoyable.

Here's to hoping they make some significant changes before 6.0 goes live! I really hope crafting is rolled out in a good form, and I hope they peel back some of the RNG especially the vendors that sell items RNG style.

Just consider how lowbies/mids PVP are completely garbage/dead now. That's because there's zero incentives to play them.

Instead of cultivating a culture for new players to enter the game and advance in a fun way via PVP, they get to lvl 10, and find no reason to queue for PVP except for 4v4s and the thrill of queuing.

In the old days, we got WZ comms which could be used to buy top tier PVP gears so it benefited leveling your toon via PVP for the XP as well as the WZ comms which could be used to purchase PVP gears for that toon. The icing on top was we could even move the WZ comms to other alts and use them for other toons if need be.

You are absolutely right! I almost forgot about it, though whenI reach the fleet 1st time on any character, I alwasy queue for WZ, always. Sometimes I get the luck, but it is totally incomparable to what it was on early days.

indeed, that part is completely omitted by Bioware and it is a pict, because it IS a good way to learn PVP and also to earn some special rewards. Well, it WAS, not is. :(

After I rolled an Imp Nautolan yesterday, I was feeling really stupid missing the Odessen console that's supposed to be on Tython. I'm glad there actually isn't one-- well, not really. :D

How are you supposed to upgrade? Once I got my lvl 75, Korriban-geared Nautolan to the fleet, I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. I got a focus and a weapon with no mods inside, I have a billion credits, tons of exotic mats, and no way to get gear. How is everyone getting tech fragments?

*scratches head*

The whole "Welcome to the PTS" thread needs a tutorial :mad:

How are you supposed to upgrade? Once I got my lvl 75, Korriban-geared Nautolan to the fleet, I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. I got a focus and a weapon with no mods inside, I have a billion credits, tons of exotic mats, and no way to get gear. How is everyone getting tech fragments?

*scratches head*

The whole "Welcome to the PTS" thread needs a tutorial :mad:

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out, too. Each time you click on the leveling terminal, you'll get credits and tech fragments (you'll see them in the currency tab). When you hit the limit, you can spend them, then click again. Though honestly, for the VM flashpoints I tried, the bolster seemed to work pretty well. I felt like I was contributing even in the basic 268 starter gear.

I just want to point this out. It's a pattern they seem to repeat, that being new players simply are not given any consideration when it comes to game design changes for SWTOR, and another common pattern is gutting a working enjoyable game system for one that is less enjoyable.

Here's to hoping they make some significant changes before 6.0 goes live! I really hope crafting is rolled out in a good form, and I hope they peel back some of the RNG especially the vendors that sell items RNG style.

The two of us have only been posting this for the last 3 or is it now 4 years?

How bloody hard would it be for them to make some small changes like we’ve proposed in the past to incentivise people to play lowbie pvp as they level.

I’ve given up on them ever making lowbie or mid viable. If they dont care or want to do that, they should just make one reg pvp lvl and boost everyone to max lvl with gear and abilities, like other games like Gw2 do.

I’m still trying to figure out what the new mid bracket is going to be, 41-74? Imagine being the lvl 41 in that match up,

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out, too. Each time you click on the leveling terminal, you'll get credits and tech fragments (you'll see them in the currency tab). When you hit the limit, you can spend them, then click again. Though honestly, for the VM flashpoints I tried, the bolster seemed to work pretty well. I felt like I was contributing even in the basic 268 starter gear.

Edit: NVM, I am dumb. I have frags. Maybe I can actually buy something now :D

Edited by JainiaDral