Current set bonuses only valid until 74?!

Azreail

I've seen comments about the set bonuses disappearing so went to check it out. Gear that is transferred seems to be hit and miss, but if you go to Ossus on PTS and look at the 252 gear, every piece has a tooltip under the set bonus list:

"Requires level 50-74" i.e. the set bonus is not present if you are 75.

I get that you are trying to discourage people from mix and matching the current set bonuses with the new set bonuses, but this is ridiculous. Are we all meant to just accept our set bonuses being removed at 75? We might as well just have only three sets of 258 then (one tank set, one healer set, one dps set, maybe 2 more if you use specs with the alacrity bonuses).

This is not cool at all Bioware. You should be allowing us to at least get the full utility of our existing gear to tide us over during what looks to be a massive grind to improve it. Instead you are making it not just potentially underpowered, but not even useful for set bonus, thereby forcing us to grind as our current 258 is totally obsolete.

Not happy at all about this. There is no precedent for completely negating previous set bonuses with an expansion (yes, there's been plenty of times where new and old bonuses can't stack, but not to withdraw it completely).

Please tell me this isn't going live, and it's just your way of tryingto force people to test the new gear on pts?

I will be testing this today, but if this so called DOWNGRADING is what is going on, then please man it up and tell us that once you hit 75, your gear is no longer useable from a set bonus perspective, which half the servers will die off and people will leave.

Leave our old gear alone please, and you need to allow old gear and new gear as you have before be approved to work alongside the new set bonuses, especially our DvL set bonuses. And if so man it up and move our set bonuses on the gear that we are using and move the set bonus to the skin. I have 14 set bonus sets. If Bioware thinks for one moment that I will not use this gear for a while, then this is a sad sad day in HELL, and I am going to have to rethink how I play this game.

I am of two minds on this. I appreciate that getting rid of the old set bonuses frees up design space for the new ones. This benefit is not to be discounted, particularly in a situation with many different and interesting new set bonuses (many of which perhaps could not have been implemented alongside keeping old bonuses, for the sake of balance). At the same time, this represents an unwelcome change in an expansion's approach to gear. It's typical for a new expansion to politely encourage players to abandon old gear by making the new gear much better (and thus so much more desirable that we willingly abandon the old gear). It shouldn't be necessary to additionally completely disable the old set bonus. This feels like a deeper level of undoing people's hard work than previous expansions, and I think a lot of people won't like it, especially considering that it's quite hard to get new set bonus items in the new system (so many items being unmoddable greens, particularly at the start).

I noted with some sad nostalgia that even my old rakata set bonuses are now disabled at 75. I never wanted to use them at each new max level because the new stuff was better. If this is the first expansion that feels like it actively has to take them away, it makes me question why this particular expansion needs to take a heavy-handed approach that previous ones didn't (excepting how old PvP set bonuses vanished when they got rid of those).

Edited by Estelindis