New Operations Scaling Tech - Explanation and A Suggestion

matthaxian

I haven't seen this explained in depth, but as far as I am aware this is basically how it works:

It level syncs you down (lvl 50 for EV/KP for example).

But you gain stacks based on your item rating when you enter into a level scaled area.

Your Mastery, Power, and Endurance are increased according to how many stacks you have.

For example, on PTS version 1, when I geared up with 308 gear, I had 19 stacks.

On PTS 2.0, with 276 gear I had 3 stacks.

So your gear does matter.

As far as I can tell, this is the case with planetary and solo content too.

I had stacks while doing a solo FP and heroics on Alderaan.

However, level scaling as currently implemented still makes relics, stims, and adrenals utilizing mastery, power, or endurance useless.

Suggestion:

Instead of giving a defined stat benefit, give a percentage of stat benefit which ignores the stat squash.

Example:

Serend Assault Relic: damaging an enemy procs a 15% boost in power for 6 seconds.

This will allow us to use relics in all content and get a consistent benefit.

Right now as a DPS the only option I really have is devastating vengeance and the crappy alacrity clicky.

Can be used on the following:

Seren Assault Relic.

Focused Retribution Relic

Boundless Ages Relic

Versatile Stim

Adrenals

Also, It is going to be beneficial for dps/healers to gear with defense mods in level synced content.

The potential of running 20%+ defense without any dps loss will be a balancing and gearing issue.

Suggestion:

Swap Shield and Defense on tank gear as secondary and tertiary stats.

Shield on Mods and Shield and either defense of Absrob on Enhancements.

Since dps and healers don't carry shield generators, running shield mods in level synced content will give them no benefit. It also will help tanks because they will have a more balanced stat pool.

Edited by matthaxian

• 5 weeks later...

i wish they would scale and not cap.

lets say Alice is in 306 and Bob is in 268 gear and they are doing a lvl 70 vet op.

since crit, alacrity and accuracy only modify the base and bonus damage, you can simply scale the bonus damage by some factor that depends on the difference between some high gear point to their gear point.

assuming 358 gear is max gear at end of 6.x and 258 is the max ilvl of lvl 70 content, Alice's base and bonus damage would be scaled like 306/358=0.855 and Bob would be scaled like 268/358=0.749.

But you could do something even simpler which is scale everyone by the same amount 258/358=0.721

this way when you get a new mod or relic, you get to see the difference in dps in your parse, which is what gearing is all about (and killing things).

Edited by dipstik

how about this...

item rating for toon = X

min in toons range = r

max in toons range = R

min in instance = i

max in instance = I (wtb times new roman)

(X-r)/(R-r)=P for progress... this is you progress in you toons current level's item rating range. for lvl 70 r would be something like 226 and R would be 258. so if I was in 248 gear my progress would be P= (248-226)/(258-226)= 0.6875... so im about 69% of the way to max gear for my level... so in some sense you would think i should be scaled to 31% below the cap of the instance... but we dont want to talk in caps, we want to talk in scales...

now for a particular instance we might have a level 50 instance. the minimum item rating for lvl 50 gear is something like 108 (thats a level 48 green armoring ... resolve armoring 24 premium). So i=108. for the max it would be something like 154 (Artifact level Armoring 28 level 50).

So the Live scaling factor should be such that the progress in the toons current level is mirrors in the scaled level.

We want (L-i)/(I-i)=P, solving for L we get

L=P*(I-i)+i=[(X-r)/(R-r)]*(I-i)+i

So a level 70 toon in 248 gear would have their base and bonus damage scaled to 0.69*(154-108)+108=139.74

So what we want is a Scale (S) to turn our 248 into 139.74. So 248*S=139.74 gives S=L/X, which in this instance equals 0.563... this assumes that damage has been increasing linearly with item rating.

But we may be able to put bolster on top of these effects because of the following example:

A level 75 in item level 270 gear in a level 50 instance would be scaled down to L=[(270-268)/(306-268)}*(154-108)+108= 110.42, which gives 110.42/248 = 0.445 (like wearing Green Armoring 23 at item rating 108)

which sounds harsh, but it maybe bolster can be used for those near the floor of the range like we do currently...

how about this...

item rating for toon = X

min in toons range = r

max in toons range = R

min in instance = i

max in instance = I (wtb times new roman)

(X-r)/(R-r)=P for progress... this is you progress in you toons current level's item rating range. for lvl 70 r would be something like 226 and R would be 258. so if I was in 248 gear my progress would be P= (248-226)/(258-226)= 0.6875... so im about 69% of the way to max gear for my level... so in some sense you would think i should be scaled to 31% below the cap of the instance... but we dont want to talk in caps, we want to talk in scales...

now for a particular instance we might have a level 50 instance. the minimum item rating for lvl 50 gear is something like 108 (thats a level 48 green armoring ... resolve armoring 24 premium). So i=108. for the max it would be something like 154 (Artifact level Armoring 28 level 50).

So the Live scaling factor should be such that the progress in the toons current level is mirrors in the scaled level.

We want (L-i)/(I-i)=P, solving for L we get

L=P*(I-i)+i=[(X-r)/(R-r)]*(I-i)+i

So a level 70 toon in 248 gear would have their base and bonus damage scaled to 0.69*(154-108)+108=139.74

So what we want is a Scale (S) to turn our 248 into 139.74. So 248*S=139.74 gives S=L/X, which in this instance equals 0.563... this assumes that damage has been increasing linearly with item rating.

But we may be able to put bolster on top of these effects because of the following example:

A level 75 in item level 270 gear in a level 50 instance would be scaled down to L=[(270-268)/(306-268)}*(154-108)+108= 110.42, which gives 110.42/248 = 0.445 (like wearing Green Armoring 23 at item rating 108)

which sounds harsh, but it maybe bolster can be used for those near the floor of the range like we do currently...

I really like what you did with my simple suggestion about the scaling tech. Sadly we wont see anything near this in 6.0