The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why didn't Han Solo just pay Jabba after A New Hope?

I don't know if this has ever been asked, but I've always wondered about it.

In a New Hope Han gets his "reward" for recuing Leia and even tells Luke he has debts to pay off with it. Of course he decides to help the rebels and by the end of the movie he's a hero with Luke for destroying the Death Star.

But by the end of The Empire Strikes Back Han has been captured and Boba Fett is taking him to Jabba the hutt because Jabba apparently didn't get his payment. So why didn't Han just go pay Jabba in the time between the movies? I mean even if he decided to join the rebels he could have zipped back to Tattoine, paid of Jabba and then rejoined his friends, with the added benefit of not having Bounty Hunters after him.

Was this covered in a book or something?

I would recommend checking the Star Wars Wikia for that answer. While not an expert, I believe it was answered or referenced in an expanded universe book.

As those are no longer office canon, perhaps the current Star Wars comics have addressed it.

From what I recall in the expanded universe, the rebels were on the run since the Yavin 4 battle, and Han put his friends first by protecting them and getting them established elsewhere (e.g. Hoth).

Yes, Jabba still had a bounty for Han for his failure to pay, but between Jabba and the Empire (Vader), Vader was the bigger threat to Solo and his newfound family.

Since I really have just seen the movies (and maybe some of the comics WAAAAAYYYYY back in the 70s, its been a question I wonder about. I'm willing to hand wave it though because its not a plot hole to me. I just wondered about it.

That was the plan, but then stuff happened. Han stuck around enjoying that warm and fuzzy feeling of being a hero for once, and when he wanted to leave on Hoth, first Luke went missing, then the Empire came, and then Lando turned out to be a scoundrel.

Edited by Mubrak

Thanks.

The info in the wiki would have made a better movie than Solo. Too bad they didn't use it.

No problem :)

I agree. I much prefer Expanded Universe material compared to Disney Canon. Yes, as more books came out during the EU it got a bit convoluted and created some plot holes, but I enjoyed about 95% of it.

Only thing Disney has done that was any good was make Rogue One.

But everybody has their opinions. Some like what Disney has done so far, others not so much.

Legends was already explained, even though I don't tend to keep up with canon I guess I'll be the one to answer... and the answer IS... he just didn't, he makes a reference to not paying Jabba in TFA... so I guess that explains the plothole. But at the same time is a meh answer, not trying to hate on the movie but I just found that explanation not that much satisfying. At least after decades.

• 2 weeks later...

In a New Hope Han gets his "reward" for recuing Leia and even tells Luke he has debts to pay off with it. Of course he decides to help the rebels and by the end of the movie he's a hero with Luke for destroying the Death Star.

But by the end of The Empire Strikes Back Han has been captured and Boba Fett is taking him to Jabba the hutt because Jabba apparently didn't get his payment. So why didn't Han just go pay Jabba in the time between the movies? I mean even if he decided to join the rebels he could have zipped back to Tattoine, paid of Jabba and then rejoined his friends, with the added benefit of not having Bounty Hunters after him.

Was this covered in a book or something?

Last time I checked, people who trade and transport Spice, an addictive drug, are criminals. That's how he met Chewbacca. In the mines of Kessel, Wookiee slaves were worked to death turning medicinal spice mineral into a recreational drug.

Apparently he neglected to pay some more people who he owed money to just prior to the Force Awakens, two sets of people come looking for him at the same time in one of the early scenes of the movie.

Han Solo is a criminal. A very likeable criminal, to be sure, but a criminal nonetheless. Smuggling is always a crime. [noun: smuggling - the illegal movement of goods into or out of a country.]

It's part of his charm. :cool:

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx